Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration METAL BADGES AND EMBLEMS FROM OUR PAST

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41 GMC K-18, Aug 31, 2021.

1. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Growing up in the San Joaquin Valley ( Atwater ), California, my dad had a wrecking yard with a wheel alignment pit and bays for tune up and a body shop as well.

my dad's wrecking yard (2).jpg

After 20 years of that business operating, sadly he passed away at the young age of 48.

I would go down to California annually for a gathering of vintage aircraft ( Luscombe's ) at Columbia California, and on the way home, I would stop at the property that used to be our wrecking yard. One year I went into the building that had long since been abandoned and I wanted to look around to see what was left, if anything.

All that was left, were the " JOHN BEAN " cabinets, for the wheel alignment equipment.

The turn tables were gone, the projectors and mirrors were gone, but on the cabinets, were these two really cool "JOHN BEAN " badges / emblems and they were easy to remove. In essence, that was literally, all that was left of my dads business. I have had these badges for years, but over the years, they had disappeared into some box, someplace. Just a few days ago while going through a lot of boxes, there they were, still bright and gleaming. Indeed just finding them again brought back a lot of great memories.

John Bean.jpg

So I invite all of the H.A.M.B. universe, to post the the metal badges and emblems from your past, that brings back memories to you as well !

Thanks for reading, from Dennis.

Dave Mc, BigRRR, SS327 and 8 others like this.
  2. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

After reading an article about the article about Keikenhafer and the daytona racing with the hemi cars I found this back in high school in the 80's. The Fire dept sign was taken off of my gradpas truck. The impala badges s well as the c10 badge, volks and harley badges ive been packing around since i was in jr high. badges.jpg badges2.jpg badges3.jpg

3. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Grandparent's St. Christopher travelers visor clip on the header above the steering wheel. My Grandad's Hyvis oil token on my oil filler cap and his Johnson Winged 70 Gasolene token on my gas cap.....and the key to his model A on my key ring....for luck.;)

DSC01137.JPG DSC01135.JPG DSC01142.JPG

Dave Mc, 302GMC, Jim Bouchard and 4 others like this.
  4. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

My sister found this at a thrift store, someone had cut off the hands..kinda wierd. But, she added a
    crescent wrench and gave it to me to put in my garage to give me good "Carma" when I am working on
    cars. Must work as I have had no cars fall on me since...haha... Karma.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

7. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    Dave Mc, dana barlow, 302GMC and 2 others like this.
  8. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, great responses from the H.A.M.B. universe indeed !
    Here is a very cool badge that I recently gave to fellow H.A.M.B.E.R., @ClarkH that fits nicely on the voltage regulator of his mercury speedster.

restocrat badge.jpg

Dave Mc, dana barlow and ClarkH like this.
  9. This one is still attached to my Hydro. I bought a basket case '36 Willys coupe from a class mate in '64 for $75. Got a basket case 331 hemi from another classmate for $25. Bought a wrecking yard '56 Oldsmobile for $15 hoping to get a rear end and tranny. Unfortunately I found out GM discontinued the Dual Range Hydro in '55. Was able to trade the '56 tranny for my '54 Hydro to another classmate. The tranny came from an old Mercury that had an engine swap sometime in the past. How fitting that this is a Willys Hydro in a Willys coupe 'gasser'?!!

upload_2021-9-1_10-53-53.jpeg

10. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

No, I'm not a PE. But my grandfather was and I remember these badges on the grilles of his Buicks over the years. So I had to buy it for my 37 sedan when I found it at Carlisle.

Attached Files:

Dave Mc and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  11. I'm a PE! California P1482

12. BigRRR

BigRRR

Mobil Oil Pegasis.jpg Maxwell Badge.jpg Rod Bender Plaque.jpg Augie Garcia Mirror.jpg
    *Mobil Pegasus - Hung in my grandfathers basement shop, always loved it as kid.
    *Grill Badge from my Great-Grandfathers first car ...
    *Rod Bender Plaque my Dad carved as a teen in the 1950s ...
    *Rearview mirror from Augie Garcia's 1950s Austin Healey - Augie was a local Rock-n-Roller, credited with cutting the first Rock-n-roll recording in MN back in '55.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  13. alchemy

alchemy

You must be OLD! Here in Iowa the PE license numbers are up in the 20,000's.

41 GMC K-18 and joep4567 like this.
  14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Club in the 1950s MiamiSportsCarClubBadge.jpg

Dave Mc and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  15. A) I am old, got it in about 1985, and B) it is Petroleum and there are WAY fewer of them than mechanical, electrical, civil, etc.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.