Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Black & Decker Valve Grinder Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Aug 28, 2021.

1. BJR

BJR

valve grinder 1.jpg valve grinder 2.jpg valve grinder 3.jpg I just bought this old valve grinder, and need some help on how to use it. Anyone have a manual or can explain to me how to use it? What is the grinding wheel on. the right side for?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    302GMC likes this.
  2. Fordors

Fordors

Can’t help with a manual but the wheel on the right should have a v-block next to it. You clamp a valve in the block and there is an adjustment knob graduated in thousandths so you can reface valve stem tips.

Desoto291Hemi, loudbang, BJR and 3 others like this.
  3. Fordors

Fordors

8980F520-1CA1-4464-B23D-A3D06DC743F5.jpeg

Graduated adjustment knob.

Deuces and BJR like this.

4. noboD

noboD

Call or email the manufacturer, they will send you a manual. It's the law. Only thing WJC ever did right while in office.

vtx1800 and BJR like this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

valve grinder 2 (3)_LI.jpg Black and Decker hasn't made valve grinding equipment for over 40 years to my knowledge.
    There are a few videos here black and decker valve grinder history - Bing video that are worth looking at as they are of similar models.
    From what I can see you are missing the diamond nibs for dressing the stones and their holders. The stones have to be dressed with the proper setup or they don't grind the valve right. You also have to be beyond gentle while dressing the stones as it is super easy to knock the diamond out of the screw piece it is held in and have to spend another 50 bucks to buy another one.

This is a Sioux valve grinder that he is using but his instructions are excellent and can be used on the Black and decker. Intake & Exhaust Valve Grinding and Machining - Bing video

Gentle is the key, My former students will tell you that I could be 100 ft away in my office and tell if they were grinding valves correctly by the sound.

Start and practice with a bunch of old throw away valves. It actually doesn't take that many before you usually get the hang of it and your left hand learns what the right hand wants it to do when.
    The first thing I would do is clean it up really good and figure out what else I needed to go with it so it will be useful. Then you have to find the seat grinder to do the other half of the valve job on the seats.

BJR, Desoto291Hemi and loudbang like this.
  6. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

The right wheel may have an attachment also for facing the rocker arm tips. You insert the rocker horizontally and swing the face against the wheel. I have a diamond mounted on threaded holder for this I will sell if interested. I sold a lot of B&D valve shops in the 60's

BJR and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. @Mr48chev what you said about listening to your students grind valves and the sound brought me back to my time in auto shop in collage.

the machine shop teacher went through all the steps to doing a complete valve job, Knurl pistons and a whole bunch of other stuff.
    And told us, as long as you try you will get 100% in his class.
    Only way to fail is if you break a tool.
    When asked why the fail , his response was this is all finger tip gentle machining process if you break a tool means you where Hamb fisting the operation.
    Would you body slam your girl friend during sex ? No ! So don’t Hamb fist my tools.

One guy failed :D

loudbang, BJR and Deuces like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He is probably going to need that diamond nib and it's holder if it is the right one for his machine.

The Sioux that we had in the high school auto shop that I was a student in from 1962 though 1965 and then taught auto mechanics in from 1978 through 1991 had all the bells and whistles that came with one in the late 50's. It did have the fixture for the rocker arm tips.
    It also had a setup that you could put the slight bevel on the edge of the valve stem tip when you dressed the tip. It looks like the one that BJR bought can be adjusted for that. That is pretty much a hand operation like dressing the stems that the guy showed in the video I posted. A practiced operation but a rather simple one when you figure out what you are doing.

My buddy had an old Black and Decker valve grinder and hard seat grinder setup that I used more than he did that I missed out on when his family sold off his stuff because I thought it was worth way more than his step son sold it for. I don't have room for it but it did work pretty well even though it was missing a few pieces.

BJR likes this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve a B and D as well, someday I might actually use it…anyone post a pic and location of the “Diamond tip”?

BJR and Deuces like this.
  10. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Truck64 and Budget36 like this.
  11. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

It's been a long time since I've seen one of those - like say late 70's->very early 80's. At Mankato State IT in the shop, where I was a helper, I got to fix the diamond nib almost each time someone used it. Esp whenever *I* wanted to use it. Finness & light touch are not universally understood. IIRC, whoever lost the stone due to heavyhanded use got to buy another - although I don't remember them being very expensive. The black industrial diamond was ~the size of a very large grain of sand. It went into a threaded holder that looked a lot like a bolt, iirc. So when I repaired (reattached) the diamond to the nib(?), I just drilled a hole further into the center of the nib, epoxied(Would've used better epoxy than Hot Fuel Proof Flying Model Airplane stuff, but I didn't have access to the really good industrial epoxies then) the diamond in, & after it hardened, ground a taper all around the diamond so that it stuck out a little. Since it was only used for facing off the valve & stem cutting stones, the diamond didn't have to be placed perfectly. But the angle cuts on the stones did. Iirc, I also faced off the valve seat stones w./that, too. Before I graduated in '82, I got to use Neway cutters, so I never used the stones on seats again. The valve cutter was really handy. Wish I had one.
    Marcus...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Deuces and Budget36 like this.
  12. sunbeam

sunbeam

Many flat heads did not have adjustable lifters so you had to grind the valve stems after a valve job to set the valve lash. You will need to take it slow because it does not have coolant.

13. loudbang

loudbang

For a "Full Valve Job" you also need the part that looks something like an old drill that comes in a set with that machine to resurface the valve seats. At has "guides" that fit in the valve guide and a "spindle" like holder that has a stone on one end and some stones for different valve seat angles . You slide that over the guide and use the drill type mechanism to spin the stone on the seat. It also has a diamond tipped attachment to dress the stones.

That diamond tipped attachment is EXPENSIVE as I learned on my very first attempt and knocked the diamond into the bleacher seats and had to replace it. :rolleyes:

14. Budget36

Budget36

The one I picked up has at least 20 pilots and as many stones as I recall, haven’t really looked it in years. I did get two of the motors for the stones to do the seats with.
    I don’t remember if the pilots were adjustable or not.
    Now I have to clean up, off and around it tomorrow and take a look!

BJR, loudbang and Deuces like this.