Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Straight axle camber questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Scott, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Scott

Scott

I have what I believe to be an old Total Performance dropped axle. Im going to use this on a parallel leaf spring project. The kingpin bosses have a .741 hole which matches a 61-63 Econoline king pin. also the height of the boss matches. the boss is set at about 8* of negative camber.
    I would like to have the bosses machined out for the 49-54 chevy car spindles and king pins.
    My question is , will there be a camber difference between the econoline spindle and the chevy spindle.
    Another question is the chevy king pin is .867, should I have the boss reamed to that exact size or give it some clearance .001?
    Any knowledgeable help will be appreciated.
    Don't need "why don't you just "opinions
    As alway thank you HAMB, Ive been hangin around here since ought4

Attached Files:

2. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

A beam axle is not a straight axle.

gimpyshotrods, Deuces and X38 like this.
  3. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

You know what he's referring to thoe.

This link can help, I would mock up with spindles.
    ( set caster spec @ ride height ) take measurements , to see where your camber is , then go from there , there are few techniques to adjust camber.
    Hot Rodder's / Racer have accomplished issues over the years.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/straight-axle-camber.1015691/

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    Deuces and Bob Lowry like this.
  4. KenC

KenC

I think the term you're looking for is kingpin inclination, not camber. Matching that on both the spindle and axle. Maybe try looking up the specs for the axle you have and the spindles you want to use.

myergin, pitman and X38 like this.

5. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Total Performance did use Econoline spindles. I believe that you will find that the kingpin inclination is different on the Chevy spindles. If it was an I beam axle you could simply bend it to want you need. On a tube axle you will most likely need to reweld the kingpin bosses.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Kingpin inclination is not camber. Camber is how much the tires angle in or out at the top when looking at the car from the front. Positive camber means the tires lean in at the top, while negative camber they lean out. Almost all suspension works well with a small amount of positive camber, and some track cars have a lot more positive camber.

gimpyshotrods and olscrounger like this.
  7. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

You can change caster with shims under the springs but to change camber you have to bend the axle...

jimmy six likes this.
  8. pitman

pitman

Compatible spindle & axle, for king pin inclination, sounds like first order of business.

Scott likes this.
  9. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I think you meant to say: Camber is positive when the top of the wheel leans out. It is negative when it leans inwards (towards the car) at the top.

10. Scott

Scott

That is the question

pitman likes this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

econoline KPI 7.5 degrees

49-54 chevy KPI 4 degrees

it ain't gonna work

12. Scott

Scott

Thank you Jim

13. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

nearly every sprint car spindle used currently is a copy of the econoline spindle-BUT they are made with a 10 degree kingpin angle-there are still some 7.5 KPI floating around at swap meets,so be careful what you buy!!

Scott likes this.
  14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I thought copy of IH Scout.

15. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

The spindle used for most of the 50's and 60's in sprint car was the I.H. spindle [K5?]it was heavy but tough-it had about a 10 degree KPI-when weight became more of an issue the econoline spindle came into more common use,but with the 7.5 KPI the handling changed-the result was companies began making copys of the econoline,but with the 10 degree angle.still ued today with different snouts for different style hubs

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Lots of guys use Econoline spindles on late 30's Chevy car front axles. Same angle, and allows for a 5 bolt hub, or disc brake conversion easier.

jimmy six likes this.