Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T400 output shaft

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Ardinger, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

So I know I’m getting old and can’t remember stuff, but a buddy just asked if he could take the bolt on truck yoke off and use a slip yoke. As far as I remember that’s all he needs to do right? For some reason I kinda remember having to modify the yoke because it hits a boss on the output shaft? Or just use the shorter yoke? I can’t remember. Ugh
    Thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah. Tell him to see if the slip yoke goes in far enough to work right.

Also...some of the slip yokes have a long unsplined area at the end that fits over an o ring on the shaft, and they also have a hole in the end to vent air as the yoke moves in and out. Just one more thing to think about.

3. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

I think I remember cutting off that unsplined portion on one before correct?
    Thanks

squirrel likes this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

Only been into a few TH400’s and have never seen one with an Oring in the shaft. @squirrel what kept the Oring from walking out as the slip would move in and out?

5. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

The o ring is in a groove. The smooth part of yoke seals on the o ring. On those, the yoke needs to have a hole in the tube of it to vent air as it moves in and out. I have done a lot a turbo 400s but usually we would change the output shaft over to a regular car output shaft in that instance.

Budget36 likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a rather crusty turbo 400 short shaft I have out back that I took out of a trans years ago and didn't store properly. This should give you measurements to go by if you don't have them readily available. IMG_2444.JPG IMG_2446 (3).JPG IMG_2447 (2).JPG

7. squirrel

squirrel

does that one have a threaded hole in the end?

8. Sporty45

Sporty45

Good topic, I'll need to address the same situation too as my TH400 also has the bolt on output shaft .

9. 4tford

4tford

I have one and trimmed the yoke down. I bought mine from denny's driveshaft they asked me if mine had the threaded end on the trans so they modified the yoke when they built my driveshaft.
    www.dennysdriveshaft.com

Deuces, Kevin Ardinger and Sporty45 like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, it is just a regular short shaft. I just posted it for comparison measurements.
    I had a half dozen turbo 400 transmissions out here a few years ago and scrapped all but one of them that I saved back for a core. Kind of a cleanup on Aisle T400.

Deuces likes this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

I got rid of most of my core transmissions 11 years ago when I cleaned up the yard, then got rid of more when I moved last winter. I did save one complete chevy 400, and a few boxes of parts. I have a few output shafts, this is the only "short" shaft I have, and it does have a tapped hole in the end. It's different from the rusty one in the picture above.

shaft.jpg

12. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

squirrel likes this.