Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***September 2021 Banger Meet Thread - Happy Equinox***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Sep 1, 2021.

1. G_Don

G_Don

Was able to put the head on, torque it, as well as intake and headers. Had a dist shaft made from O1 steel. Trying to run the mallory YA11A distributor I have for it, although I have only ever fumbled with stock Model A dist and just used that nurex timing wrench to time it.

There is a "1" on the underside of the cap. Im assuming rotor will have to be facing that "1" on the cap when I try to time it? Engine is currently TDC (with pin pushed into timing cover). Is there any literature on these old mallory units? I remember seeing some scans of some manuals but can't seem to relocate them.

Also, what do you need to do with that shielded wire that screws into the stock A distributor? Do I just put some rubber on the ends so as not to short it?

Any help with getting this mallory up and running would be great as I am a super novice! Especially when it comes to ignition pieces.

Also, not sure if the wires are in the right place on the cap or not. And I'm aware I need to put my water pump and fan on lol

Thanks in advance,
    Gordy

Attached Files:

Dustyp489 likes this.
  2. There is an article in Secrets magazine on those mallorys. Issue you want is Jan 2018 vol. 27 number 3. You can start with any plug wire as rotor position can be changed. Also your wires are backwards as the dist. runs counter clockwise.

Dustyp489 and Carter like this.
  3. steve hackel

steve hackel

I'm currently looking at an interesting 4 port cross flow head that has no mounting provisions for a stock style
    distributor, strictly a side drive
    Magneto or distributor mounted at the cam gears inspection side cover.
    Is there anyone out there currently producing / offering a side drive adapter for the A - B engines? Just a question to keep everything relative if the head
    actually does become available.
    Thanks.

Outback likes this.
  4. steve hackel

steve hackel

Darn, a brain fart - must be old age....
    What would be a good choice for a side draft carburetor (s - as in 2 ) for this head? It has a side draft and down draft intake included ; the down draft was cast and machined for 97 style carbs with the 3 mounting holes, while the side draft manifold was cast and machined for
    Winfield style 4 bolt flange carb bases. Knowing that Winfields are not available and also out of my $ price range, I would just machine new flanges out of some aluminum plate and weld them to the manifold after modifying it to work with the carbs I chose to use. Thanks

5. 97

Welcome to the Banger meet, car looks great.

BlacktopScraper and Outback like this.
  6. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Gordy,
    IMO, that is a good distributor ! I have and run several… bulletproof.
    Is yours single or dual points ?
    I set my engine, from scratch without a pin. Remove four plugs. Stick fat finger into NUMBER ONE hole.
    Crank engine, by hand…. till #1 compression pushes finger out. At this time, install dist ( cap off). You should have put dist shaft in. Align shaft to dist. With rotor installed , and dist fully against head, note and mark rotor position chalk/tape on blk.
    This is # 1. Install #1 wire , then going COUNTER CLOCKWISE, install other 3 plug wires !
    I usually chalk crank/blk position also.
    Now, check dist for point opening- that is loosen cam nut and adj. till points just start to open. Consult manual if unfamiliar. If you have points adjusted any where near correct…it will start initially. I use a timing light to do what I like for…. timing by ear.
    . Tighten things like cam nut, dog clamp etc.
    Put that aftermarket wire/ plug into spare parts box, as it is not needed for this application/dist. That would go into STOCK type dist… where original lock cable fitted.
    At this point, water pump/fan might be knuckle buster.

7. 97

I would suggest a pair of H S 6 SUs. You do not need to weld onto a side draft manifold to use the SUs , some of them actually used an adapter made from an insulating material about 3/4 thick. Triumph 2500 TC or Triumph TR6 , or some Rovers had these carbs..
    Will see if I can find some pictures tonight.

Dustyp489 and Old Dawg like this.
  8. Steve,
    Not aware of any side drives currently available. You would have to be careful as the side drive typically runs at crank speed. The magnetos of the day have a 2:1 reduction built in. Charlie Yapp still advertises the front drive distributor.
    This allows for using a conventional dist of your choice. Let us know which head this is.

John

Old Dawg likes this.
  9. John,

Great picture, better order a large one and have it framed.
    Just glad to hear your adventure ended without testing the barriers.

John

Old Dawg likes this.
  10. railcarmover

railcarmover

^^^"And the crowd goes wild"^^^,that's the good shit right there brother..

Outback and Old Dawg like this.
  11. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

re : 5161533 That's a gorgeous pic!! Sure glad you didn't try to move the wall!! (walls seem to resent vehicles making contact....)

barrnone50 and Old Dawg like this.
  12. What is the old saying?
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you moved it...

J

Jet96, barrnone50 and Old Dawg like this.
  13. These photos are from Adam Hosey (adamhoseyphoto.com). He shot images of the whole bunch of participants. I have ordered copies that he produce. Here are a few others (I still haven't located any of the "Grand Spin"). Here's some more that he shot: 2021RMMR(2).jpg 2021RMMR(3).jpg 2021RMMR(4).jpg 2021RMMR(7).jpg 2021RMMR(6).jpg

14. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Steve,
    I have looked at a lot of options for ignition drives. I have run a side drive mag on the street. I don't like them because once the engine is running the timing is fixed. There are mags that have manual adjustment. I have purchased a few tractor distributor drives that would have to be adapted to the model A, but they show promise.
    A quick search of ebay found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373547133137?hash=item56f924e8d1:g:2hoAAOSwSGRgfWMh

.[​IMG]

15. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I haven't heard from this guy in a long time, but it might be a source:

[​IMG]

16. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Dan,
    Ive used this guy’s stuff , off/ on for years.
    I contacted him when he put up the ‘magneto drive’ ad…. a LONG time ago ! Not happened !!

17. I was browsing my library today and picked up my copy of Volume 4, Number 5 of "Old Car illustrated" Sept. 1973. It had an article on cylinder heads for Model T Fords. Here is what you might run accross at Swap Meets, Estate Sales and Barns:

Fronty1.jpeg Fronty2 (2).jpeg Fronty.Others (2).jpeg

Dustyp489, Outback, 97 and 3 others like this.
  18. I wonder if he still makes the finned timing cover. I'd like that and the mag drive!

19. After a long ten hour drive, the new Sedan is finally home!
    My girlfriend decided to claim it as hers and call it "Darcy Mae", she also mentioned she wants to learn how to wrench on it..

Did I just dig myself a deeper hole financially?
    241471179_10219926236615604_5266413846445148945_n.jpeg

20. A hole so deep you may as well keep going for gold...

Nah, joking. That's practically ready for the road.

21. I like the hub caps^^^^

Old Dawg likes this.
  22. Checking in

Jet96 likes this.
  23. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Dawg,
    Thanks for sharing the eye candy….that ‘KING’ got me going ! How much $ do you suppose it would take to re-make/resurrect this head ?

Jet96 likes this.
  24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

********* i think you will dis-like the generator . i had one catch fire on the road . alternators can handle the rpm & long running ............. steve

Dustyp489 likes this.
  25. G_Don

G_Don

I had a 12V alternator and coil in my old car. I believe it was a nurex. It did not look great but got the job done... What are the alternators they make now that look like generators? And do they perform well?

26. That I don't know. The only DOHC projects I've seen for sale are HAL's. Those and Fronty's are chain driven (which are problems). I'd look for a gear driven Galivan. I understand there were repops made some years ago.

27. 97

There is no intrinsic reason a generator would catch fire more so than an alternator with the same fault. If anything an alternator should run hotter than a generator, as they are making more amperage (generally) from the same rpm . In fact except for a short / failed regulator , mechanical failure (bearings) or getting oil inside I cannot think of any reason for a generator to catch fire, alternator could have all the same issues, they both have the same basic internals just different circuit configuration. Generators were around for about half of the time cars have been with us.
    Apart from all that alternators look wrong on a banger. How many banger powered Model As do long running?

Dustyp489 and Jet96 like this.
  28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

im not sure , but would think the model A shops would help you ......... steve

Dustyp489 likes this.
  29. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

WOS Performance (WOSP) produces a “Dynator”, an special built alternator disguised as a generator. They list them for T, A, V8, etc...

Dustyp489 likes this.
  30. 25mercury

25mercury
    from California

Yup, you never know what you might find stashed away in some old timers barn. fullsizeoutput_26.jpeg