Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Honestly, Would You Pay $349 For A Club Plaque?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by quick85, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Well if there wasn't, there oughtta been!

2. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

They're rivals were the Trators.

What years was the World War Eleven? (I'm glad I missed it.)

The37Kid and i7083 like this.
  3. Here's a link to the biggest car club plaque site,
    1. Car Club Plaques
      www.carclubplaques.pairsite.com
      Car club plaques were the unique way to show everyone which car club you belonged to. This started sometime in the 1930's and you can view some early examples by clicking here. Plaques that have initials, like "SF", might be listed under "San Francisco" or "San Fernando". Others

4. On some builds, the right plaque can complete the look or history behind the build. Originals can be pricing depending on demand, history, and artwork. I gave big dollars for my plaque. I actually bought and expensive plaque and traded it for worthless one, but it was the one I needed for the build and the guy would only trade. I have found most of the parts on these old cars are overpriced, but I keep buying, because where else are you gona find one. In the case of the repops, they are cool, but no history, but may complete someone's build. It's only worth as much as someone will pay for it.

quick85 and 5window like this.
  5. silent rick

silent rick

we had a foundry in metal shop in high school. the patterns were made in woods class. it's a shame they don't teach industrial arts in the schools anymore. that's probably where a bunch of them came from

6. I assume you are referring to the plaques in the classifieds, they appear to be original and not repo so the owner established his price based on the age.

They both are probably available new from O'brien but if you have to have the original there they are.

I look at it like this, you can have a real deal 1932 Ford 3 window coupe body but you are going to have to step up and spend the big bucks,on the other hand you can buy a repo for considerably less, but you save money.

As far as giving that for a plaque, there is probably someone out there but they haven't stepped up to the plate, I can't price another mans wares. HRP

7. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When the popularity (and therefore value) of certain items suddenly skyrockets, the LAST people to recognize the trend are usually the generation who grew up with the stuff.

In my case, it’s mid-century modern furniture. That stuff is hot with interior designers, prices through the roof. But to me, it was and still is the knockabout crap of my parents’ rec room.

From what I'm reading here, the same might apply to club plaques, I'm thinking.

8. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Here is anther good site, which brings up most every know car club that was around by city, in
    alphabetical order...check it out...Car Club Plaques (pairsite.com)

9. My favorite plaque for a few reasons, high school metal shop designed and cast and great name for a club that still exists, and still scary looking. Hard to beat! Plaque pict courtesy of the carclubplaque website.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  10. IMG_20210823_192543028.jpg rik shaws cc.jpg Thunderbolts Sacramento was ebay listed weird and was well priced right ! Rik Shaws ,was a plaque my buddy had for over 20 years and I traded for it... I have a bout 35 in my collection.. My favorite is a Clutchers from Seattle( $$$).. chromed brass/bronze I have. My 2 cents if ya like and want who cares what the price may be... originals can be expensive check ebay... plenty of guys who pay top dollar for vintage ones.... whats the saying " what is it worth to ya " ? lol

11. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I'm digging the comments, thoughts, tips and photos. Keep them coming.

12. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

After seeing this thread, I went on O'Brien's website. I have plaques for all the clubs my Dad was in except for one. The Corsairs of Cincy, OH. (They made you turn in the plaque when you quit the club.) I was shocked to see it and ordered a couple. One to give my Dad for Christmas and one to hang in my garage.

So to answer the original question, yes, I would have gladly paid $349 for an original, but only because of the connection to the club. Just glad Dennis makes available copies of the defunct clubs and was well worth the $45 each.

13. Let's see..after many years of searching for my ideal project car, dead set to build 100% as if built in a certain era and completing it, only needing that one item to finish/complete the "look"..yeah, I'd pay that (more truth be told).
    I haven't reached that level of dedication on any of my cars as of yet, and may never though.
    My cars are drivers, not accurate historical examples necessarily.

5window likes this.
  14. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

For me personally, I will only run an old plaque from one of my Dad's clubs. Currently, I run one from a club that was called the "Rapid Tappets." I wouldn't run a plaque for any other club I had no connection to in some way, but I hang the others on the wall.

and if I had paid $350 for it, I probably wouldn't have run it for fear of someone swiping it.

nochop and quick85 like this.
  15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sure wouldn’t! I’ve never given that much for a set of 4 magnesium Americans. But that’s the exact reason I pretty well quit buying any of the cool old shit back in the early 90’s. The only plaque I have is this one…not sure if repo or original; but it was given to me a long time ago : 0128813F-B1FA-4E4A-8844-9C7103F0AD2F.jpeg

Elcohaulic likes this.
  16. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I'm thinkin' that may have been a J.C. Whitney-type item.

17. Muttley

Muttley

I've been offered $500 for my Dad's old plaque.

tq.jpg

18. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Actually, that's a damn good idea. An O'Brien replica plaque would make a
    great gift for a gearhead. How many of us struggle with gift giving or a way
    of repaying a buddy for his help who won't take money?

Budget36 likes this.
  19. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Here are four and there were probably more.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Beanscoot and quick85 like this.
  20. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

:(
    Not sure why I can't see the photos I linked to but they show up when I try sending a reply ...

Can anyone see the four photos?

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  21. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I never realized that the lone wolf is crying... maybe he (or she) is lonely?

upload_2021-9-4_15-50-29.png

bowie and The37Kid like this.
  22. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I see all four of the "Demons" plaques.

Bullet Nose and LOST ANGEL like this.
  23. When they were open, Vic Hubbard Speed and Marine in Hayward, CA had a huge wall of plaques. I took a picture once when I was waiting in line but can't find it on my hard drive. If you gave them a plaque of your club you got a discount whenever you bought stuff.
    vic hubbard car plaque wall pic - Google Search

24. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

AFC6CD08-F307-456F-9A5A-F8EBC5D4CD58.jpeg Well here is mine , not a member for years , a great club . Just was not having fun as a member anymore .

quick85 likes this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Along the same lines my Dad was a cop in the early 1960's and the adult advisor to the local Hot Rod Club. We went to see a '27 T Coupe on '32 rails the club president was building, thought it was great. If the club had 12 members there were 12 club plaques, If they ever had them made. If one turned up it would be worth the $349.00 to me. Bob

quick85 likes this.
  26. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Re-pop of the original one that was lost….thanks Dennis, for ever grateful 7F097DB6-35F7-4A68-A03D-6B8FE0BD3A59.jpeg

27. alchemy

alchemy

IMG_3182.JPG

All of these are repros of old local clubs. None cost me too much, and no family were members backintheday.

28. We don't do that anymore...

Attached Files:

29. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

30. Ak Miller handed me this plaque when I joined the Road Runners in 1960. I only paid the club an extra 10 bucks for it when I joined. To me, it's priceless.

[​IMG]