Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New to me 55’ customline!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brandon141, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Brandon141

Brandon141

Just picked up a 55 Ford custom line! The car is totally stripped and I have all the parts in boxes! Does anyone know where I can get front fenders? Also a suggestion to front springs? It seems the wrong ones are in the car.

thanks- Brandon

2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

My first car was a 55 Customline. Long gone, so please post pictures to trigger memories...

3. Brandon141

Brandon141

Here she is. Also need to find a steering rack. A lot of work ahead of me!

Attached Files:

Kustomline54 and VANDENPLAS like this.

4. Good front fenders can be hard to find. You can use '55 or '56 fenders, there are minor differences but nothing that can't be addressed; primarily trim holes as that varied between years. They were notorious for rusting out in the lower corner behind the wheels and around the headlights if the owner didn't flush the wheel wells out when washing and few did.

You don't list a location; where you are will have a lot to do with how hard they'll be to find. You'll have the best luck finding them in a dry climate area.

stillrunners likes this.
  5. Buy a shop/ service manual best investment you’ll make to putting her back together.

start checking classifieds and swap meets for parts

6. What is the third character in the serial number? That indicates the assembly plant. If it's an A, that would tell you that it was built at the Atlanta plant and my father leaded the seams on it. I learned to drive on a '55 Ford Fairlane 4 door, 272 2 barrel and 3 on the tree. Still have the car, my parents bought it new, and it's my next project in the barn. The one thing you have to watch for that was a common problem on '54-'56 Fords is the front crossmember under the radiator that the front legs of the lower control arm attach to. Those are prone to rust out and often need replacement.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is also an illustration manual that will show you every part and number. It’s a big help when reassembly. No “how to” just the illustrations. D0D4B01F-44CD-4137-9F4F-33DEBF193AD5.jpeg
    99028A36-C0E0-4B86-A957-3A6057736480.jpeg

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  8. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Looks okay. Lots of work ahead. I'm watching...

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  9. Check your mailbox (envelope icon at top right of page). I sent you a PM. I speak fluent '55 Ford and would be happy to talk with you.

stillrunners and Kustomline54 like this.
  10. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Looking forward to seeing your progress. Have a 54 in the same boat! Id look at the classifieds here & on Facebook, theres groups for these cars.

Also join the 52-59 Ford group here. Tons of info and builds to refrence.

11. No you don't. You need a steering box .;)

12. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on where you’re going with the car, style, engine, etc. A lot of guys use Aerostar springs in those, it’s a long shot they might be in there. A quick search for Aerostar springs here will bring up a lot of info. If it’s still got the y block, they’re almost as heavy as an FE, and more than more modern Ford engines. Y blocks aren’t a cheap rebuild (and neither are FE’s) so it’s worth thinking ahead.

As someone who has a rack and pinion in my 55 bird, I’d agree a good steering box rebuild or replacement is a better idea. I wouldn’t do it again.

stillrunners likes this.