Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front suspension

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by usmc72, Aug 31, 2021.

1. usmc72

usmc72

I know my 40 Desoto uses an IFS. I've been told to just rebuild it using original parts and it would work just fine. I want to know what people think of an airbag or coil over installed and what car would you get it from. I have 331 going into so the extra weight may effect handling. I want to drop the front 2 or 3 inches along with the back.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The 331 may do the drop for you of the front,can only really know after.
    And if your not in to rake,you can deel with that at rear.
    I'm also one that like idea of just rebuilt stock front end,but would add disk up front when rebuilding.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a fan of air bags and don't see the need for coil overs.
    The Desoto suspension is pretty simple and someone may make dropped uprights for them. 20210831_184245.jpg

4. No need to drop anything until the weight is in it.
    It’s hard making mods when you don’t know what they are yet. But ......
    You can build at ride height, then figure out spring rate.
    Meaning you can remove the coil spring and get the car setting how you want it finished.
    Then you figure out the mods necessary to achieve that. Then check alignment.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    Just Gary and Truckdoctor Andy like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A front end rebuild kit and those uprights and you have a nice riding car that is three inches lower than stock. I'd imagine the purveyor of custom disk brake kits with simple parts has a kit for it too if the stock drums don't get the job done.

Guy Patterson and anthony myrick like this.
  6. There’s a ton of info out there for that for Plymouth and Dodges for the same year.

Guy Patterson likes this.
  7. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Yup 1939 up on Plymouth and Dodge

8. Why would you want to do that?

9. I've had a 318 Poly in my 1940 Dodge since 1973 so might be able to give you some advice..............an airbag might be doable with a bit of work however coilovers would required a heap of work due to the general design of the 1939-56 Mopar front suspension.......my advice is to rebuild the stock front end, install the 331 and see how that drops the front end as it should drop it maybe 2-3 inches anyway............Fatman make drop spindles if you need to drop the front end any more..........there are shock relocation kits available tho' I'd see how the car handles with being rebuilt and new shocks..............disc brake kits are available also from a couple of suppliers.........using a 331 are you going to use the Hemi gearbox and its attached parking brake?...........if not and you intend to swap to a different , non Hemi gearbox then if you want a parking brake then you'll have to swap rear axles as stock mopars at least up to 1961/62 do not have the parking brake on the rear axle, its on the end of the transmission..........my car uses 1942-56 stub axles on the 1940 spindles, Oz Leyland 11" vented discs, narrowed Austin Rack & Pinion, a 1" swap bar made in the stock shape with Heim jointed ends and mid 50's Ford Coils with 1 coil cut..........anyway the stock front end will be fine once rebuilt.........try Andy Bernbaum, www.oldmoparts.com for parts..........regards, Andy Douglas

Attached Files:

• 025.JPG
      025.JPG
      File size:
      223.5 KB
      Views:
    • 019.JPG
      019.JPG
      File size:
      204.2 KB
      Views:
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. hkestes

hkestes

While not a 40 Desoto, I have had two 48 Plymouth coupes which have basically the same general front suspension design. The first I had professionaly subframed with a Nova subframe and though it drove well. The second I did a complete stock rebuild with the exception of adding a Rusty Hope disc brake kit. Never did get around to relocating the upper shock mount before selling though it was on the list of things to do.

I can say that the stock rebuilt front suspension rode and drove every bit as good as the subframed car. Chrysler engineers of the day had the independent front suspension well engineered and were far and away light years ahead of the competition. Only real glitch was that upper shock mount.

If it were my Desoto, I would spend a weekend doing the stock rebuild and adding disc brakes and be done.

Guy Patterson, 302GMC and Elcohaulic like this.
  11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The stock setup is good if it is in good shape, replace worn parts, and get an alignment. It helps to relocate the upper shock mount to the frame and install premium quality shocks. Some guys have installed a bigger anti roll bar, I think they used one off a Jeep but try it first without and see how you like it. While you are at it recondition the rear springs by cleaning up the leaves and installing new bushings and sliders and new shocks. You will be impressed with how nice it rides and drives.

Guy Patterson likes this.