Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hey guys, need some help with my "new" 38 Dodge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Reman, Sep 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

I will try to post up a picture or two soon. Its just a 4 dr sedan, so nothing real exciting. Anyway the car is all original, and I want to get it fired up if possible. The wiring is pretty much FUBAR'ed. I am thinking the starter is bad also. So I want to pull start it around the pasture here. The thing is that I do not have a 6V battery to put in it and really hate to buy one before I even know if its worthwhile. So I am using a 12V and want to hotwire it . Can anyone tell if I can hotwire with the 12V without burning something up ? And if so can you please tell exactly what to connect to what ? And how to connect the battery...remember the car is pos. ground. I will appreciate all the input that you guys offer. 50 years ago, this would not have been a problem for me, but it is now. Go figure. Thanks guys

2. Budget36

Budget36

I think you can get by with a 12 v coil and don’t turn on anything electrical (lights, etc). Generator should okay as the regulator should think it’s over charged.
    For a tow start, you should be able to rig up a simple toggle switch from - off the battery to the coil. Remove the wire (tape it up) that would come from the ignition switch and put your wire from the toggle there.
    Probably be a good idea to clean and set the points beforehand.

Oh I say - off the battery assuming your are going to hook it up positive ground.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Oh, make sure at a minimum the ebrake works, don’t want to run over the tow vehicle;)

4. brading

brading

I would remove the charge lead from the generator. Remover the negative lead from the battery and like Budget says just connect a 12v coil to the battery negative terminal via a toggle switch.

vtx1800 likes this.

5. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Thank you guys. You gave me a starting point for sure. I will try it as soon as the weather dries out a bit. I am going to take the generator belt loose for initial start up. And it does actually have a handbrake that appears to hold. Meanwhile I am still open to any recommendations or comments. Thanks

6. dwollam

dwollam

Or just buy a 60's 70's Mopar type ignition resistor and use the 6 volt coil unless it is one mounted thru the firewall and just a single wire showing, then get a different coil as said above. You can use the starter on 12 volt too, just don't crank on it forever. I run a 12 volt GM single wire alternator on my 36 Dodge pickup with the original foot pedal operated 6 volt starter. Been that way for years. I run it negative ground. No big deal.

Dave

7. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Thanks Dave. It does have a thru the firewall coil, but has 2 wires like any other conventional coil.

8. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Before you give up on the starter, pull it apart and clean it. My 218 starter wouldn't spin that great when I first got it. I pulled it apart and the shaft the bendix rides on was caked with old hard grease. Cleaned it up and regreased it. Has worked like new ever since.

Budget36 likes this.
  9. dwollam

dwollam

I changed out my 6 volt '36 Dodge starter once because it was barely working only to find it was corroded cables on the under floor battery!

Dave

10. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

And, we need pictures. I have the same car in my garage but it's still a shell.