Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Track Roadster 16 yrs in the making

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trakrodstr, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

"What Stogy said".

Stogy likes this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Been s couple years since I’ve seen it in person I’d love an update as well :)

Stogy likes this.
  3. HELLO fellow gearheads, I've heard your call. Let me collect my thoughts and perhaps take some photos of the TR in early "middle age". VERY briefly, the Maserodi is in fine shape.

It is sitting in the garage next to its "grandfather". This month, after 20 years, my '56 Dodge D500 Custom Royal Lancer is back on the road. The two cars make a nice pair. More soon.

Charlie

4. Great build thread, great car! I found this thread a couple days ago and finally finished it! I’m just down the road from you at the divide between Mission & Overland Park. I hope to see this one out and about someday!

Stogy likes this.
  5. gas pumper

gas pumper

How time flys!! I'm glad this thread popped up, Congratulations on seeing this thru and keeping us informed of the results!

Stogy likes this.
  6. hasty

hasty

An update would be great!
    With pictures, please.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Dear Stogy, Mike, Tim, brEad, and my old buddy Hasty,

Due to my respect for the HAMB community, and you guys in particular, I want to be sure I write text that is semi-thoughtful and not lame BS.

As you can imagine, with the "big" stuff done, in this TR "build", I need to be sure I'm not posting yawn-inducing trivia. So far I've got a couple of ideas that might be of some general interest; and I am writing some text in my head. In other words — I'm stalling — but I take your kind words and nudges seriously. Once I've collected my thoughts I'll reply. Maybe I should show some of the wear and tear on the TR?...we'll see.

More soon, and thanks again for staying/getting in touch.

Charlie

8. gary kessler 1932

gary kessler 1932

Lean the windshield back. world class build!!

9. Thanks Gary for the kind words,

The roadster has about 11,000 miles on the odometer, no major issues and everything works.

Yes, the rakish speedboat style windshield frames look very cool on vintage roadsters. Notice, however, in the small thumbnail image of my track roadster that when the rag top is in place — if the windshield had been laid back it would be almost impossible for me (6'3") to get in the driver's seat. Sometimes in the real world one has to make compromises. Having gotten in and out of the roadster hundreds and hundreds of times, with the top up, I would not change the windshield angle one degree. Yes it would look better but not worth the tradeoff in everyday use. Other's of course make a different windshield angle decision, but they may not use, of even have, a soft top for their roadster.

Along these same lines of aesthetics versus practicality, when I next buy new tires I am going to go with a smaller diameter rear tire and a larger front tire — with a less aggressive tread pattern. The present front/rear tire diameter ratios are non-ideal for handling. Due to the clever torsion bar suspension that Jack Presse designed and built for the "Maserodi" adjusting the ride height will be easy, I may have to change the rear torsion bars, but the bars are cheap and very easy to change. This tire change will compromise the aggressive "old time sprint car stance". At seventy-four years old — comfort is important; the old-school tire appearance will be easy to sacrifice for a more neutral handling car. If it were possible — without major surgery — I would discard the sprint car "side steering" for a more crisp and lower effort passenger car steering gearbox, which would also diminish the "50s sprint" look.

As fate would have it...I have never entered the roadster in a major (national) car show, but I do drive it in all seasons. Thus the pleasure has been in the driving not it the showing, which I rarely do. If I were starting the project today my priorities would shift toward ride comfort (suspension travel) and better handling.

Thanks again for your interest and stay safe.

Charlie

I

brEad, cactus1, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Always admired Jack Presse's work but have no idea what happened to him. He could have possibly been or is just about the best at what he does in the country.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Belated birthday wish Charlie

Stogy likes this.
  12. Charlie I was just thinking about you the other day! I hope all is well. One thing I miss about living in the city is having all my hot rod buddies swing by the house!

brEad and Stogy like this.
  13. Hi thanks for the response to my recent post. Jack is healthy and doing well. He now lives in the Missoula Montana area, where my TR was largely built. Jack is now essentially retired and working/finishing a early Ford pickup project powered by the same motor as my roadster, a D500 Dodge Hemi. I believe he is also finishing a early 70s Chevy pickup. I you would like to connect with Jack just send me your phone number and I'll pass it along (he doesn't do any email, text message, or internet stuff....).

I agree with you Jack is superb, an artist in metal and master craftsman.

Cheers,

Charlie

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Thank you my friend, I hope this reply finds you safe, healthy and happy.
    I'm doing fine and will retire in June. Yeah.
    Cheers
    Charlie

Stogy likes this.
  15. cactus1
    Good to "hear" from you. I hope this reply finds you safe and healthy.
    I have been driving the roadster this winter, but not on really cold days. The EFI goes wacky if the ambient temp gets below 30 degrees F....,the engine runs at about 170 degrees F, which is not good. The huge oil pan, the side pipes and all the turbulent air really cools the engine. If I put on the hood that helps. I guess "stack" injection systems were never intended for year around usage....duh!

Maybe we can meet for a cruise this Spring, especially of the Covid stuff has settled down.

Keep in touch,

Charlie

cactus1 and Stogy like this.
  16. Hi it's Labor Day Sept 2021.
    The Maserodi continues to run well, about 12,000 miles now. Still doesn't like cold weather, oh well, neither do I.
    I just retired after 40 years as a professor and I'm building a retirement home in New Mexico, with plenty of room for the TR and my other babies.
    Stay safe and keep crusin' toward blue skies and green lights.

Charlie

17. hasty

hasty

Great to hear the updates Charlie - with pictures would be even better!
    Good luck with the move and with the modifications.

18. Dear Hasty,
    Wow, lightning response. Cool.
    Thanks for the kind wishes.
    The TR looks pretty much the same, with a bit of patina....(lazy me).
    Attached is a photo of your truly and TR at a Concours event held on the campus of the Kansas City Art Institute a few years ago. The organizers opted to invite some "hot rods" and I was asked to participate — which I was very happy to do. Pete Chapouris of "California Kid" fame (see flamed '34 behind me) was the invited guest expert. Lots of fun and nice compliments. You can see there is wear on the front tires....
    Stay safe.
    Charlie

artofthecar.jpg

Blues4U, cactus1, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  19. hasty

hasty

Nice picture and in good company...
    Is the Imp still on the agenda?

20. I sure miss that Art of the Car Concourse show!