Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Flathead Flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jeff34, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Jeff34

Jeff34

So, Some of you know me for my '34 PU project. I've been looking for another project for a long time. My cousin (First cousin once removed...my mothers first cousin) has a '29 roadster that I've been wanting for a long time. He doesn't have the time for it, and I offered to take it off his hands.
    Last month, he had a proposition for me. He was interested in a Hershoff Cat rigged sailboat in Berkeley CA for sale, and said he would trade it for the '29. I went and checked out the boat, and it was pretty sweet! It will be perfect for where he is. So the deal is: I purchase the sailboat and transport it to Bigfork, MT, where he lives. In return, I take home the '29. I'm headed out tomorrow with a good friend on a journey to deliver the sailboat and bring home the car. I'm very excited, and also nervous, about the trip. It's 1,200 miles (yikes) on a sketch boat trailer. The trip home is on a UHual trailer (probably also sketch). But, I'm excited about getting this car home to start my journey on this roadster build. As far as I know, it's a '29, but was titled as a PU for some time. I know I'll have some trouble titling this beast, but it will be worth it. I'll take pictures along the way and post those after I return and get settled.
    Can't wait to get started on this!
    Cheers!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      253.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      240.1 KB
      Views:
    winr, oliver westlund, clem and 25 others like this.
  2. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Awesome, looks like it's in great shape.

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yahoo... more hot rod roadsters!

Excited and nervous for you, too. Tighten everything down real good. Take your time traveling. Give all the idiots plenty of room to be idiots. Doing this with a good friend makes it so much better. Enjoy yourselves. Memories in the making.

dirt t, Spooky, OzMerc39 and 4 others like this.
  4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Wheel bearing grease is your friend.

winduptoy, Spooky, OzMerc39 and 11 others like this.

5. Nobey

Nobey

The tie down straps like to come loose, especially driving in California. As soon as you hit Nevada the
    roads like glass, so check them often. Be sure to take lots of photos and share them here. Have fun....

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well Congrats...;)...Plans?...doesn't look like any dirt to save...:oops:

7. brady1929

brady1929

Congrulations. Color me jealous.

8. chucka

chucka

Echo all above PLUS - - - don't even think about not posting after you get back. We like pics! Maybe even pics of the trip itself. Thanks in advance.

9. Jeff34

Jeff34

Outback, Big mike 1968, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  10. Jeff34

Jeff34

Leaving at 7AM. All ready to go!
    IMG_1691.JPG

11. Good luck...make sure you check the boat trailer wheel bearings...especially if the trailer has been used to launch the boat in salt water.

Keep us posted on your adventure.

12. As mentioned by others - you should check the wheel bearings on the boat trailer and repack them if they look in question ….

If you don’t have at least one mounted spare
    for the boat trailer - pick one up and make sure you
    have a jack that will work to change out a flat.

Stop periodically and feel the trailer wheel around the center hub to see how hot it is.

All of the wheels should feel the same - if one is hotter that usually means you having a bearing
    starting to fail.

I wouldn’t exceed 55 mph towing - even when you leave California ….

Safe Travels !

Jim

Click Here To See Where I Am Today
    What My Actual Customers Say Click Here
    Click Here To See Vehicles I Have Hauled

13. Jeff34

Jeff34

We’ll, we made it to Rufus, OR today. Had one early hiccup in Vacaville. Apparently when the PO repacked the bearings he may have changed something on the surge brakes. They were engaged for about the first 30 minutes. I pulled over to check the tie down straps, and the hubs were really hot! We dont really need brakes with a boat this size so we pulled the hubs to check the bearings (fine) and then disassembled the brakes. Replaced the hubs and drove for another 15-20 minutes. Hubs were cool to the touch. Measured 90F on a 92F day. We checked them each time we stopped, and they seem to be fine now.
    The smoke was really bad in Northern CA, but got better once we gut further up into OR. Tomorrow is a shorter day with only 7 hours to go. Hope to leave early so we arrive during daylight.
    2021-08-31_22-15-05.jpg
    View attachment 5157841

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  14. neds29

neds29

That's a good looking Model A. Nice looking boat too.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All good advice. Glad you caught that the brakes were on.
    A positive note. With tongue in cheek. Maybe all that heat made sure the grease was circulated through the bearings.
    Good luck!

16. Jeff34

Jeff34

831-2.jpg 831-1.jpg 831-3.jpg 831-4.jpg We made it to Bigfork. A couple of roadkill along the way, but nothing serious. Seven hours on the road today. Stopped in Spokane for lunch and then on to Flathead Lake. Parked the boat. Had dinner with my cousin and his wife and traded some fun stories. Really tired after all that. We may head up to Glacier tomorrow if we’re inclined and can get a ticket. Otherwise we’ll hang out around the lake and see some sights. On the way into town I did spot a flathead Ford museum of sorts, but it didn’t look open. I’ll have to check that. If I can get my hotspot to work I’ll add a few more pics.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

So glad to see you making it happen, Jeff. I'm excited to come along for the ride. We'll have to roll together at the next reliability run. Safe travels!

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flathead Lake...that's funny...we have a Lake Hambly this way...coincidentally cool...

19. loudbang

loudbang

Easier to see :)

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

20. neds29

neds29

Very nice looking A. What's the condition of the top and upholstery?

Big mike 1968 and Stogy like this.
  21. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

The exterior door handles usually denote 29, she's a beauty. Good luck

Big mike 1968, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  22. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Cool story and great little roadster

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Perfect Hot Rod material - Congrats! I'm looking forward to following along and seeing what you decide to do with it.

Stogy likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was worth it...glad you did...the lighting really compliments the Ole Henry...nice series of pics...is there a flatbed on that Trailer?

Outback, Big mike 1968 and loudbang like this.
  25. Nicely done...thanks for the updates. Is your cousin happy with the trade now that he's seen the boat firsthand? I must admit, that would be my fear after you've gone through the effort, cold feet happen and suddenly you're a sailboat owner with long haul experience.

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Been there, done that! My deal was for a nice '34 Fordor, client wanted a '49 Chevy in trade.
    Much hassle, but delivered the original (nice, shiny!) '49 Chevy tudor to Nevada.
    Client walked around, made some comments..."Didn't know it'd be green!"
    Brought Chevy back to San Jose...but sold Chevy for $2500.
    Good money in '76. Sure missed that '34...

tractorguy, Stogy, Jeff34 and 3 others like this.
  27. alchemy

alchemy

Ask your cousin if he knows a one-legged man named Stan in Flathead Lake. Stan might (still) have an Avanti and a '39 Chevy tudor.

28. Jeff34

Jeff34

Went through the garage and the yard. Loaded up a bunch of of parts. Spare engine, brake drums, wheel, steering wheel, steering column, starter, etc. Also a bunch of old model A tools that he doesn’t need anymore.

oliver westlund, Tim, Outback and 8 others like this.
  29. MitFab

MitFab
    from Austin, TX

Looks like an awesome project, congrats! Glad the trip went well. I built a lot of memories with my kids doing those kinds of trips.

loudbang likes this.