Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 Closed Cab Pickup Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NealinCA, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Nobey

Nobey

Fantastic build Neal. I run the red wires in the stock Ford tubes with a Malory distributor on my 59AB in my 41
    pickup. No problems what so ever. Do you have a set of boots for the wires on the crab cap?

loudbang likes this.
  2. NealinCA

NealinCA

Thanks for the feedback on the red wires. The boots are on order, along with the brass contacts. I still need to trim and finish the distributor ends of the wires.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Neilb

Neilb
    from Mead Co

Dad and son posts always get to me….beautiful engine!

cactus1, deathrowdave and loudbang like this.
  4. 33tall.jpg 33atspeed.jpg Love it! I put a 33 together some years ago. Cab channeled the height of the frame and then welded to the rails. My X member was hacked up too. I ran a stock 59AB with a T-5 trans after fixing the frame. Cut my top 4.5" with a late van 3rd seat. Fun, fun!

cactus1, Stogy, brEad and 5 others like this.
  5. NealinCA

NealinCA

Rocky - When I first joined the HAMB 20+ years ago, it was your 33 pickup, SamIyam's Roach Rod, Mart's Ol Rusty, and Mild Mitch's modified that were the inspiration for my RPU. I first planned on channeling it like yours, but then realized my 6'2" self would not fit inside.
    [​IMG]

So I ended up with this...with a 59AB and a T-5 trans...just like you did. I remember watching a video of a ride along in your truck and the T-5 sounded so fun, I wanted one too.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the inspiration.

Neal

A Boner, cactus1, Tman and 16 others like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

I wonder how many other HAMBers has Rocky corrupted over the years?

cactus1, brEad, -Brent- and 6 others like this.
  7. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's funny,I was a lurker for several years. Your green flathead, the awesome Bead roller upgrade, and that roadster pickup ,along with Rocky coupe build convinced me I had found the right home.Ryan's 38 burnout video pushed me over the edge..Glad you're back.

8. Graham08

Graham08

Great build! @NealinCA , how comfortable is your 32 truck at 6'-2"? I love the looks of 32-34 pickups, but I'm 6'-3"...so I had always wondered how I would fit in one.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Really cool. I'm pretty anti-flathead for purely practical reasons, but dang it threads like this make me want one.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@NealinCA your builds are so incredibly cool and inspiring and attention to details is off the charts and thanks for sharing.
    @Rocky truck also inspired me to get a truck and enjoy it,I have always love the look.

@Graham08 i am your height and have no issues fitting but on long full day drives the foot gets sore because of the gas pedal angle and my size 13 feet.

Graham08 and loudbang like this.
  11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

For all you tall guys with a 32/34 pickup. While it's not traditional I installed a cruise control in my last 2 deuce pickups which allowed some stress relief on the right leg.

12. Nobey

Nobey

My cruise control is a little knob on the dash that says throttle, it works well. I must admit your foot can get stove
    up in a pickup and whatever kind of relief you find is a good thing......

Jeff34 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Outstanding thread and work as usual Neal, looks fantastic!

loudbang likes this.
  14. Mart

Mart

Hey, thanks for the name check, Neal. Glad to have helped in some small way. The tables are turned now. I look to your workmanship for inspiration.

Blues4U, A Boner and loudbang like this.
  15. My Friend has that 39 Coupe here in New Zealand, just been through a rebuild after having it on the road as found for sometime, Running a Y Block. I thought I recognised your pick up from his photos but wasnt sure. He calls it the San Lorenzo Coupe

Attached Files:

Nominal, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  16. NealinCA

NealinCA

In my 32 RPU, I used a modified 28-29 Model A seat riser in place of the stock gas tank, to get the seat bottom lower.
    [​IMG]

I made a simple square tube riser with similar dimensions for the closed cab pickup...
    [​IMG]

I am using 33-34 pickup cushions, so it has a 1 piece lower. I fit OK in the cab, but the original seat springs are not great for long trips. I think I want to have some high density foam cushions made for a little more support.

Tman, nunattax, Hamtown Al and 3 others like this.
  17. NealinCA

NealinCA

Some asked why I wasn't going to paint the truck, so here...I painted the rear fenders :)

The truck had 1930 Chevy rear fenders on it, which didn't look right. I traded for some original Ford pickup rear fenders, but wanted them to blend in with the rest of the truck. I know the whole fake patina thing doesn't sit well with some, but here goes anyway.

They were pretty nice old fenders...

[​IMG]
    After some careful prep, I sprayed on a custom blend of blue/grey to match what was on the truck...

[​IMG]

I did the dropped headlight bar ends while I was at it.

Then I "accidentally" spilled some metal shavings from my bandsaw on the fresh paint...

[​IMG]

Then rinsed it off with vinegar, hydrogen peroxide and finally wiped with an oily scotch brite pad, I think they match the rest of the truck pretty well...

[​IMG]

Your opinion may differ...haha.

18. NealinCA

NealinCA

We did get the front and rear axles in place, as well as the transmission and steering box installed. I then started in running front brake lines.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rod1, cactus1, Runnin shine and 9 others like this.
  19. NealinCA

NealinCA

I also worked on the engine a little. I got the plug wires finished up on the distributor end, with boots and heat shrink numbers...

[​IMG]
    Then mocked up the original unfilled grilled shell, Pete Eastwood dropped headlight bar and headlights for a little inspiration.
    [​IMG]

I'm hoping to get the engine dropped in next weekend, and hopefully fired off soon. I'm not entered to race at RPM this year, but I am still shooting to have the truck there. Another 3 week thrash just like last year for the September 24th/25th deadline...

cactus1, Runnin shine, brEad and 15 others like this.
  20. Graham08

Graham08

Thank you for the reply! The lowered seat riser is a great idea.

loudbang likes this.
  21. ...those fenders look so right!

A Boner, Tman and loudbang like this.
  22. Loving this build. Great stuff Neal!

Nobey and loudbang like this.
  23. Nice, Neal and thanks for the nice words.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  24. roddering

roddering
    from Arizona

Great job! Amazing work. You are a true artist.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Your truck is fantastic, as are all your projects and your shop looks incredible. Thanks for all the great posts over the years. I wish I had the patience for detail like you do.

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You nailed the "well aged" matchup perfectly Neil.

A Boner likes this.
  27. NealinCA

NealinCA

Not much progress on the pickup this weekend, but I did get an idler/fan bracket made for a friend's 32 project. He is using an Sharp intake without a generator mount, so this is what I came up with...

[​IMG]
    20210912_102633.jpg 20210912_110115.jpg 20210912_114016.jpg 20210912_115446.jpg 20210912_122029.jpg 20210912_125538.jpg 20210912_125617.jpg 20210912_171015.jpg 20210912_171318.jpg 20210912_171134.jpg 20210912_171101 (1).jpg 20210912_171101 (1).jpg

Jeff34, Toms Dogs, Jack Rice and 21 others like this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

NICE! Will they be available in heavy patina and buffed for chrome?

29. NealinCA

NealinCA

Haha. Way too much work...this was a one of one...

cactus1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Weiand generator mount 2.jpg Weiand generator mount.jpg That is similar to the one that was offered by Weiand. Here is the unfinished one that I have.