Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55-59 disc brake kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff56, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Jeff56

Jeff56

Hey guys I have a 56 Chevy truck with the dropped axle in it. I have the disc brake conversion kit from speedway motors. The rotors in that kit came with 5x4.75. My Rearend is a 5x5. Speedway sells a 5x5 front rotor. Can I just buy that rotor and the necessary bearing cup to go in the rotor that fits my spindle and be good to go or is there more involved? Thank you. I can’t get ahold of speedway. Currently ona 1hr and 25 min hold and counting. Thank you

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I know they sell their disc brake kits as 4.75" or 4.5", but whether the dimensions are the same for the 5" pattern I can't say. Pretty sure you're going to have to put the phone on speaker, and just wait for a tech to answer.

Budget36 likes this.
  3. Theres always the re-drill the back to the smaller pattern.

4. brading

brading

Is it not possible to redrill your rotors to the 5" PCD

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The rotors may not have a large enough flange to drill the larger pattern, and not be too close to the edge.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What rear do you have with a 5 on 5? I’ve drilled both my Pontiac’s to 5 on 4-3/4. Was your dropped axle drum brakes 5 on 5. I’ve never hubs for that. Stock was 6 on 5-1/5. Is it a wheel match deal? If not I’d redrill the rear.

7. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I believe most conversions for 5 lug on the '55-59 Chevy trucks use the early 70's Camaro rotor so there's where you're getting your bolt pattern from. In those kits there's also a stepped adapter that adapts the inward bearing of the rotor to the spindle. The truck spindle is an odd size so if you start swapping rotors you'd have to check all of this. Plus you'd also have to see where you would wind up with the caliper to rotor relationship after everything's all bolted together. Most people, if it's not a 4x4, have different size wheels on the front as compared to the rear. If you're doing this and won't be rotating wheels and tires from front to rear, like jimmy six says, can you have mixed patterned wheels or redrill the rear axle? The redrilling of the rear end sounds like less headache.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On GM cars 5 on 5 bolt pattern has a larger diameter rotor. Think 5 on 4-3/4 little as in 11 inch rotor and 5 on 5 as big brakes or a 11.860 diameter rotor. Simply meaning that you aren't going to be able to run to the parts house and grab a pair of 5 on 5 rotors that are 11.005 od. I'm pretty sure that at least the inner wheel bearings are different on big and small rotors too as the spindles are different.

Truth be know it is probably a lot simpler to redrill the rear axles than change the front over.

Scarebird doesn't sell a conversion for TF trucks at all. I just looked on their sight.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that Tailgater is correct in that the AD and TF truck disk conversions use the 72 Chevelle/Monte Carlo style rotor rather than the 73/77 rotor.

10. brading

brading

Thank for the reply. Thought I would see if that was an option for the OP. Cheers Paul