Register now to get rid of these ads!

History BARRIS facia should go to museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milton homan, Aug 29, 2021.

1. milton homan

milton homan

Surely the front of the Barris building in Hollywood should go in the Smithsonian, thoughts good people on Hambazonia....

2. milton homan

milton homan

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed...definitely oozing with history and nostalgia using it as a backdrop to some of his best works...Are they tearing it down or repurposing the building?

4. .................or at least the Petersen Museum.:)

5. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Oh my God is that still there! That has to be saved. That is every bit the icon that the Bonneville Salt Flats sign has..

In my old neighborhood there was this light pole in the middle of Arsonal Park. It had the names and what cars each guy drove written on it. They were listed as gangs the 1957 gang, the 1958 gang. Then the cars, 1940 Ford, Chevy 348 tri power-Sweeny hydro-4.11s...
    Some group of yuppys came along and painted over it.. I told them it was a very important piece of local automotive history. Pittsburgh was real big into cars in the 50s and 60s. Guys who worked in machine shops used to make the coolest parts..

6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Oh yeah needs to be saved , it just makes you smile.

7. I agree with Don. The Pete would be great place for it. It's big part of our Hot Rod history. I'm sure it will all be saved. But I just hope that it's not all split up, and sold on Flea Bay.:(

8. Whatever happens to it, there better be some bucks in it somewhere, or George will be spinning....

Tman, maneri, egads and 8 others like this.
  9. There's a certain moderator here with a museum...

10. ED397A30-16B4-4169-B06E-995D350EBDB7.jpeg 687FEF47-726C-4D5B-877D-CBB4313517E0.jpeg We had Sam the record msn with his huge neon sign that was taken down for the sake of development.
    Then reinstalled up the street as a testament to the Toronto music scene.

then the El Mocambo bar got sold and was gonna get torn down. Didn’t happen and it’s once again showcasing great music.
    ( heck Pierre Trudeau wife snuck out with the Rolling Stones for 3 days getting passed around like a bottle of whiskey!! It’s part of Canadian history o_O)

The Barris sign should live on a n some form, if not on the building then in a museum or something to keep the memory going.

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It's mostly bondo.

210superair, Just Gary, egads and 5 others like this.
  12. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

It's most likely going to the highest bidder. Probably one of those reality tv fools.

mgtstumpy, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  13. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man that sounds cool! Any photos of it around before it got ruined?

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Possibly the Peterson but there are millions of USA folk who don’t know and don’t care. If it went to the Smithsonian it would be cataloged, boxed and stored never to be seen again.
    To us it’s an icon, to many just junk. It will take $$$$ to remove carefully and preserve which I hope it is.

15. They are NOT closing they are moving. I would imagine they will take all the signage with them to the new location.

Deuces, VANDENPLAS, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  16. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

. . . cataloged, boxed and stored never to be seen again."

Or sold to uglify their beautiful old building.

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

No they just painted all over it. I was something that was always there. The day I went down there with a camera everything was painted over.. It was all written in lead pencil and the posts were made from this new alloy that just came out called aluminum, the company was just two miles away called Alcoa..
    The lead pencil wound never come out of the aluminum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    When we were kids, we used to swipe quarter sticks of Dynomite from the rail road, light them put them in the cannon and all this stuff would come flying out. One time a pistol came out with all the pop bottles and junk... The sound was so loud!! We would run right after because we knew the cops were on there way..

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    VANDENPLAS and Budget36 like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This ^^^
    I'd have to dig the article up but am pretty well positive that his daughter said the signs and all the actual Barris stuff is going to the new place. If the signs are removable that is. Looking at post 2 the actual Barris stuff appears to be fastened to the facia of the building with fasteners of some sort and can be removed in a couple of hours and probably has been taken down, repainted and put back up more than once over the years. The ribbed metal behind it is just part of the building.

It really does pay to go back and read the the interview article where she pretty clearly stated what her plans are. That rather than assume and have whining shit fit.

deucemac, Just Gary, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh, what article?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. There was another thread stating the family was selling this building and moving the entire collection someplace else.
    Hopefully the outside signage as well.

Deuces, egads and Stogy like this.
  21. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

22. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

One could get it on the National Historic Register however it would then be hard to sell.