Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The old man in the Shaker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pnevells, Sep 6, 2021.

1. pnevells

pnevells

bsd6.jpg Many of you are familiar with our Nostalgia altered the Hilltown Shaker. My son and I built and race the car in local and some of the larger nostalgia races in the past. My son has a new baby and gave up the seat to Dad, while I have made some passes in the Shaker , it has been 25 years since I drove in competition since I sold my last dragster . I raced this past weekend with just my wife and I at Beaver Springs Nostalgia club race , managed a 9.72 and a 9.75 at 134 MPH . Reaction times were pretty bad but it felt great to get out and race . Getting in and out of it with a small step ladder drew much comedy from my pit neighbors but i did it. bsd 9-21.JPG bsd4 9-21.JPG bsd prn labor day 2021.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  2. swifty

swifty

Reaction times along with a lot of other things perform a lot slower as you get older. Congratulations. Did you enjoy yourself as that's the important thing.

3. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

WOW!! Nice thread.. That's a real fast speed to be going at our ages. Young people don't understand what we go through just like I didn't understand what my dads age group was going through.. The reflexes slow down, sight is a little blurry, what I truly dislike about getting old is it takes longer for my brain to refocus when I want to take a quick look out the side window or when I look at the gauges on the dash. I hooked up the red warning lights, Gen / Charge / Temp... Then I have gauges in the glovebox..

4. catdad49

catdad49

Hey, you do what you have to keep life worth living ( the ladder thing). More passes will improve those reaction times, nothin’ but a little rust! Sounds like you had a good time, when’s the Next race?

5. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Good for you Pnevells! You are right Elcohaulics. This age thing isn't for sissy's.

6. Good for you. When you give up your passions, the next step is......well, let's just not go there.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Let em talk! Good for you.

8. Deuces

Deuces

61 here and my reflexes are sharper that ever... It helps a lot if you have a "fast" car for your daily driver...:);)

loudbang, alanp561, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  9. v8flat44

v8flat44

" I'm all shook up"..... !

loudbang, Deuces and pnevells like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. pnevells

pnevells

A cool picture of our first time shot showed up on FaceBook this morning. Thanks Debbie Gastelu for the awesome picture

loudbang and alanp561 like this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wow, sweet! Yeah, age, I'm starting to get nervous just going through busy intersections. At least you didn't have that to worry about!

Interesting intake on there, can't really make out what it is.

loudbang likes this.
  13. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

hey if you shut them down they will stop laughing.

pnevells and loudbang like this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

My wife gets tired of me trying to cut a perfect light in her Lincoln.:cool:

pnevells, loudbang, alanp561 and 3 others like this.
  15. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

At 47, my reactions are nowhere near as good as they were when I was younger. My 22 year old son can beat most anybody off the line...unless he breaks his car as he usually does. Whenever I get my Henry J done, he will get most the wheel time. I still run the occasional street legal type event for fun. Good on you for getting out there and doing it.

Devin

16. pnevells

pnevells

We normally run stack injection but our unit is down for repair so i borrowed an Enderle bug Catcher on an Edlebrock tunnel ram manifold. it worked well
    bug catcher.JPG

loudbang, catdad49 and wicarnut like this.
  17. wicarnut

wicarnut

GOOD for you, it's never over till your ashes are cold or pushing up daises. I've been inspired by a few old friends that are still racing Midgets in their 70's, I'm 73 now. An opportunity to warm up a friends Sprint car IF I can get in it is coming up, just a hot lap deal and I will go easy as my racing days have been over for 30 years now, But I know I have one more "Backing her in to use up" LOL.

pnevells, loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  18. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

The saying is "Old Guys Rule", great to see it in the photos.

19. spanners

spanners

I'm 64y.o. and when I built my H.A/G.R. nearly 10 years ago I incorporated a small step on the side of the chassis to make it easier to get in and out. It really helps.

loudbang, pnevells, Roothawg and 2 others like this.