Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Flathead Flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jeff34, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Jeff34

Jeff34

Saw this "little" guy today in the neighbors plum orchard helping himself. I was told he's about 400 pounds. He was in the orchard behind this house earlier in the day trying to eat the pears.
    bear.jpg

2. Jeff34

Jeff34

There's a car show in Bigfork tomorrow. Hopefully we'll have time to check it out after we pick up the trailer in Kalispell.
    Edit: Not sure why they thought the car show would be today (Friday). It’s on Sunday. If we weren’t leaving Saturday we’d be going, maybe even with the A, but we need to head back.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  3. Nobey

Nobey

That looks like a pretty solid roadster Jeff and was well worth the trip. Going to be fun watching your progress.
    My 34 pickup is pretty much done, now I'm pulling the V8 60 out of my 29 roadster and replacing it with a period
    banger. Best of luck on you're return trip......

4. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

I just can't resist feeling Envy. Keep having fun.

Big mike 1968 and loudbang like this.
  5. Jeff34

Jeff34

Thanks for the support and encouragement, guys! I appreciate it. We got the trailer in Kalispell this morning and loaded up the roadster. Got it all tied down and took it for a drive to make sure we got it good and set. Seems to be good. We'll check it during the drive, of course. We leave tomorrow morning. 7-8 hours to Rufus, OR. Then we'll start early on Sunday for the 10 hour drive home. ready.jpg

6. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Hope you arrived back home safe and sound. Great story with the pictures and what a nice roadster. "I know I'll have some trouble titling this beast, but it will be worth it." I wouldn't start putting money or energy into it until you had it registered and titled here in California if you think you're going to have a problem. You know California requires that VIN Verification prior to titling an out of state vehicle.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Jeff34

Jeff34

@BrandonB. Yes, I called the person that cleared up the title on my ‘34, and she also said I need VIN verification. Fortunately, she can do that, so I don’t need to take the car to the CHP. I also looked, and the VIN on the title matches the number on the engine

The trip home was uneventful, and we got home safe last night. Rolled the roadster off the trailer and back into the garage. I’ll post more pics of the trip when I’m at a computer.

8. Nobey

Nobey

Welcome home, have you bonded with your roadster yet???

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Outback, loudbang and Jeff34 like this.
  9. Jeff34

Jeff34

@Nobey. Not yet. Need to dig in and figure out what to do with it.

Outback and loudbang like this.
  10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yay, you made it back with your treasure. Tired, but safe and sound. Happy for you. I'm envious, too. Man... the fenders are hardly dinged up at all. Awesome.

Outback and loudbang like this.
  11. don daddyo

don daddyo

12. don daddyo

don daddyo

You start with something realy nice ...cause mine still at point of a funny puzzle ...good luck

High test 63, loudbang and Jeff34 like this.
  13. Jeff34

Jeff34

Hello again! Thought I'd take a moment to send you some of the pictures from the trip. It was a great experience, even though it was 2300 miles...The smoke was awful in NorCal and OR.
    IMG_1748.JPG

But we managed through it. The Tundra towed well, but the boat trailer was not a great trailer. We had a problem with brakes engaging ALL THE TIME for the first half hour of the trip. We decided that since the boat was small, we should just ditch the brakes and make it easy on ourselves:
    IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1696.JPG

The rest of the trip up was uneventful, and almost enjoyable. Picking up the trailer at UHaul was simple, and it towed MUCH better than the boat:
    IMG_1741.JPG

For what it's worth, my cousin now has 11 boats (including one antique canoe and a kayak). I think he needs to see a doctor about it.
    The trip back was easy. We drove a bit further than planned on day 1 to make day 2 shorter. We stayed in Madras, CA at a somewhat sketch hotel. We did have some great Mexican food at Rio restaurant. We had to drive the truck to dinner and back, but found a good parking place:
    IMG_6977.JPG IMG_1744.JPG

When we got out of Madras, it was a cool 33 degrees. When we drove through Vacaville, the temp was 102!!! Swing of 70 degrees! While in Bigfork, a neighbor came by with his new toy:

IMG_1729.JPG IMG_1730.JPG

The tires needed air, and my cousin was more than willing to help out.

I couldn't get it to start on the trailer when I got it home so we pushed it off and down to the garage. Turned out that the trip knocked a bunch of junk loose in the fuel tank that plugged the line. I blew out the line with the compressor and it started right up. I drove it yesterday, but it drives like crap, and the drivers door keeps flying open. I replaced the replacement latch with the original, and now the door stays closed. I checked the toe on the car, and it's toe OUT by about an inch. I'll work on that soon. My hope is to have it at the local cars n coffee later this month. Here's one last pic. I had hoped to see Mt. Shasta on the way home. You can just see a glimpse of the top in this picture...Oh well.
    IMG_1751.JPG

Thanks again for the encouragement. Starting to think about what I want for this car...
    Cheers!

14. Nobey

Nobey

Jeff, you can put a fuel screen on the tank valve, that will stop the crap from getting into your carburetor and line.
    It's a temporary fix until you pull the tank for cleaning Mike's sells them....How long did the car set without
    running?
    https://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A9193T.html

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    Stogy and loudbang like this.
  15. Jeff34

Jeff34

@Nobey. I think it sat for a couple of years. There’s quite a bit of rust in the tank. I’ll be cleaning the separator this week. Hope that helps. I’ll clean out the tank later.

Outback, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  16. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I cant believe you trade THAT boat for that car!! You really scored on that deal.

17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-9-8_5-45-46.png
    A great story post and a wonderful outcome !!!

Hello,

For a couple of seasoned sailboat fanatics, we know the differences of sailing on lakes with surrounding mountain influences. The fluky wind direction is always puzzling and also surprising. With a classic boat like the Herreshoff Cat rigged sailboat with that giant sail, it would be a hard sail on that lake. Fun, but more difficult than knowing the consistent wind direction that the ocean and big bays provide.
    upload_2021-9-8_5-48-14.png
    Your friend must already accepted the fact that the historic sense of the old sailboat and the long time in restoring it would be enough for now. It is a classic design and has a great history. The big sail action will keep the pilot very busy when those winds pipe up. YRMV

Jnaki

For an old hot rodder/drag racer and sailor from my hot rod teenage years(8 ft. dinghy + Malibu Outriggger) to 2018 (with the last 6 years sailing a twin rudder fast racer), you got the best end of the deal. A little adventure on the road and you have a great start for the future hot rod build. We love Model A roadsters and our first purchase was a Model A coupe. But, that did not last very long, thanks to my brother and his purchase of a new, fast 1958 Impala. Good luck on your Model A adventures…

18. Cool boat, cool ModelA!

Stogy, Jeff34 and loudbang like this.
  19. Jeff34

Jeff34

I would like to apologize to any Oregonians on this board. I mistakenly placed the city of Madras in CA, but it is indeed in Oregon. But, the Rio Mexican Restaurant is very good, authentic, Mexican food (good marg's too!)

20. Jeff34

Jeff34

@Jnacki. I have sailed on Flathead Lake several times on the Questa and Nor’Easter V. Both very capable 60 foot boats from the 20’s. Flathead is very sail friendly as it is the largest natural freshwater lake west of the mighty Mississippi (in one state). The prevailing winds are very consistent on the lake and very nice to sail. As a Cat rigged boat, there will be new challenges, but my cousin has sailed Flathead for many years so I’m sure he’s aware of what he’s gotten himself into.
    That said, I DO believe I got the better part of the deal, less the 2400 mile round trip drive.

21. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Cool story, glad it all worked out!

22. Jeff34

Jeff34

After adjusting the toe-in to ~3/16"-1/4", the car drives MUCH better. It does get a bit squirrely on rough spots, but my truck does that, too. Drove for about 20 minutes today. Looking forward to a longer drive tomorrow to see how it does.

23. You might want to grease and check the adjustable tie rod ends and rag link ends. Also check the balls they attach to (they wear out-of-round). There are cups inside the ends that wear, and the internal springs can weaken. These often get overlooked, but proper adjustment can make a big difference.

loudbang likes this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

We knew!
    By the way, did you know that there is a drag strip in Madras?

25. Jeff34

Jeff34

I did not! How on earth did they end up with a drag strip there?

oliver westlund, Outback and loudbang like this.
  26. Jeff34

Jeff34

Got my registration and plates today. Title will show in a couple of weeks. Special thanks to North Bay Registration Services for doing the VIN verification and doing all the paperwork for the DMV. Since the VIN on the title and the stamping on the engine block matched, it made this pretty simple. Angela comes out to verify the vin in place rather than taking the vehicle to DMV or CHP. I used her services when I titled the '34 PU since it was titled as a '35 and wanted that fixed.

Working on pulling the fiberglass rear fenders last weekend. Also prepping to get the front fenders off and picked up a set of '35 wires if I decide to change out the 21"s.

27. Jeff34

Jeff34

Over the weekend, I removed the fenders, running boards, and some other bits. Starting to become more of what I was thinking it should be. I'm thinking I'll pull the wheels off the '34 and see how I like those on the roadster. I also discovered Blockley tires. They might look good, but the shipping from UK may be prohibitive. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the splash aprons...seems like I need to unbolt the body and lift it up a bit to remove them...sigh. I also took the tail light off the fender and thought I might modify that as a center mounted tail light in place of the spare tire mount. Cut here, trim and weld there....we'll see.
    diet 1.jpg diet 2.jpg Tail light 1.jpg

28. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story, cool start ! I dig the look of the splash aprons left on, good luck !

29. Jeff34

Jeff34

Thanks! The only reason the splash aprons are on is because it's really hard to remove them. I do plan to remove them as well.

Rickybop, Dannerr and loudbang like this.
  30. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just saying I have seen other highboys with them left on and like the different look.