Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stand alone Back up lights-let's see your's and hear your ideas for some

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BamaMav, Sep 7, 2021.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sitting looking at the back of my 47 Lincoln, I noticed how high on the fender the tail light was, and how much room underneath the light there was for a separate back up light. As far as I know, it never came with any, don't think they started putting them on until the 50's, although there were probably some aftermarket ones made.

I'm looking for something easy to find that fits the car's era, probably round, and sits fairly close to the fender, maybe 3/4 inch thick or maybe 1". I don't want anything that goes to a cone, although a low domed lens would be OK. And probably not over 3" in diameter, anything larger would be larger than the tail light. Square or rectangular would work, too. Doesn't matter if it's LED or regular bulb, I want them more to warn folks I'm backing up than to see with, although increased rearward visibility in the dark is a good thing. I'm open to OEM or aftermarket, just as long as it doesn't look like a cheesy JC Whitney add on.

Looking for 40's fat fender cars with stand alone backup lights.
    Show us what you got.....

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  2. indyjps

indyjps

Since I can't look at the back of your 47 lincoln, I had to download a pic
    b2758999842fdac0f210e665a98dfe4a.jpg

There's not a good flat to mount to, anything you do will need to be contoured to the body. So a deep housing, smaller is better, there's nothing round on the back of the car.

The chrome piece above the trunk lock has some possibilities, if you have that trim piece to work with.

1969 most cars had square side marker and or reverse lights with separate chrome housings. Cam*ro and must* ng both have readily available aftermarket chrome square light housings. If it's a side marker just modify to a clear lens.

Cosmo49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

IMG_20210907_111039636_HDR.jpg Thanks for posting that pic, I hadn't downloaded my pics to my computer yet. Looking at the rear, the top over rider bar on the bumper is going to be gone on mine. When I do that, it will open up a large area under the tail light. The trunk emblem/handle is the third brake light. I moved my tag to the bumper.

The trunk push button is round, as are the door buttons, so I thought round might tie in with them.

Attached Files:

4. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

I haven't installed these yet but did test them out. They work great and are a very well built, solid pair of LED back-up lights. Like you I don't want to mount anything that will look out of place, so will be mounting these under the car where they will not be seen unless turned on. They are about 1 1/2" diameter with mounting studs and nuts. Can't remember off hand where I bought them from but it was on-line, about $15. if I remember right. DSC06887.JPG

Found them, Amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07B4GVB1K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

5. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

47D26739-627B-4340-A8B8-E045D64CE96D.jpeg Took mine off a CIL combine, looks period. They are not that bright but maybe enough for those not so bright individuals will understand I’m backing up.

6. If you're going to keep your bumper, you could put a couple of flush-mounted custom rectangular units in, keeping the lens profile the same as the bumper. Use sheet acrylic bent to the same curve as the bumper, with a sheetmetal housing (or you may find something ready-made). kinda like these, but in the bumper , horizontally. CCC-bumper-guard-taillights-recent-01-602x233.jpg

Max Gearhead likes this.
  7. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

lothiandon1940 and pprather like this.
  8. AHotRod

AHotRod

blowby and Just Gary like this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

On my '47 Plymouth, I have the license plate sunk into the trunk lid. Above that, I mounted a cargo light that originally sat above the rear window on a '73 to '87 GM pickup. It follows the curve of the trunk lid well.

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

11. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought some small round 10W LED lights from GenRight for backup lights on my F1. They are Bright!!

12. Jokester

Jokester

These are 1972 Dodge Dart lights if I remember correctly. The backup lights are small and have a reflector surrounding them, so it looks like 4 taillights. IMG_1058.JPG

13. Malibu406

Malibu406

65 GTO. The bezels are slightly curved which matches the tsil panel well. I have original NOS ones but they protrude quite a bit and are shaped like the front of a zepplin. I didnt like that and thought a flush mount looked better.

Attached Files:

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I like the looks of those as well. How thick are they? I want to stay as close to the fender as possible with a surface mount without having to recess them.

Those Guide B 50's that Joe Blow posted fit the era well, just not sure about the thickness of them. Low mount looks better than a wart or tit sticking out on the rear to me...

15. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

16. Depends on what you want it to do, light up the area or just let others know your backing up. Also to me there's a BIG difference in eras for looks, 50s look ok with a light in the body, 40s and below look good with an add on utility type light. For lighting up an area to see, I would go with an LED flood light under the pan (hidden), for others to see you backing up, a single utility light (old) bolted to the bumper.

17. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

jimmy six likes this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I like those Buick lights.

Joe Blow and pprather like this.
  19. 49-54 Chevy cars with Deluxe trim model have a fairly small bullet shaped backup lights mounted on the panel below trunk. Inside from the taillights. Sorry my picture isn't the best, see the lights from my parts car.
    20210624_195632.jpg

jimmy six likes this.
  20. ...who the hell needs backup lights?

D-Russ likes this.
  21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Not really a matter of need, more of want. They are nice to have when you are backing out of a dark parking spot so you don't hit that garbage can or other car parked just out of sight. Nice to have so others can see you are backing up and don't run into you or walk behind you. No, you don't have to have them, but as long as they fit the car without looking like a wart, why not have at least one? Hell, even a lot of drag cars run one on the driver's side....

22. A Boner

A Boner

Lightly step on the brake pedal to turn brake lights on while backing up!