Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What type of flathead fan mount?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Katuna, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I'm wanting to swap out the existing electric fan for a stock mechanical fan but I don't know what type of bracket I need. It has a Navarro intake with an Offy offset generator stand.

Appreciate any help guys.
    DSCN1172.JPG DSCN1173.JPG

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  2. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very fancy , nice. With out knowing what car its going in makes an answer difficult. An early car you may well run out of length room .is it a model A?

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was on an engine that had been used on a wind machine with a 12 ft prop for a number of years.
    It mounted on the stud that holds the generator bracket in place.

[​IMG]

The pulley on my 8 BA mounts the same way.

[​IMG]

stillrunners likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at it harder the fan mounts on a bracket that is held by that shiny bolt that is holding your generator bracket on.
    You may have a bit of can't get there from here with that setup. 48-50fan01.jpg

5. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

It's actually in a 30 Chevy but about the same amount of space. Went out and measured and there's right at 8" from the face of the radiator to the generator bracket.
    IMG_5300.JPG IMG_5301.JPG

6. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

That's what I'm thinking. Might need to get creative with pulleys and bracketry.

7. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

The generator looks like it's mounted too far forward, the stock fan bracket should work with the offset bracket. The generator normally runs off the back pulley and the fan off the front on the crank as shown on the bottom engine pictured by Mr48chev. Looks like you are running early heads and intake with late timing cover and pulley so don't know if the stock fan will work and adds several inches to the front of the engine.
    flathead_right_iso.jpg

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that your distributor's mount setup and the forward mounted generator knocked you out of running a mechanical fan. As model A Gomez showed the normal beltsetup is with the left side (from drivers seat) water pump and generator running on one belt while the right side pump and fan run on the other. With the modified water pump and generator moved forward to just run one belt plus that tab for the distributor in the way you are screwed as far as running a mechanical fan.
    shiny flathead (2)_LI.jpg

9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I think they make fan mounts for this purpose.

10. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I got to digging though my old pics to see if I had one of the motor when we brought it home.

Any idea if it would be kosher to run everything off of one belt? I thought I might be able to run the generator off of the rear pulley groove but it would foul on the driver side water pump pulley (unless I came up with some kind of idler pulley).

I have all the original fan assembly stored away somewhere. Didn't know if it would even work so haven't begun looking for it yet. IMG00021.JPG

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at the photos of your engine, does it have two crank pulleys or is that just an optical illusion?

That chrome on the generator bracket is so shiny that it mirrors the adjustment nut/bolt setup making it look like there is a real long nut setup on it.

You might be able to run a short belt just around the fan pulley off the front crank pulley. If he pulley is there. Offy does make a bracket Offenhauser 3499 1945-1948 Flathead Fan Carrier Bracket (speedwaymotors.com)

12. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Technically it's two pulleys pressed together as one.

That Offy bracket may work or I may just need to fab something myself. I guess it's time to go diving in my cabinets to see what I can come up with.

13. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Well, after a little digging I found the original fan setup. It's exactly the same as the diagram above. Now I understand why there is a long nut to tighten the bracket to the intake. That way you can get a box wrench on it around the two bolts that hold the fan carrier. The Offy offset bracket I have is the same thickness as the OG generator bracket. By that measurement, everything lines up with the front groove of the crank pulley AND the overall length including the fan blade is about 6-1/2". I have about 8" to the radiator so...Success! Just need to straighten one of the fan blades.

It's going to cost my left nut to chrome all this stuff but, I'm not using it anymore anyway. It will look so much better than the electric fan.

Thanks for all your help guys! IMG_5302.JPG IMG_5304.JPG

Nominal likes this.