Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ever heard of a Jones Quick Change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by GreggAz, Oct 20, 2005.

1. verde742

verde742

I see this is a really old post, but I've missed it.
    I have a Jones Quick Change in my Big Red truck.

2. Magfiend

Magfiend

I've got one as well - Champ style but with a six bolt rear cover like a V8...

3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Pictures?
    We love Pictures!

loudbang likes this.
  4. Sean Fore

Sean Fore

My dad drove for Levi a couple times and against him a lot back in the '90s. The car dad drove for Levi was the old #7crown super dirt modified, or "skeeter car". Dad always said that was a rocket sled. The wing said "Happy Birthday Phillis" Phillis being Levi's wife. First time he ever drove the car was at Oglethorpe Raceway (or Speedway, I was like 8 at the time). After a bad start to the day with a broken drive plate dad worked his way up through the field and finished 4th in the heat. He won the feature one the last, or next to the last lap by passing on the outside of Phil Barkin in one of his 21jr. cars, as he always had several different ones. My dad always said that was the fastest car he ever drove.

My Dad, Pat Fore, and Levi had an unusual but close friendship for several years until my dad just couldn't afford to race anymore. I wish I had some video or pictures.

5. 6sally6

6sally6

Any relations to Ben Jones of up state SC?!
    Big FoMoCo racer
    6sally6

6. rfraze

rfraze

IMG_1130.JPG IMG_1131.JPG IMG_1132.JPG Marty Strode sent me this link, in reference to a Jones MiniQC I just got. Any info? Interest? Any idea what it bolts to? I read some of the possibilities above.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is an interesting piece. With the input and output being in line with each other, there must be a countershaft with gears in the upper part of the housing. I'd like to see the inside of it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

kidcampbell71 and Stan Back like this.
  9. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

That type of quick change was first made by Jim Collier of Seattle around 1950. The first ones were for Ford banjo rear ends. They used standard Halibrand gears.
    I worked for Jones for awhile in the 60's and remember seeing some of those in the shop.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. rfraze

rfraze

Thanks for replies. Maybe I will get it apart before it goes away.

11. Donnie Williams

Donnie Williams

12. Donnie Williams

Donnie Williams

Hello Levie! My name is Donnie Williams. I worked for your grandpa back in the 80’s when he was on Iowa St in Indianapolis. I programmed and ran his CNC turning center, gear cutting machine and splining machine. Sometimes all 3 at the same time. We once made 50 sets of Mag wheels for Shelby. He was an incredible man. I called him a mad scientist, but he was really an incredible engineer, machinist and mentor. We fussed a lot. He fired me 10 times, I quit about as many. I wish I could go back. Super cool place to work. I tried to find him in the early 00’s. I wanted to see if he wanted to hire/fire me one more time for old time sake. Please tell Ben I said hello and that I miss him too!

loudbang likes this.
  13. Donnie Williams

Donnie Williams

He was a crazy man in the foundry. We used magnesium that no one else could use. He would break up cold kettles of magnesium that usually went to the land fill because remelting them would cause explosions. We would break them up with jack hammers and various saws into smaller pieces/explosions. Explosions that the fire department didn’t hear. I caught the big engine lathe on fire once. The chips would burn as bright as a welders flash. Only black foundry sand would put it out.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Donnie Williams

Donnie Williams

I worked for him for several years in Indy. I loved it! I am a tool & die maker but ended up running his CNC turning center. Come to think of it, I don’t remember there being a bathroom there either. Levie had a dog, a cat, a ferret and a cockatoo. All of which ate right from Levies lunch. Great guy…

loudbang likes this.