Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do with your car today? * NEW*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j hansen, May 3, 2020.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley

Bumper looks great....very "organic". But please educate me. What is Collinite?

Lynn

Joe Blow likes this.
  2. I think it's that stuff that superman hates, Lynn ;)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  3. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Thanks Lynn. Collinite is heavy duty double coat wax.

Max Gearhead and Hamtown Al like this.
  4. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

I think you're mistaken Lloyd......that would be Cryptocurrency.:)

5. High test 63

High test 63

IMG_20210903_162927991.jpg IMG_20210903_164308709.jpg finally got back to the bent pushrod project on my roadster. Been hotrodding vicariously through my brothers on the HAMB for the last month or so.
    The rocker arm had wore a slot into the stud and i had to replace the stud also. Got it together and reset all the valves. Went to fire it up and realized the ignition switch was in the on position from when i tore it apart and was bumping the starter...a month and a half ago. Battery was stone dead and wouldn't take a charge. DANG!

LAROKE, j hansen, Hamtown Al and 5 others like this.
  6. lake_harley

lake_harley

No doubt out of context, but what did I ever do to Superman that he would hate me?:(

Lynn

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Drove the heck out of it today, until I was almost on fumes! When I stopped to fill it I had less than a gallon in the tank!! Yikes! Not sure I've ever put that much gas in it since I got it on the road?
    [​IMG]

8. Lol, i fixed it :p

hotrodjack33 and Joe Blow like this.
  9. lake_harley

lake_harley

Ha Ha Couldn't resist:D

Lynn

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Good job. That looks like something I could easily screw up.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  11. Got after the 59 with some 40 grit on a DA. This thing is really pretty good other than the soft floors and a few pin holes in the corners of the hood and doors.
    DSCF5447.JPG DSCF5449.JPG DSCF5450.JPG DSCF5451.JPG

12. High test 63

High test 63

Ha ha thanks blowby, but it was a pretty low tech fix. A bunch of old sbc parts laying around helps too.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  13. jazz1

jazz1

Broke two bolts in attempt to replace exhaust manifold gaskets. Decided this job can wait till the snow flies. I'll remove front clip to complete this job as its only a matter of 8 bolts and drain the rad.

LAROKE and j hansen like this.
  14. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

STUDEBAKER BUILD 002.JPG The machine shop did not chamfer the cylinders when they bored it so I am correcting that, the one on the right is finished. And I have the cam bearings installed and the cam fits so all is well !

Attached Files:

hammer-time, Joe Blow, blowby and 8 others like this.
  15. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

It's a great day to be alive, I finished my block work ( used a cone shaped mandrel ) taped up so I would not hit the walls. Getting all my parts in one place, I am down to my last converter ( dated 1993 ) I wonder if Turbo Action would still warranty it LOL.
    I had to drill out the flex plate holes as the converter takes 7/16 bolts. This pile is about ready for some brake fluid and a motor !

Attached Files:

Joe Blow, blowby, LAROKE and 2 others like this.
  16. LAROKE

LAROKE

From the BillyBob Shop log

September 7th 2021 I measured, measured, measured the nailhead crankshaft until I was confident of my numbers. Those numbers put me into indecision mode for a bit while I tried to chart my best course of action with the crankshaft.

If I come to the conclusion the numbers are too sketchy, I'll bite the bullet and start making local machine shop inquiries or look for another crankshaft. As much as I want it, completing this build without any machining may be a bridge too far.

I tend to dither a long time with dilemmas like this in Terra Incognito so, in the meantime, I pulled out the Buick's heads to clean and inspect. Unfortunately, I leaned too far forward setting down the second head and there was a pop in my lower back. Couldn't move for about thirty seconds while the waves of pain rolled through. If I'm real lucky, I will only be crippled for a few days. One thing is for certain. I won't be free lifting the heads any more.

Beer of the day was Uinta Brewing Company's Trader IPA. Background music was Bob Dylan Bringing it all Back Home.

[​IMG]

17. impala4speed

impala4speed

Good luck with the back Laroke. I hate when that happens.

18. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Drug my 32 5 Window out, got the hose and evicted all the critters from their home. Then I made a list of things that need done so that I could drive it. Step #1 would be to un-channel it and I’m not sure if that is something I want to do.
    6D71BD40-4105-4BCB-A5D5-1AA71538F122.jpeg
    43D9E6C1-93FD-4D42-AEDF-A1C6D397FA53.jpeg
    D7C5AE7B-0467-468A-9193-CE7F53FFBB01.jpeg
    Every time this picture pops up on the banner I think maybe it could be my car when it was being built back in the day, same filled rear quarters, fenders bolted on higher up to clear the tires, and channeled to the bottom of the frame. My car has flat washers welded inside the rear quarters for mounting fenders, might have been built back East with fender laws?
    7BABBCE2-8A08-486F-8904-ED77BD460F68.jpeg
    Probably not, but it’s a good story.
    I’m thinking somebody else needs this one and I need to focus on my 37-38 Chevy!

RICH B, High test 63, TA DAD and 2 others like this.
  19. High test 63

High test 63

IMG_20210907_194325250.jpg after the pushrod, rocker, rockerstud replacement, and subsequent dead battery, i bought a new battery yesterday. I put in the new battery, fired her up and went for a long awaited cruise.

Blues4U, impala4speed, blowby and 8 others like this.
  20. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Removed what was left of link pin. Waiting on parts . Going to replace pads also. 20210908_150513.jpg

21. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

looking at this made my butt hole pucker, ...what is keeping the spring from coming out?? besides the screw driver???

22. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

@FRANK GRELLE I have a jack stand and a jack underneath it. It ain't going anywhere. You can't see stand in pic but it's under there.

FRANK GRELLE likes this.
  23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Auto body class has started up again at the local college, so me and a few other worlds oldest students are back at it. I don't view auto body as all that enjoyable but it's better with others around to share the misery. :)

DAs that vacuum up the dust, Rage Gold.. sure beats my home crap.

20210907_151406.jpg

24. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I have been making good progress this past week, I got my heads cleaned up ( yes they are used but very few laps ) they will get one more bath in Varsol and be bolted on. Got the intake and carb out so I can finish the return spring bracket and see what I have to make a fuel line with. I try not to buy anything if at all possible. studebaker build 001.JPG studebaker build 002.JPG studebaker build 002.JPG studebaker build 007.JPG studebaker build 008.JPG

impala4speed, Lil32, blowby and 2 others like this.
  25. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Plus I got these old tires off the wheels and found the center caps I will be using on the front, I have some non-traditional tires that should be here today to go on the front. Plus I got the turn signal switch in place. studebaker build 003.JPG studebaker build 005.JPG studebaker build 006.JPG studebaker build 007.JPG

26. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

ok now i feel better :)

27. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys are busy bees...ok. I finally got my arse motivated.. Using self etching primer.. good stuff...follow safety data sheet..

Attached Files:

Blues4U, TA DAD, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today I attached my pressure regulator to my Argon bottle, and found the leak in the AC lines that I made for my Falcon.

As it turns out, o-rings are a thing, and they have to go on all of the fittings, not all but one of them.

It seems to be holding now, but I will give it 24-hours.

Hamtown Al and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  29. Just about got it, pays to scrub these old beasts down to metal. I've found a few places where moisture has infiltrated through the old primer under previous body work and started pitting the metal, nothing big but still needs to be eliminated and neutralized before proceeding. the old work was well dome but time has taken a toll on it and doing it over with modern materials isn't that much work compared to having it bite you in the butt later. By the way, I need bumpers and a windshield if anyone near by has parts.
    DSCF5454.JPG DSCF5455.JPG DSCF5456.JPG

30. hammer-time

hammer-time

Be sure to lubricate the o-rings as dry ones will leak everytime.

osage orange likes this.