Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ever wonder what happened to your Old Rod Hot?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moonglow, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Moonglow

Moonglow

Well I have...

I sold my 29' Model A project to a guy in the Las Cruces, NM area before a move to Taos in 2011-ish. I heard he got it running, but lost touch with our common contact.

I custom built the frame from 2x4 steel tubing and added some lightening holes forward of the firewall. I sold it with a 289 SBF, and a set of Cal Custom valve covers.

I know this is a long shot, but if anyone knows what ever happened to my old Hot Rod, I sure would appreciate an update.

Thanks fellas...

Attached Files:

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I sold a couple of Fairlanes in the late 70s that I would like to see again.

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Selling will almost always lead to future regret....

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope and never want to know.

5. Careful what you wish for, we ran across my old Model A pickup which had been gone for almost 30 years and I always thought that if I ever found it I would try to buy it back, like I said we found it and it had been turned into a street rod circus wagon, I darn near puked when I realized it was my old truck,:( HRP

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  6. No offence but that front suspension looks a little sketchy. HRP

[​IMG]

Nov 9th (2) 2007 low rez.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  7. My old chopped and channeled 1934 Ford pickup has been sitting outside under a tarp for at least the last 15 years. I could buy it back for about 12-15 times what I sold it to him for. It would be cheaper to build a clone.

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have sold quite a few over the years--know where many still are-most are still as I built them. 3 are in one guys collection

9. RmK57

RmK57

Of all the old cars I've sold over the years I have never come across one that used to be mine.

10. Of the dozens I've sold, I've never seen any of them. Have heard of a few being totaled though.

11. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

IMG_20200925_132743.jpg IMG_20200925_132734.jpg I had a 31 coupster that I built years ago it was super reliable and comfortable. Id think about buying it back if I saw it again. I sold it to a guy in New York and haven't seen it since I was about 10 years ago. I'll throw up a picture when I get home maybe the guy is on the hamb who knows

12. lake_harley

lake_harley

Not a hot rod, but I sold a MiniMAX all wood ultralight airplane that I had built from plans. 3 years and 1000+ hours to build. The 2nd owner after I sold it sent photos of it with "improvements" he had made. I'm still trying to get the hideous image out of my mind.:eek:

Lynn

13. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have former cars scattered around the globe but the closest is my old Merc in Raleigh. She threatens to come back home every once in a while.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

14. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've sold a boat load of car and trucks over the years. I know where, or what has happened to several of them, a few still exist.
    Years ago I built an off topic Plymouth, I put a ton of money in that go fast street car. I sold it without the HP motor (the buyer didn't want it) but did install a stock motor into the car. I lost track of it for about 20 years when I was told it was for sale again. I went and looked at it. I would have had to start all over, not much of it was left, but it was cheap. I passed on it, I would have been expected to build it like I did the first time, and I was well past that time in my life. I saw the car a couple months later on a car trailer heading west. I heard it was restored to its out of the showroom condition. Its in a much better place then it would have been with me.

The last 2 I sold I still see around. Neither has been changed much, and both new owners are very happy with them. I sold all those vehicles because I didn't want them any more, or they no longer served my needs. Its kind of exciting to see something I once owned still being used, but that is about as far as it goes with me. Gene

15. indyjps

indyjps

Good luck on your search.

Once they're gone, I'm done. Not a care in the world what's happens next to them. Goes for cars and women.

16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

With 50 + years of building cars I to have them all over the world. Once in a while I'll get contacted by the current owner telling me where the car is now. Many have just disappeared.

Moonglow, olscrounger and dana barlow like this.
  17. hudson48

hudson48

My channelled 29 roadster with YBlock/39 trans. Built around 1965 by another well known Brisbane rodder and I purchased in 1968 and rebuilt in 1970.Sold in 1971 and went to Darwin NT Australia.
    Never heard from again. Someone did say years ago they thought it came down in a transporter,it was stripped down with a welder in the cabin that had fallen over on the trip and taken the side out.
    Was dark blue. My 29 Roadster at Brisbane Show.jpg PaulMKsRoadster1.jpg

18. JimSibley

JimSibley

I have a few that I miss. I wonder where they went, and how they have changed. All four of these were cars that i often think about. A9A0CAC8-3254-488F-86A4-28B8D61603FE.jpeg 50053782-2ECE-45D4-96E2-2B7ADBCB74F7.jpeg

wicarnut, Moonglow, raven and 2 others like this.
  19. I have sold a couple that I would be interested in knowing where they're at...
    My '26
    16.jpg

and my '29 113.JPG

Last year I had the chance to buy back my '46, I was tempted...
    25.jpg

wicarnut and Moonglow like this.
  20. ...sold this 37 a few years back to a guy in Denver, Co, he sold it about a year later,...just wondering if anyone has seen it lately?' (I'm not interested in buying it back, just curious where it is now)
    37 coupe 5-10 016.jpg 37 coupe 5-10 014.jpg

Moonglow, carpok and Hollywood-East like this.
  21. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I've wondered what happened to my V8 60 powered 28 Special Coupe , I sold it about 25 years ago. Was never happy with the V8 60 and didn't want to change what it would take to put a regular flathead in it, was built around the V8 60.

ark073.jpg

Moonglow and Donut Dave like this.
  22. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Moonglow, with that front end suspension like it is, I'm not so sure you want that car back. In all my years in building street rods I have never seen the spring and shackles mounted upside-down, under the axle. Also, with the reversed spindles the Ackermann Geometry is way out. I would bet that the guy you sold it to cut it off and started from scratch.

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Had my '55 Chev gasser stolen in 1973. Sure wish somebody would tell me where it went!

Moonglow likes this.
  24. Nope. Had it since 1964, will probably be buried in it. It was my dream car and still is after 55 years.
    1-P5220021.JPG

25. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I've never sold any of my running pre '65 cars. But I do wonder where some of the bodies I've sold have gone or if they ever got built. The running OT by 1 year El Camino that I sold was totaled within 2 weeks by the kid that bought it. That was a shame.

26. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Hmm, interesting. At first, I'da said, no, no way. But looking a little longer, makes me wonder.
    The second car, with the tan/brown chassis, that car is a show car only. Don't think that car has been faster than about 20mph.
    I'd say that it "needs" a (long) Panhard rod though.

Mike

27. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Sold this to guy from Ponca City,OK back in ‘83. Always wondered how it ended up or if it has even survived the ensuing years. Was a lot of fun back in high school.

61FAAEED-F501-4BEC-AEB5-3A57311684FD.jpeg

Moonglow likes this.
  28. Just heard after 15 years one of mine id finding its 3rd owner. I think that is cool

Moonglow likes this.
  29. I sold my OT muscle car (67 gto) I'd had for almost 20 years about 6 or 7 years ago. Bought it back last year as a surprise for a friend,(the person I bought it from). It cool to have it back in the family.

Moonglow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

While I can't say I miss the car itself, it was kind of a hoopty, I miss the feeling I got when I drove it. It was my first roadster and driving it gave me the feeling of freedom. Wind in your hair, go anywhere, being part of the world as you motored along.

After I get my next roadster driving I don't expect to be without one again...

IMG_5640.JPG

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    Moonglow, Rickybop and kidcampbell71 like this.