Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need electric experts.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CadMad, Sep 7, 2021.

1. CadMad

CadMad

C84AF0D5-EF44-4A5B-BF33-D62C31C0A6D2.jpeg 40F9C4D5-5744-49FB-BEC8-1603175EE96E.jpeg Ok. So I’m using a 2004 Saab conv mechanism on my 39 Packard. I’m bypassing the original computer brain box and want to run the three operations manually.
    The Saab pump has three solenoids which control the 6 operations in total required.
    1and 2. Raise and lower hard boot
    3 and 4. Raise and lower rear bow
    5 and 6. Raise and lower roof.

With the top down the 4 operations to raise are….
    1. Raise hard boot .
    2. Raise roof
    3. Raise rear bow
    4. Lower hard boot.

To lower the roof the operations are
    1. Raise rear bow
    2. Raise hard boot
    3. Lower rear bow
    4. Lower roof
    5. Lower hard boot

The pump needs a forward/reverse polarity switch and then I assume 3 x 3 way toggle switches to operate each solenoid individually.
    Any help appreciated by electrical buffs to a simple schematic.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  2. greybeard360

greybeard360

It could be done like the Ford retractable and Lincoln convertibles using limit switches and relays. Not an easy schematic to draw...

3. CadMad

CadMad

Don’t need or want limit switches. Too complicated. A friend in Sweden is using the same roof mech and came up With this schematic but I just need to get my head around it a little more. 2E53F8F7-51BA-4ADA-863E-3CADE7E0FF2F.jpeg

4. squirrel

squirrel

If each thing you need to power has only two wires, and you need to send + and - one way to get it to move one way, and switch polarity to move the other way, then it shouldn't be too difficult.

To do this with a toggle switch, you need a Double Pole, Double Throw switch for each unit. Get them with Center Off, Momentary contact

This is how you wire each one

DC-motor-reversing-switch-schematic-wiring-diagram-285x275.jpg

5. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

What squirrel said That’s the easiest way to do it

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  6. CadMad

CadMad

That’s a good one. Thankyou.
    Yes the motor has two wires.
    Each of the 3 solenoids has two wires.
    So 4 switches should do it.
    So I think I should also add a momentary on/off power button to the motor power .
    Then for each operation, position my switches… then hit the power button.???

7. squirrel

squirrel

If you do it that way, then get the switches that are NOT momentary contact. Only the main power button would be momentary.

That sounds like a better way to do it.

8. CadMad

CadMad

Perfect. Thanks Squirrel. I’ll have a play and give a progress report later in the week.

9. Jim, you're only covering 1/2 of the operations he needs. That will reverse the motor, what operates the solenoids?

If I'm understanding how this works, you power up whichever solenoid/function you need, then forward/reverse the pump for up/down. Is that correct? If that's the case, this is how I'd do it...

top.jpg

The control switch is a 2P2T momentary contact with a center off; I'd recommend 10A minimum contacts, three needed. The two relays are standard Bosch 30A SPDT. I'm only showing one control switch, when adding the other two switches run each solenoid separate as shown, but parallel the up/down motor leads to the 85 terminals on the relays. Using relays takes the pump motor inrush current off the switches as well as offering a 'interlock' of sorts preventing trying to run the pump both directions at once. Also offers the option of running two up OR down operations at once if that's possible with the internal hydraulic valving.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  10. squirrel

squirrel

Tell me how the solenoids work...they have two wires each. Is there a common ground, and each wire pulls the solenoid a different direction?

If that's the case, then a SPDT switch for each would work.

I don't have enough info to know for sure how this thing works.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  11. CadMad

CadMad

Yes Crazy Steve.
    1. Select individual solenoid depending on operation.
    2. select motor in forward or reverse.
    3. Momentary ON button for power.

12. 5window

5window

13. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Use the computer that does it, will save a lot of thinking and excessive alcohol consumption. You could make a rotating switch , imagine a light switch, first segment does first job next does second then third if it’s rotated by the top mech by linkage or direct you should be able to make something up ( I made a switch using epoxy resin and copper nails as the segments you may need overlapping segments for the change from one to another, at different diameters)

14. CadMad

CadMad

I’m bypassing the computer and micro switches. Too much drama.

15. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, CadMad;
    I'd like to see how you do this, & how your friend has, too. Hope you succeed.(Read: Sincerity, + Ulterior Motive... :D ).
    W/o the SAAB reader & their computer-database, info is hard to come by, books are rare... I don't have either, although a friend does, he's probably the best SAAB mech in the 5-state area. Not on this board & doesn't alter SAAB stuff. ;( . +, he limits how many converts he works on, says they drive him wonky. :D . Anyways, I think you are missing some "top-action(s)". Unless your friend already scienced this one out... this is what I've noticed on my '04 9-3 Areo 'vert:
    To drop top:
    1). Rear of top raised.
    2). Top boot cover raises n moves out of way.
    3). Top unlatches, only, at w/s bow.
    4). Rear of top drops to orig position.
    5). Top lowers into trunk, folding as it goes in.
    6). Boot cover moves back to orig position.
    You can feel each operation as the hyd start n stop.
    Raise top is reverse.
    There are a number of hyd-powered sequences to follow.
    The top w/s latching cyl is hard to find, & expensive to have rebuilt. Had one done once so far. Leaks show up as hyd oil dripping onto your lap &/or oil all over thew/s top edge.
    Guessing the top cyl on each side under n behind the top main bow aren't cheap either. Get to do one of those real soon-like. Seal leaks, I think. Hoses don't seem to be much of an issue. There are also a number of "safety" sensors that can be annoying cause they prevent the top from working, if the oem cmptr is used, I know why you don't want to use it. BTW, even though it probably doesn't apply to you, he has warned me to never put top down if <65*F. Too hard on seals, = expensive repair(s), sooner or later.
    Will be watching this one w/lots of interest.
    Marcus...

Torana68 has a good idea. Gillig buses that I work on, have a 5-position rotary HVAC sw(incl off). Very heavy duty, should be able to find one w/a 6 position, or more. I can get a part# if you need, maybe mfgr too.?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  16. CadMad

CadMad

Gday nrgwizard, I shortened the roof 12 inches and changed the front header to suit the V windshield. So the front header ram will not be used. I’ll relocate it to do something cool once I get everything else going.
    I have my head around it now, so just a case of getting the switches and having a play… hopefully on the weekend.

pprather likes this.
  17. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Please post-up good pics of what you do. The SAAB top is decent, if all the "interferences" can be deleted.
    TIA.
    Marcus...