Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60's Era Street/Strip Model A Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by -Brent-, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Looks great! More pics of that cabinet please???

2. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I don’t think that’s a cabinet, they’re fancy doors Brent hung. Go on the Garage Journal and it’s all there! Very nice shop that Brent built.

loudbang, Stogy, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  3. -Brent-

-Brent-

Italian Cabinet Door Slider.jpg

Yes, they’re "barn door" sliders, of sorts. They’re from Italy, originally. I stripped them of a decades of lead paint, refinished and repurposed them.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Model A's...the compact cars of the Yesteryear...they really are pretty small inside...

I'm 5.11 and the Ole Sporty has 2.5 maybe a bit more out of the top and theres only a single rib running across about 3 or 4 inches forward of the forehead...it actually does provide support for the roof too...there is no interior just painted aluminum...but headroom is limited as is the vision forward...I do drive with a bit of a slouch as looking straight ahead sitting back I'm staring at header panel...

I have a stock style seat that I've had 1.5" removed from the lower bench however it could use another inch or more...can't remember what you're using but I suspect you'll be sitting real close to the floor...

Looking good Hotrodder...;)

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

@Stogy the seats are 66 Mustang seats with sliders. They're not mounted yet so they're sitting on the end of the mounting bolts. I plan to keep the front seat hight about where it is (with a spacer yet to be fabbed) and let the back of the rails sit in their normal mount surface. So, not much difference.

The car has really been planned so I fit as well as possible.

Oh... and compared to T they're roomy!:D

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah I really like them T's too...like you said you are building your ride and tuning it which truly is necessary for many depending on height and even leg length...I bought mine already together and I love the bench which wasn't even bolted in when I got it...and me and the Missus found out that first time I hit the brakes real hard...:confused:...oh it wasn't the brakes...:eek:...didn't take long to fix that...:D

Poor Mrs. Stogy first ride in a Hotrod ever and I thought I had the TH350 in 2nd and pushed the shifter forward and no safety neutral it went right into reverse or park and we both went for the dash and wshield seat glued to our asses...:p

Makes me think about those drives around the field sitting on a plastic milk carton...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    catdad49, brady1929, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mustang seats are pretty low profile, good choice...and the package tray out or trimmed helps get some precious inches

catdad49, brady1929, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks great Brent. I know how much extra time and effort taking detailed photos the way can be.

the sliding doors/ window cover are cool but I immediately went to the plug in/ lights built up high! Got a link to the garage journal build thread?

Stogy, Thor1, -Brent- and 1 other person like this.
  9. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, Tim!

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/a-garage-rehabbed.344305/

It's a long one.

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

Chopping Model A Rear Window Wood (Part 1: Converting a Deluxe Roll Up/Down Window Opening to Standard) :

Hey, remember how I said:

Well, I should have just kept that thought to myself. Hahaha!

Last night as things were winding down at home, I went out to the garage to get the rear window wood chopped and fit into the coupe. I set the top piece in place and no issue, it made sense. When I went to test the lower piece, something was off.

I'll be honest, I've NEVER paid any attention to the details of a rear window opening beyond casually looking at pics or, just recently, looking to see which way the wood is oriented.

Because I was genuinely stumped, I went online to search for detailed pics. Again, this isn't something that a lot of people are chatting about. I made a post here and over on FordBarn and the HAMB came through late at night and confirmed what I was assuming after my searching - this body originally had a roll up/down window.

Model A Window Opening For a Roll Up Down Window.jpg Deluxe Model A Coupe Rear Window Opening for Roll Up Down Window.jpg

Since that doesn't fit the plan, I had to figure out what to do. The bottom of the window opening, where the metal has horizontal slots, that's for a window clearance and such.

I want a standard, no frills, back window. I want simple and the most space as possible. I figured I should go about replicating the top side of the window opening.

First thing, I trimmed off some sheetmetal that was spot welded to the bottom flange.

Trimmings Removed from Side of Window Opening.jpg

With that gone, I grabbed a piece of 1/8" thick 1" flat stock and cut 2 pieces just a bit wider than the area I was working. I drilled some 1/4" holes and put some hardware in. That way both pieces would sandwich the sheetmetal the same.

Bending Tool Fab.jpg
    (The old, trusty Craftsman/Atlas drill press.)

From there, I eyeballed each end and tried to make them equal (using the slots as reference) and tightened each end. I did this a couple times to get it as close as possible.

Bending Sheet Metal in the Car By Hand.jpg Bending Sheetmetal By Hand.jpg

Then, I grabbed a bunch of vice grips and clamped it. I didn't think about taking any pics until I was about 80° into the bend. Haha. It worked really well. Most of the bend is sharp but the driver's side must've not been as tightly clamped, it's not as crisp. I'll try to work it into a better bend, but it's not really an issue. It all looks pretty decent, actually.

Standard Wood Now Fits.jpg 90 Bent to Fit Standard Rear Wood.jpg

Now, we're at the point where I can start fitting the rear window wood kit. I'll have to drill a few holes for nailing but that's about it.

Almost Ready to Fit the Wood Kit.jpg

11. The wood tech is awesome! A lot of guys know nothing of this. You did a great job for a 1st time wood butcher!

12. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, Trent! Oh, and I've butchered some wood in the past... even been paid for it. Haha.

I was pretty surprised that I didn't really find much on chopping body and window wood. So, I made a post that would have helped me.

I appreciate the compliment , truly.

31chevymike, catdad49, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  13. I wish I would have done a post when I scratch built that Vicky wood. We need more info like that out there.

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

Chopping Model A Coupe Rear Window Wood (Part 2):

Back at it.

First thing, I spent a minute and fixed the bend that didn't match up quite right.

Then I got after fitting the window wood.

Here's how the top joint fits. Since I was shortening, I figured I would make it fit all the way in the joint.

How Notch Fit Before.jpg

I laid it in and marked it.

Coupe Rear Window Wood Fitment .jpg

I pulled out the table saw for this job since the pieces are flat and way easier to work with.

When I got the top section set, I refit it and laid out the bottom. Then it was pass after pass on the saw.

Trimmed Window Wood.jpg

Chopped vs full height:

Chopped Compared to Full Length.jpg

I tested the chopped piece on the other side of the frame and it was close enough to copy.

Both Pieces Chopped.jpg

After both pieces were done, I sanded the lap joint sections with 150 grit and test-fit everything. If you look at the upper lap joints you can see how there's no gap anymore but they are a tad too long.

Chop Almost Complete.jpg

Close up. The header portion and the side pieces were taken over to the bench and the contour was marked.

Marked for trimming.jpg

Now we have another detail that nobody but us will ever see. Hahaha.

Wood Contoured to Match.jpg

And mocked into place:

30 A Coupe Rear Window Wood Chop Done.jpg

Before I can make this all final, I need to address a few pinholes in the chop and a little ticky-tacky weld stuff that got missed. All simple stuff for another day.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they own an A Bone they'll have to learn or farm it out as there wasn't to many parts in my purchased Kit that didn't need rework even though it wasn't chopped...

I was actually thinking of Henry's crew on the line...there must have been chips and curls everywhere...in fact I figured there must have been wood specific department and I'm sure they were really busy...

Back window wood looks Awesome @-Brent-

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  16. -Brent-

-Brent-

Progress continues to inch along:

I couldn't find the screws that came with the wood kit but luckily I found some old wood screws in my hardware cabinet.

Vintage Wood Screws.jpg

As I was assembling the frame on the workbench thought came to mind that I probably shouldn't glue and screw this thing together so permanently without a check because it might not fit.

But, in a rare moment, I didn't dwell or triple check, I just ran with it.

Model A Rear Window Wood Glued and Screwed.jpg Chopped Rear Window Wood Frame .jpg

After it was all done, it popped in like I was seasoned pro. I'm thrilled with the way the wood is coming out.

Now I need to figure out those pieces below the 1/4 windows.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    31chevymike, Stogy, patmanta and 16 others like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Nice! Wood requires more patience than I usually have, because there is no welding it back together.

Stogy, Thor1, 427 sleeper and 3 others like this.
  19. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

20. -Brent-

-Brent-

Tonight, I put in an hour or so getting some random things done.

The lower block/spacers that allow the bracket that connects the B pillar to the quarter window wood are done. I put dowels where the bracket screws may come close or hit.

Quarter Window Blocks Clamped 2.jpg Quarter Window Blocks Clamped .jpg Quarter Window Wood Blocks Installed.jpg

There's only a few things wood-related left to do.

I drilled 3/32 nail holes, 8 holes to match the top.

Drilled Nail Holes for Model A Rear Wood Kit.jpg

Here's some paint that was on the A at one point. I had a CJ7 that was a similar blue.

One of the Coupe's Old Colors.jpg

One of the next projects is figuring out my shifter offset and height. I found this old, bent, and well beat-up Hurst offset shifter stick. I think the offset is probably the best it can be but the bend and height are wrong. The shift knob lands just under my knee when in reverse... haha.

Offset Hurst Shifter Stick Model A with 4 speed 3.jpg

It had to be ground down to fit before I could bolt it in. Then, I cleaned up the threads and threaded on an old truck knob I had. I'm going to mess with this a bit, clean it up, and bend it so it's straight up from the second bend.

Offset Hurst Shifter Stick Model A with 4 speed 2.jpg Offset Hurst Shifter Stick in Model A with 4 speed.jpg

I'm still going to run the diamond shifter stick and I have some plans for that. I need to get some gas for the torch to bend some bar stock for an offset bracket.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    31chevymike, Stogy, patmanta and 11 others like this.
  21. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

@-Brent- The stick and its placement in the cab are paying great homage to the era of the build - love it

22. brady1929

brady1929

Looks great.

Stogy, loudbang and -Brent- like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good.

I’m very green when it comes to real wood work. So to clarify you’re drilling a hole then inserting the dowl- press fit or glue?- in spots where a screw may land. Is this going to give it better bite when you screw into it compared to an untouched spot?

Stogy, loudbang, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  24. -Brent-

-Brent-

I glued my dowels.

It doesn't give better bite but in the case of these spots, there would be screw heads where the bracket mount screw would go. It's an old way to fasten a joint.

Originally, Ford used dowels in their quarter window wood, too. (Ford's joints on the quarter windows were tongue and groove with dowels inserted.)

Here is an original:

Original Ford Quarter Window Wood .jpg Original Ford Wood Dowling.jpg Dowels In 1930 Ford Quarter Window .jpg

On the other areas of the quarter windows I put dowels in to both fasten the joint (where it was chopped) and at angles in the corners to prevent screws pulling out.

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh ok I “see” it clearer now. Thanks man :)

kidcampbell71, loudbang and -Brent- like this.
  26. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

your long past it but for someone just getting to the rear window...
    i set mine up to be locked all the way up or unlocked it drops about 4", for some flow-through air...
    dead bolt and a hockey stick... DSCN0914.JPG DSCN0741.JPG

27. -Brent-

-Brent-

Greenline Stewart Warners have always been my favorite. I've been keeping my eye out for a tach with a cleaner face to match the others. They pop up often but they're always at a premium.

SW 8K TACH SUN CUP.jpg Greenline SW Tach 8k.jpg

Recently, I saw an eBay ad with a 8k Greenline sitting, partly in a chrome Sun cup. They were accepting offers, I made a fair one and it arrived in my mailbox today.

Not wasting any time, the tach was pulled from the cup and mocked up.

Greenline Stewart Warner Sun Chrome Cup.jpg

Before:

Off-color Greenline in hot rod dash.jpg

After:

Matching SW Greenline Faces.jpg

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've been working on parts of the wood kit before I can seal it. More on that later. However, I wanted to keep the dust out of the shop, so I rolled the car out to work on it.

Afterward, I blew off the dust and while the kids were playing in the yard, I mocked up the taillights and license plate lights (now that I can access them).

Throughout the day I had been chatting with a pal and he said I needed to step back and give an overall pic of the rear of the car.

It's a neat shot, so I figured I'd share.

Three Quarter Model A Rear.jpg

A progress update will come soon.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  29. catdad49

catdad49

Love the taillights, not a fan of the tag lights. My 2 cents.

-Brent- likes this.