Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects (Mostly) DB/Mopar Roadster Build or... Hodgepodge Dodge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rickybop, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Like this?
    [​IMG]

exterminator, alanp561 and Rickybop like this.
  2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Basically, yes. A little bit longer in the doors and body. Chopped top, lower seating position. Longer front frame rails to accommodate the big engine and parallel leaf springs.

Guy Patterson likes this.
  3. Another view dodgetuertle.jpg

1922 Dodge Turtle deck Roadster

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do like the shape of a Ford Model T turtle deck. And no rusty expensive unavailable quarter panels or decklid needed. Maybe a little easier than building a whole body. And rear wheel position won't be dictated by a wheel well.

I've been looking at this one. I need good metal. There's plenty enough to do... I don't wanna spend a lot of time doing rust repairs. It's in great condition. Spoke with the seller, got a good price. Going to get it Saturday. Only a 2-hour drive this time.

176392687_10224938869514074_250337375225293704_n (1).jpg

177495791_10224938869394071_7888649323459677551_n.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Greenblade, Squablow, brEad and 6 others like this.
  5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I run the same turtle deck as Ed.
    Er... um...
    Mr. Iskenderian.
    :D

Stogy likes this.
  6. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A possible idea for you, since this is a Dodge ( MOPAR ) build that is under slung, saw it at the CHRR at FAMOSO a few years back.

IMG_3004 (2).JPG IMG_3003 (2).JPG

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that's underslung.
    "Nothing under the frame rails."
    ... as is sometimes said.
    Thanks, @41 GMC K-18
    I've seen a couple cars with that type of suspension. I think I'd like more ground clearance.
    I do live in Michigan. LOL
    And I don't envision this car as being quite so refined as that.
    A more aggressive stance and persona.
    Badass.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  8. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

If you can try to mold the turtle deck into the body like the chrysler has done as it looks nice an streamlined

Stogy and Rickybop like this.
  9. twenty8

twenty8

Looks fantastic..............until something in the suspension breaks. Then life gets very interesting very quickly...:eek::eek::eek:

10. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Sorry a different thought is yes on a chop on the top

Rickybop likes this.
  11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know what I like, but I'm open to all ideas. I know some of you guys are gonna come up with stuff I hadn't even thought of or simply didn't know.
    And I'm a good student. :D

Greenblade and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks very much,
    @HJmaniac
    Looks like a good thread for me.
    Maybe I'll be talking with Jack.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is fun. LOL

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Although... I also fully expect untold moments of complete frustration. :rolleyes: :D

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  15. Rickybop likes this.
  16. jaxx

jaxx

love it - good start - keep it going - mopar or no car!- I built my own body for my RPU - scaled off a 22 and 25 dodge - built my own frame and pickup bed - I could not find any donner parts any were around where I lived at the time I started so I just built my own - still working on it a little at a time - got stop by cancer and the treatment - getting better now so I have been back on it a little at a time - pixs un my profile page - jaxx

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked at your roadster, @jaxx
    Wow, all handmade. Makes what I'm doing seem like snap together.

Edit:
    @jaxx
    I forgot to say...
    I'm very glad to hear that you managed to get through some tough times. I've had a couple life glitches myself. You're an inspiration to me. And also the rest of you who have fought against adversity of all kinds and have come back to continue doing what you need to do and what you want to do. If you guys can do that, then I'm not going to allow much of anything to get the best of me. Not yet, anyway. God bless us all.
    Live it up!!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  18. twenty8

twenty8

Hey @Rickybop , this would look good with a turtle deck. Is this what you are thinking........:cool:

No turtle deck if it was mine. I like them with their ass hangin' in the wind............:D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Could go w/a Dana 60 out of an early 60's Dodge pu. Should be cheap. Although if you don't want the 8bolt wheels, discs will get rid of those + unload a lot of weight from the drums, & could keep the axle tube from sticking thru the wheels(depending on the adapters you use - iirc). Might be more work than you want, but they do clean up nicely & can be trimmed around the pumpkin.
    Marcus...
    BTW, did you forget the rest of the lyrics in p#20? :D .

osage orange and Rickybop like this.
  20. noboD

noboD

I know it's a little early in the build, but I think the rubber seals I make for the base of the windshield posts will fit your car. I make rubber parts for Dodge Brothers cars. If interested give me a PM. You could fit them and send them back if they don't work.

brEad and Rickybop like this.
  21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@twenty8
    Cool Mopar Roadster.
    The best would be to have a complete roadster body. But a turtle deck has a certain personality of its own. If I can get the proportions right, I'll be happy with it.
    Any roadster with a polished quick change deserves to have it ass hanging in the wind.

@nrgwizard a Dana would definitely work. I actually forgot about those. I think a smooth 8 3/4 would look better, but I'll take another look at the Dana.

@noboD !!! That's awesome! Thank you! My stanchion rubbers are hard as a rock LOL. I didn't know for sure, but I suspected I was going to have to make them. But you do. Never too early for planning ahead. I won't forget. You'll hear from me.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The grill is so important. I think maybe it'll be one of the more expensive items, cuz I really want a nice chrome '33/'34 Dodge. Absolute best would be 1933 Chrysler, but pretty hard to find.

41 GMC K-18 and Guy Patterson like this.
  23. Sorry to take so long to get back, this is what I was referring to. HRP

[​IMG]

24. 1920's Graham Brothers Truck Grill Shell. 1927,1928,1929,1930
    I thinks reveals would be a nice match to the reveals on the cowl.

1920's Graham Brothers Truck Grill Shell. 1927,1928,1929,1930 | eBay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greenblade, Squablow, brEad and 6 others like this.
  25. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

I would go with the 1924 -28 radiator shell 1019329788_s-l1600(12).jpg.4828bd9508a46d87e51f1488f8eb9217.jpg

26. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Like the 29 roadster, I know the focus was on the cowl & pleasing body reveals but couldn't help notice the nearly obscure cycle type fenders.... ad a bit of creative air brush tread design paint work & they would totally vanish from sight...

27. jaxx

jaxx

Thanks Rickybob - I've made a little more progress on it lately - I'll get some new pics and post them - no your rod is not snap together - I wish I had as many good parts to start with as you do - can't wait to watch your progress - I will follow you - jaxx

28. twenty8

twenty8

The roadster in the Youtube video is an Aussie car, from Queensland. Check the licence plate. Out here we have to run cycle fenders (or cycleguards as we call them) on fenderless cars to get registration. I have seen some with the fake tread pattern on them and they look really wierd. Even saw a set made from actual tyre carcasses, which was not a good idea. If you have to run them, they look best when fully finished to the standard of the rest of the build. Wear them proud...........:D

brEad and Rickybop like this.