Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Holley fast idle pin pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pvfjr, Sep 8, 2021.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

Anyone have pics of the fast idle pin and screw? I'm working with a 2300G, and it seems the PO discarded these parts and just cranked the idle up to 1500 permanently so it'd start OK. Ugh. The fast idle cam has nothing to engage--nothing but an empty bore sitting there.
    [​IMG]

Numbers 34 and 94 in the IPB:
    https://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_2300-2300g.pdf

I'm thinking a guy could maybe rig something up by tapping a little dowel and running a screw into it. But, it also seems the fast idle pin ought to index on something to prevent it from rotating in the bore when the screw is turned.

2. Items in question highlighted.

Attached Files:

pvfjr likes this.
  3. egads

egads

Just wondering, why are you using a carb with a governor on it? Might have to go to a truck junk yard to find one of those for part's. 2 or 4 barrel with the governor should have what you need. ( Or swap it out for a regular 2300 )

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  4. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

It's on a IHC 392. I believe they're known for not appreciating high revs, so I assume IH was just trying to protect the motor. Does the regular 2300 have a different fast idle setup? I don't know where around me I'd be able to find parts, and time is of the essence. I imagine a drill press and a file will be employed in the solution here, I just gotta figure out what I'm trying to make. I'm not sure what the bottom end of the pin looked like. It appears to neck down in some way.

I'm happy to keep this carb if I can. Kind of a devil-you-know situation. Overall it's in reasonable shape, and the quirks it has can be remedied.

Deuces likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I bet you'd have better luck some place like binderplanet....that is not like the normal Holley carb

Deuces likes this.
  6. egads

egads

2300 fast idle is completely different. I tossed quite a few of these when I switched them over to a 2300. Like I said, you probably have to find a truck yard, older farms, hiding in fence row's, etc. Ford, Chevy, International bigger trucks, 2 or 4 barrel with a governor, would probably have what you need.

7. If you're not running a choke, it would seem that the fast idle cam and adjuster screw really don't have much to do. Does a Holley 2300 have a separate adjustment somewhere for "curb idle" that doesn't use the fast idle cam?

Deuces likes this.
  8. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

I'll check that out, thanks. I guess I hadn't realized they'd changed up the fast idle mechanism so much on account of the governor design.

Well on this 2300G, the idle screw is right below the bore for that fast idle pin. I am running a manual choke, that's the only way she'll start. The PO cranked the curb idle up to 1500 on account of there being no fast idle mechanism. It starts fine that way, but is obnoxious pulling up to stop signs.

9. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

I couldn't find any good reference material, pics, or advice, so I just kinda reverse engineered the thing and built a replacement. 1/4x1/2 spacer threaded for 6-32 did the trick. I noticed a small roll pin bisecting the side of the bore, so a D flat keeps the spacer from rotating when the screw is turned. Works like a charm. It was a bit of guess and check to get the nub on the bottom end the right length (shorter than in the pic, about 1/8").

PXL_20210914_022534559.jpg

ClayMart, egads and Fordors like this.