Register now to get rid of these ads!

CALLING ALL HIPPY GEEZERS FROM THE 60'S

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by 41 GMC K-18, Mar 1, 2021.

1. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Lookin pretty Rockstar there Wray!

2. Damn...too late to photoshop that out. Decorative only.:)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  3. LOL.....couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket.

4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've posted this pic before

1970, pot smoking, beer drinking, long haired hippy hotrodjack with a loud obnoxious hot rod...I pretty much "checked all the boxes" for the local cops;)
    48.jpg

5. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Mitch:). WOW, what an improvement. Once again you've cleaned up one of my "messes"

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  7. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Glad you like it, Jack. Both Walgreens and a site called Snapfish print 4x4
    photos, which is slightly larger than the old Instamatic shots. That's probably
    a good thing, otherwise I'd go nuts printing all these old school square photos.

8. Cool photo Danny, my wife had almost the same mini dress! I loved the 70's 260.jpg

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

I was 21 when I got out of the Army in August 1968. lived in NJ near NYC , the hippies seemed more hard core rip offs than the west coast version..I never trusted any of them...I had long hair and smoked weed and was drag racing my 69 Super B.

LAROKE, 41 GMC K-18, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  10. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

All was not peace and love in '67. I think many halfwits got into the hippie
    thing as a way to get out of their basement bedroom and into some sort
    of group. I remember one particular weasel. He wasn't a halfwit, he was
    a cheating, backstabbing, conniving snake. Fortunately, I learned quickly
    with him. Then there were the ones that were so peace-love-hippie that
    they took a lot of grief and were taken advantage of. I'm lucky to have
    more than enough good memories of '67 & '68 that the bad ones barely
    come to mind. Music always helped...debut recordings by the Airplane,
    Dead, Moby Grape, Country Joe & The Fish,, Buffalo Springfield, The
    Doors and Cream.

11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All great choices of bands and music from that time period ! Music is " Good Medicine "

Ron Funkhouser, Deuces and quick85 like this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

61 and feelin' like it....:(
    What I'd give to be 16 again....:rolleyes:

13. noboD

noboD

For what it's worth.

14. Deuces

Deuces

Buffalo Springfield... Great song!....;)

Ron Funkhouser and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  15. Lil32

Lil32

72y/o
    '69 was a time to register for National Service call up and hope
    you did not go to Vietnam as a conscript,lucky my birthday did not come up
    in draw.I was working in a northern town where all the Vet conscripts were training
    they were wild and angry.I often wonder how many returned

16. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

61? C'mon man, that's nothing. There was a time when 61 would have
    made you a geezer, not any more. At 61 you can still bang gears, dig
    Ted Nugent and consider many 60 year old (+) women attractive. Don't
    think about your age and it won't get you down. Look in the mirror and
    think "Hey, I look pretty good".

17. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I got a high draft lottery number (264) in '69 and I thanked my lucky stars.
    Also got a sigh of relief from my old man and my uncle, both staunch military
    supporters and veterans. For a while my future was not looking good, being
    classified 1-A. I do wonder on occasion how the Army and I would've gotten along.

18. :eek:

19. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I think I was at Woodstock!:confused:

20. 4ty

4ty

My wife was with four girlfriends, two later became Nuns.......................

Paul in CT

Ron Funkhouser and Lil32 like this.
  21. The mid to late 60's was a turbulent time in the U.S. Anyone who protested the Viet Nam war was considered a hippy/commie pinko. Guys my age were worried about the draft, unless you were a full time college student (a lot of people considered that favoritism for the 'entitled class'). 'Nam vets got booed and spit upon when they returned to the states. Bad scene!
    I was fortunate to get into the Army Reserve (a medical unit) which pleased my Dad (a WW II vet), and my unit had a low probability of activation, but during annual training we served at Army hospitals and witnessed the wounded casualties firsthand. During my basic training period, the Army lowered requirements for the draft in an attempt to grow troop strength by 100K ground pounders. Those poor bastards... we knew a lot of them would never make it.
    I was young and having fun, but looking back, that time period was not "the good old days".
    Thanks to all who wore a uniform during those troubled times. So sorry you had to be a pawn in a giant chess game. For those who gave all (either in combat or later due to combat injuries, mental health issues, or Agent Orange), you have my humble appreciation and respect. R.I.P.

22. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting posts here no doubt ! My draft number was #46 and I wasn't going to take a chance of being drafted and potentially going to Viet Nam. So I did the extra year in the Army, as a dental lab tech and got stationed in Fort Sill Oklahoma. I have no regrets about my time in the Army Medical unit, I was very thankful that I didn't have go overseas as so many did. As soon as I got out of the military back in 75, I quickly grew my hair long again and started enjoying all of the normal things that life has to offer !

A glimpse of before and after, and now, amazing how time moves so quickly ! I am truly amazed that I have reached the age of 68 years old !

Thanks for all of the interesting posts and great responses so far !

Fort Sill 1973 (2).JPG
    me looking like jim morrison.JPG me in 2021.jpg

23. Good stuff and some cool pics on the wall behind you
    I missed the war by about a year. I turned 18 in 76. I believe the draft ended a few years earlier. I would of probably joined the Marines if drafted because that is what my father did. Kind of ironic that he didn’t think highly of the idea and wanted me to go to college.
    Most of the older guys around me served and the stories they told were amazing. Crazy high jinks from the guys in the supply chain to horror stories from the field. I looked up to those guys and what they went through.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  24. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, the drawings you see on the wall are some of my pen and ink artwork. In regards to the word
    " high jinks " as it pertained to my days in the Army Dental Detachment there at Fort Sill, I will reveal this to you ! If you want to know where some of your hard earned tax dollars went, consider the hundreds of pairs of hemostats that were liberated from the medical supply closet, to be repurposed as a device to secure insects, also known as " roaches " !

Some of the other tax dollars were spent on Jet -A fuel for the Helicopters that were being flown, so the pilots could keep current on their flight hours, I have some great memories of when my girlfriend and I would fly with some of the greatest and most craziest Army Helicopter pilots that you can imagine !

Suffice it to say, there were a lot of farms and ranches outside of Lawton Oklahoma, whose chickens and farm critters got a front row seat, to some amazing flying, that pushed the envelope, there was a valid reason that those Helicopters were painted Olive Drab green and the small numbers that identified them were in black !

" Screaming Helicopter Cowboys " we referred to them back then, ya gotta love em ! But that being said, now at age 68, and me knowing a lot more about how Helicopters function, I don't fly on commercial airlines anymore and I am skeptical about trains as well, and as much fun as I had in Bell Jet rangers and Chinooks, I don't fly in Helicopters anymore as well !

The " MM Universal " is one of my designs too!

screamer (2).JPG M M (2).jpg

25. khead47

khead47

I sorta remember lava lamps, black light posters, mood rings, and the big bamboo paper in the album.

26. LAROKE

LAROKE

Those mood rings worked. My gal's was blue when she was serene and when she was upset, it put a red mark in the middle of my forehead!

27. 4ty

4ty

Still have a Lava Lamp in the bed room......................
    Paul in CT

28. khead47

khead47

good one laroke !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. My favorite record Album cover. [​IMG]

steveareno, das858, echo ed and 5 others like this.
  30. noboD

noboD

I still have that on vinyl.