Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chopped Correctly ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad Redmond, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I wouldn’t fill it, looks to me like the glass won’t fit properly.

clem likes this.
  2. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

77990DEC-1521-4769-9357-6867002D4CAB.jpeg 10CFBA7A-2E49-40A0-B681-1E37EA377892.jpeg 191C5FC1-EE63-4F15-877D-F894EF482E94.jpeg F9EC814D-FD68-42EF-B9E1-82989502087D.jpeg D86C79E2-AAFF-41A8-BBC8-5886B0BFF773.jpeg You might want to re cut the top using this lay out since it needs to been cut up anyway. You won’t have to worry about more pie cuts later. As someone posted, the top is not completely vertical and cutting like this compensates for that. Good luck 9F0D19B6-18D5-4A79-B625-A8192D0C9865.jpeg

Lil'Alb, pitman, woodsnwater and 2 others like this.
  3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

There is a taper in the top and there needs to be a relief cut above the weld to bring the outer skin out straight will take of at least part of the problem. You can see the taper in the 2nd and 3rd pictures.

4. clem

clem

Looking at the quality of the welding, and resulting warping, maybe it would be easier to cut out an inch either side of the weld, (or more), so there will be less beating to make it right…….

5. 1ton

1ton

I was going to recommend that you drive it like it is. Go to cruise nights and shows. Call it the "Museum of what not to do". But I wont do that.

6. low down A

low down A

anybody that would drive a car with that kind of work is not a car guy and should be walking

blvdbill likes this.
  7. 5window

5window

That's pretty harsh. Isn't the idea to have an old car and drive it? Not everybody has to have a picture-perfect AMBR or Riddler car to be a car guy.

8. low down A

low down A

why drive a old car when you can drive a prius? old car's attract attention i don't know about you but when i attract attention i want it to be for the right reason. something that represent;s the pride in my work

9. 5window

5window

So, if your budget,skills and time mean it's a ten year project, by your logic, you shouldn't drive it until it's completed? BTW, I drive old cars, but I have a Prius,too. :)

Mimilan likes this.
  10. low down A

low down A

your'e being silly, bringing up scenario's that i never said. that chop is a done thing not a in the future thing.

rod1 likes this.
  11. 5window

5window

Absolutely correct, but fixing it is a future thing and you said if it was yours, " anybody that would drive a car with that kind of work is not a car guy". Okay, your opinion, obviously there are others that disagree. So be it.

12. low down A

low down A

fixing what? by your standard's that is fine outstanding work. any car guy would be proud to drive you win

13. bchctybob

bchctybob

Budget36 is right, you’re going to have to fix it to get the glass to fit right. I think you may be able to make a few cuts and re-welds and with some careful hammer and dolly work you can save it at the current height if you want to. Measure the window openings and see if the chop is straight and square, my pickup was way crooked so I had no choice but to re-chop it. Those measurements will be a big factor in moving forward.

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  14. How much chop can you stand? Everyone says "Chop it another inch." the effected area looks for greater then an inch.

upload_2021-8-31_12-26-24.png

woodsnwater likes this.
  15. Squablow

Squablow

Jeez, you guys are talking about this like it's some completely destroyed shit show death trap. It's not going to be that hard to fix. Cut a wider band out at the C pillars, cut the welds apart at the vertical posts, get it straight and reweld it, then fill in the band with new steel, one hard weekend's worth of work will get this thing well within bodywork range. If the posts were straight enough to seat the glass properly the rear corners could probably just be cut open with relief cuts and re-welded, pretty minor.

loudbang, F-ONE, Happydaze and 4 others like this.
  16. JimSibley

JimSibley

Its only metal, cut it , hammer it and get it a little straighter. Hell, its not great, but you could probably fix it with a hammer and some filler and it would last longer than most of us will be on this planet.

loudbang, 5window, reagen and 4 others like this.
  17. -Brent-

-Brent-

You could go the collision guy route and make cuts here and there to relieve tension and portapower it back into shape.

loudbang likes this.
  18. 6sally6

6sally6

Beat it with a hammer & dolly to relieve SOME of the 'suck-in' and warp.....fill the rest. Not a sin to use body filler just not a 1/2" thick gob of it!
    You plan to enter it in shows?!
    Prolly not.........Most folks won't even 'see' it! (just these pro-HAMBers and how many of them do you actually see/know?)
    How many of them are gonna even mention it to you? If they do tell them to develop some manners and kiss your a--!
    Enjoy your car!!
    6sally6

19. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Just an observation. I notice heavy grinding marks on both sides of the weld. That obviously thins the metal, applying too much heat both welding and heavy grinding on the outside led to the sheet metal sucking inward so badly. If you leave the chop height as is, heat it from the inside and massage it outward, sheet metal likes to move back from the heat source which would help take much of that concave area out.

20. You are correct it can be fixed, I am not saying it's destroyed. I am just pointing out despite what most are say is that just another inch out of the of the roof isn't going to fix it despite what many on this thread have said.

There is a good amount of fab work here. If the O.P. has the time and skills to fit it then by all means he should.

However if someone has never done this type of work they could easily make a bad situation worse, and if you have to pay someone it fit you could easily have more in the fixing the roof then what was paid for the whole car.

Dino 64 likes this.
  21. Portapower and a little piece of wood and push it out and you're set. Comments are right on "More Chop" "A"'s look good at 5" chop so cut it some more.

thintin and -Brent- like this.
  22. It's not really more than an inch. It has pulled in an area that is more than an inch but all of that will spring back as soon as the stress of the shrunk weld is removed.

23. adam401

adam401

If it were mine id cut another 2 inches out even if it were perfectly metal finished but thats another discussion I guess.

24. I have chopped many A coupe's take a cut just above the questionable welds, and lay the roof aside, cut just below the questionable welds, set the roof back on, you will need 4 relief cuts two on the roof two on the lower panels, push it around till it is fairly square and start tacking it up, make a million little welds till they become one very slowly and it wont warp, keep kicking it in the teeth as you go and it will be fine. It will push around and lose the suck once it is released. You got this easy fix.

25. choptop40

choptop40

easy fix...its 90 % done...tweak here and there...takes a real man to cut one up....

26. Mimilan

Mimilan

My daily is a Prius C , which is insanely reliable.
    Nothing is worse than constantly working on a daily driver [leave that for the "Attention Grabbing Toys"]

5window likes this.
  27. indyjps

indyjps

That's what I was thinking. Get the windows and pillars straight.

loudbang likes this.
  28. oldsman41

oldsman41

If you like the height of it try hammer and dolly with a little heat,then lead it in a little

29. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Some one did not know how to control heat and understand shrinkage, very AMATEURS work just get some one with a good skill set to fix it. I apprenticed body work from a man named Russel in the late50’s, he did body work during the Great Depression and WW ll when they did not have any new parts when I did my Model A he told me if you have to run any lead on it you screwed it up. Russ was a true craftsman. At 80 I can do it. Frank

5window likes this.
  30. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Yeah, Lots of good advice here. I’m all about projects in progress, but that’s just something I would have to fix.

Budget36 likes this.