Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
    Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  2. 97

Even Ford called the 30-31 Fords "Modern A " in their advertising, in Australia they called them "New improved A". and that is how the Aussies still refer to 30-31s. In 32 Ford went to a radical flowing modern "shaped frame", by 33 they were positively futuristic swoopy flowing body and all....that's my story and I am sticking too it.:D:cool:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  3. Nobey

Nobey

Your Mom and Dad look right at home in your roadster, how fun was that. Nice score on the 32 frame, this is going to be a fun build....

4. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I've just waded through this whole thread, I built my first A from a rolling chassis & a $50 farm find body (rpu), ended up driving it 1200 miles over a week after a couple of years of shake down, I was early 20's & loving the experience! Nearly 15 years after selling it I ended up with another one & this thread & your story telling @J.Ukrop has fired me up again! Love your work, your attitude & your approach. I remember all of the wonderful interactions with the community. So much fun! - mostly

dumprat, Stogy, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  5. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

in reading this thread I definitely will consider a car like this banger. fun old car. and early tech.

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The whole idea is " fun old car. and early tech.". The issue is how well you do it. :)

7. I got a Mitchel overdrive in my Roadster, Got 2 stalks!

8. i had a Friend do that to a Chevy truck i had, i was ready to get some tune up parts, but i saw that 1 and 2 plug wires where crossed

9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That wasn't a friend it was a domestic terrorist. :eek: :D

Stogy, Woogeroo and loudbang like this.
  10. I had a 33 to 36 water pump on my A with that adaptor on it when i bought it. it also had Dennis Clings serpentine belt pulleys on it with Dennis Clings fan. I drove the car 250 miles , and the water pump went out. the V8 pump only has a bronze bushing in it, it cant handle the spinning mass of a fan, the A pump has a Bering in it. I changed the pump to a leek less A pump with a new pulley From dennis cling and never had trouble with it. also i have a 1 wire delco alternator and no charging trouble

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  11. This is a Great Thread, i have just finished reading it, thanks for the hard work joey!

J.Ukrop, Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  12. 100_4436.JPG

Picture of my car, it's a good runner, it also has a Mitchell with 378's in the rear

13. 97

14. 97

The leakless is an aftermarket pump, the aftermarket V8 pumps can have a roller bearing too,( e.g. Bob Drake or Carpenter ) . Both of the originals have bushes which need to be greased regularly to survive , but I think it is the belt tension you need, to run an alternator without slipping and squealing that causes the pump to wear rather than a fan mounted on the pump. I think the serpentine belt also adds some side loading over the original V belt!

Outback, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  15. neds29

neds29

That BT-13 or "Vultee Vibrator" looks a little weather-beaten. They were not a popular post war airplane. Wonder if he ever got it airborne?

Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and Six Ball like this.
  16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hey friends! Just got back from a 1,400-mile chopper trip to Born Free in Los Angeles on my 51-year-old survivor Ironhead. I'll post some small Model A updates/announcements tomorrow. Thank you everyone for sticking with me! IMG_8069.jpg

17. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Anywhere we can see pics from the chopper trip??

18. 97

So where are you posting the story about Born Free? Did you drop in on Squeak on the way home, to see that 32 and ask about a runner flathead?

curbspeed, J.Ukrop, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Friggin' outlaw! You'll bring dishonor to us all. :rolleyes:

20. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This particular shot of @J.Ukrop, when you zoom in and take a look at the subtle little spontaneous details of the composition of the photograph, there is a lot going on there!
    The words " earn free " at Joeys neck, what appears to be a vintage rangefinder film camera, and the vintage leather neck strap for the camera, the well worn older style work boots, the words on the helmet that are the "truth", the signature ever present sunglasses on the seat of the chopper, the little black tool bag attached to the sissy bar and perched over the tail light, definitely a captured moment, from the trip to LA. The black leather jacket, is a classic as well!

J.Ukrop and Pista_510 like this.
  21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Seeing them drive this car was one of the happiest moments of my entire life. I feel incredibly fortunate. While talking with my dad today, he asked, "Have you ever thought about keeping this one as-is and just building a second car?"

Yesss! I love it. Thank you for the kind words. I remember your comments from the early days of this thread and I'm excited to have you back on board again. Fun things are on the horizon.

Thank you, that's what I love to hear. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

You know me, I'm trying my darndest to do it right!

Thank you so much! None of this would have been possible without you guys' help.

What a machine!

Most of my motorcycle stuff ends up here on my Instagram and occasionally in the pages of DicE Magazine. Yama and my friend Paul are working on a Mazi Moto video about our ride. I'll share it on here when it's done.

As of now, I don't have any plans for the coverage. I did shoot two-and-a-half rolls of slide film with that old Konica, so I'll be getting that developed soon. We stayed on Highway 1 for most of the route, so no Squeak visits this trip. That being said, I will be back down there later in the month...

Rough-n-tumble! Hey, being a "Choprodder" is traditional. 90710737_2845446768835542_6698324844724879360_n.jpg

Man, great attention to detail! No matter what I'm working on, I love to keep things as era-correct as possible. 241157493_2591295101179331_5193997027264482964_n.jpg
    I even broke out my era-correct duffle bag for the event. This was taken somewhere between here and there.

Wow! That's such a neat bike. I love that it has the 33.4 front end and hamburger front drum. Great color too. I wish you and that bike could have come on the trip with us!

22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The Born Free trip was eye opening for me. I know motorcycles aren't our main topic of discussion here, but spending all that time on the road on a vintage machine that I put together in my garage gave me an opportunity to think about my goals as a hot rodder and, most importantly, this car. We'll get into that a bit later.

Down in Southern California, I was taking notes. Lots of notes. I paid special attention to paint, weathering and fabrication work. Born Free, much like the Grand National Roadster Show, brings out all the heavy hitters. Here are a few shots of things that I find inspirational.
    IMG_7900.jpg
    This is a Knucklehead built by my friend Max Schaaf. It's made up of old and new parts that have been blended to perfection. Although I didn't get a photo of it, this bike runs a cast aluminum skull shift knob—a lot like my car.
    IMG_7894.jpg
    Some amazing old paint on a flathead Indian.
    IMG_7906.jpg
    There was some unbelievable detailing on this '56 K-model. I especially like the chrome frame and speed holes galore. Note the gears to actuate both throttles simultaneously.
    IMG_7963.jpg
    There's more to life than Knuckleheads, but I loved the stance/condition of this one. IMG_7957.jpg
    And this one too, which was named Josephine and originally from Michigan.
    IMG_7869.jpg
    Anyways, I could post bike pictures all day. I did get to meet the fine folks from San Diego's Nostalgia Ranch, who drove this '32 to the show. IMG_8014.jpg
    I also dug this V8-powered Mercury Meteor, which was parked nearby at Cook's Corner.
    IMG_7885.jpg
    If you've made it this far through this post, you may or may not have some interest in old motorcycles. My plan is to build a Panhead next. If you or anyone you know has one that they're looking to get rid of, please let me know. I plan to take on that project once my car has its V8.

23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Back on topic.

First and foremost, I have a little bit of a change of plans. Remember when I said I was going to drive the car to RPM at the end of the month? Well, considering I just took pretty much that exact trip on a motorcycle that makes about 20hp more than the A, I've realized that it's just not the best idea right now. There are a lot of winding, two-lane roads with limited turnoffs that would cause me to slow down traffic considerably, as well as open stretches of highway where I don't think my roadster could keep up.

I still plan to go as a spectator/photographer and possibly pick up my flathead V8 while I'm down there.

That's part of it. The other part is that I started tearing down the car to get the chrome timing cover on there and the pulley changed.

First, I received a homemade pot from my friend and a fresh apricot from my neighbor. IMG_7744.jpg
    Then I removed the ancient rope seal.
    IMG_7779-1.jpg
    Mockin' it up.
    IMG_7781.jpg
    Seeing that it's been so long since I've dove in there, I forgot that I had to redo actually everything I did before. That meant removing the front U-bolts, jacking up the engine, taking off the old pulley and, unfortunately, dropping the pan to get this dang washer on there.
    IMG_7782.jpg I did all this minus the last step before Born Free. I'll do that when I'm back from Michigan (that's where I'm currently sitting).

24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Working on the car that day, something strange happened. I got frustrated. It was a Sunday afternoon, and I only had a little bit of time to dedicate to the project. I felt the pressure of the upcoming ride and the urgency to get the roadster finished before RPM. I had forgotten that it wasn't a simple as I thought it would be. I started bumping into things and making mistakes.

I packed up, cleaned up and went inside. Then, in my mind, something changed. This build should never be rushed. There will be other road trips and other shows, I told myself. This isn't a car that has to be perfect, but it also isn't something that should be slapped together. I have taken my time every step of the way, and there's no sense in turning this project into something it's not. I'm here to learn.

I'm letting you guys know this because I know you've all felt the same way at one point or another. So with RPM off the table, I'm really excited to take my time and finish the timing cover and do the brakes right. Also, I'm super excited to drop the frame off at di Falco's when I'm back from Michigan.

Oh, before I made the decision not to race, I did pick up a few things to pass tech. One of those things was a puke tank for the radiator. IMG_8067.jpg
    Era correct? Eh, not really. It's from 1964, but it ties back to my model car roots. I'll find a clean way to mount it and we'll see how it looks. The art reminds me of Revell's "Miss Deal," which is my favorite kit of all time.
    014.jpg

JalopyJimbo, Tim, Irish Mike and 8 others like this.
  25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! The Pink House is right off of Fulton at the corner of Cabrillo and 2nd.

Stogy, 97 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Nice pictures & sound thoughts. Time away can sometimes put things into perspective. I think your dad's question is something to consider.

I just hauled one of those Studebaker coupes to a friends house a couple of weeks ago. Pretty good shape but no engine. He has two one of each coupe model. Maybe he'll put his Chevy engine in this one and keep the Stude V8 in the other one. I have strong feelings about what engines other people should have in their cars. :eek: :D

J.Ukrop and Outback like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that ole rope seal laiden with asbestos...not trying to alarm just wondering...it would at the very least be good to know as one could be a little more careful in throwing it into a zip lok rather than the floor...or booting it at the wall after fighting it getting it out...

J.Ukrop likes this.
  28. 97

You should always listen to your Dad (parents)! :D:cool:

Although I suspect he neglected to add that once the California V8 roadster is done you could/should leave the banger roadster at his place for when you are at home! He could keep the engine warm for you!:rolleyes:

Tim, J.Ukrop, Outback and 6 others like this.
  29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This just in, Part I of the trip can be found here. I didn't do any of the filming or production work. Instead, I was just along to enjoy the ride. Next up, we'll have the story of how we got to the show.

It's a sunny Monday afternoon here in Michigan. I've been enjoying driving my Mom's truck, Daisy, around town. Every time I'm home, I pay a visit to my favorite house, which was built in 1965.
    IMG_8097.jpg
    Speaking of my Mom, it was her birthday the other day. My dad printed this shot of her driving the roadster in San Francisco. Talk about priceless!
    IMG_8100.jpg
    That's all for today. Hope everyone has a safe and relaxing Labor Day!

30. Nobey

Nobey

You're Mom's one cool lady Joey, I had a 64 Chevy pickup the same color my Grandmother bought new.
    One night my Wife and I were T boned in it from a guy running a stop sign. That was the end of my truck
    and I sure miss it. That photo is priceless, big hello to you family from the H.A.M.B......