Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Pontiac V8 in a 1940 Ford chassis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lowandslow54, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Lowandslow54

Lowandslow54

Hey how’s it going fellas had a question is there anyone on the forum that put/have a 1956 Pontiac 316 with a TH350 mounted onto a 1940 Ford passenger chassis in a 36’ pickup

reason I ask is because I am having trouble with mounting and would like to see what others may have done with pics if possible.

any suggestions or advice would greatly appreciated

2. Also check out Olds installations, they should be similar.
    I had a '56 Pontiac 55 years ago, but don't remember... Is the engine mount on the front or sides? If in the front, you may want to come up with a different method, as hanging the engine and trans from their ends like that puts a lot of stain on the transmission case. JMHO

Lowandslow54 likes this.
  3. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

look for the build thread by flamedabone. the Pontiac is not much different sizewise than a SBC. the starter on the left will be your biggest challenge, clearing the steering.

what specifically are you having trouble with?

4. bchctybob

bchctybob

‘56 Pontiac’s had a big single rubber mount in front bolted to the cast iron timing chain cover and a mount on each side at the bellhousing. Hurst made an elaborate “wide-stance” mount that bolted on the front and used early Ford biscuits. That should mount up nice in your chassis. Check eBay, I’ve seen them on there NOS and someone was selling copies a while back.
    Since you’re running a TH350 you should make up some kind of mounts at the bellhousing area to avoid stressing the aluminum case. Look at the mid-mounts from Danchuk (for Chevys) for ideas.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    Lowandslow54 likes this.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Here’s a picture of the Hurst mount, PO-202. I think the SP-150 U-shaped spacers were also required for your chassis IIRC.

BFD0855A-5E13-4C15-8AC3-BC1AEC6CB619.png

Lowandslow54 likes this.
  6. Lowandslow54

Lowandslow54

Hank

Thank you I do have the mounts given to me when getting the motor for the trans to take the stress off the trans case.

7. Lowandslow54

Lowandslow54

I’m having trouble with the clearance on the trans seeing the trans to fit in he center trans crossmember being so narrow.

I was wondering if anyone had any pics of how they modified there chassis to accommodate the 350 trans to fit properly is what I was looking for specifically.