Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects First attempt at a custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by lo c dan, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Is there an East coast and west coast style custom? I'm starting with a '50 with '51 sheet metal Tudor Shoebox. . Chopped 5' in the rear and 4" in the front so not a radical chop. ."B" pillars tipped forward. .I don't want to get it wrong and make it too personalized. . Any pix and pointers form custom guys welcome. .

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and Big mike 1968 like this.
  2. greybeard360

greybeard360

3. beatcad

beatcad

i assumed when you said 50/51 it was a shoebox(49-51) ford or merc
    the top chop you're talking about is a perfect tratitional chop..not really east or west coast.
    the stance lowered in the rear(tail dragger) was more west coast 50s/60s..
    the last 25 or 30 years with hydrolics and now airbags the stance is pretty much the same everywhere.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. IMG_8287.jpg Never thought I'd be a custom guy, but I liked what I saw as a beginning and it had a story which has a lot of influence when I start something. . Before Pix

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shoebox = 49/51 Ford car. I never heard anyone call anything else a shoebox until I was over 60 years old and then it was some mouthbreather calling a 55 Chevy a shoebox.

I like your keep it simple with well thought out modifications concept. The best looking shoebox customs that I have seen have always been the simple ones that the builder didn't get caught up in the more radical than the other guy race.

6. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

For first time I think you nailed it.

jimmy six likes this.
  7. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

8. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

9. jim snow

jim snow

X2 on what others have said. I think you nailed it.jmho. Snowman

10. Squablow

Squablow

Looks real good, dig those Olds caps too. What are the plans for the rest of it? Any side moldings? I'd like to see where this one goes, I love it so far.

11. Im digging it

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  12. Rand Man

Rand Man

Keep up the good work.

13. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Body work is fun and to me relaxing. My dad taught me how to do it an now am glad he took the time and showed patients

14. To me its like pouring concrete . . should have left it alone earlier hahaha

Big mike 1968, Jrs50, drdave and 2 others like this.
  15. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I always felt that the tudor Ford, such as yours look like a 4 door with the rear doors welded up, so what you are accomplishing is very good and going in the right direction. Now what about taking 3 to 4 inches out of the middle and calling up Valley Custom for any pointers.

16. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

how about some 55/6 Olds front fender headlight surrounds?

Attached Files:

17. But then wouldn't be a Business Coupe?

18. hudson48

hudson48

Nice work.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  19. 40's and Mid 50's on the West Coast skirts were in, after 53/54 if you ran skirts it was cause to kick your ass for being so lame, where I lived in So Cal. because the Rake was in and no skirts were the in thing. So to boil it down ,in the Mid 50's lowered in back and skirts East Coast look, Late 50's Rake and no skirts West Coast look.
    Now days there is no difference in the east and west looks. Hot Rods is a different story, East Coast cars were channeled real low, West Coast cars were not, and just lowered with dropped axles. I live in So Cal and was there in the 40's 50's so I'm sure about it. JW

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  20. 50's Desoto teeth and ? ends.

21. That's the Bob Lund Mercury. '51 Frazer horizontal bars and '51 Desoto teeth. Dan Landons Chevy had the same set up.
    Dan-landons-1949-chevrolet-3 (1).jpg

22. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

That, my friend, looks really good... I believe the tudor makes a better looking chop than the coupes. (I'm biased, I had one a lot like it)
    As far as "get it wrong", that's like beauty and art, it's in the eyes of the beholder. Customs are not what "the other guys did", it's improving the style to your taste... not theirs. You obviously have a good eye for design, so trust it, don't get carried away and know when to stop. You'll end up with a car worth falling in love with.
    I miss my '49, it was one of the most fun cars I ever built!

23. Torchie

Torchie

There are differences in East coast vs West coast customs.
    As has been stated, some were due to local driving conditions as well as weather consideration.
    Hop over to the Custom Car Chronicle site and ask Rik about the differences. He will be able to enlighten you.
    Yours is looking good so far. Not too heavy a chop. IMHO.
    Next to 49-51 Mercs the Ford shoe box has to be one of the most customised car made.
    Rather then East coast vs West coast i would try to find a build period that you like. Trends changed as time went on. Skirts/no skirts. Spotlights/no spotlight. Speed boat stance/ more of a level stance.
    The list can be long.
    Im currently running the same wheel covers on my 49 Dodge Coronet custom. I plan on going to something a little newer as my build period is 1953-56....ish.
    Just remember. It's your car. Do to it what please you.
    Keep at it.
    Torchie

24. MitFab

MitFab
    from Austin, TX

Looking great!

25. banditomerc

banditomerc

There is lots of potential in that ford..you are on the right track..just dont put a air scoop on hood,or a big wing on the trunk.
    Make sure nose in the air and ass on the ground.

26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

56 Olds headlights are a plus for me and many of the early 50’s customs of any brand. Many added a sunken antenna in the right rear fender which are basic also.

This may not meet with some custom lovers but see them as needing to be smooth. A 50’s Merc grill surround a plus obviously and the grille needs to float and not be too busy. I’d have the antenna under the right door mounted on the frame. Rounded hood ends, your tail lights are perfect. I feel a smooth trunk with no plate and it integrated into the rear bumper. Now for my personal choice. No dummy spots. They just ruin the flow for me.. I do like skirts. And last a level ride height.

Love following what you are doing and keep it up.

27. 6sally6

6sally6

I'm more parcel to a little higher in the rear because.......it's been tubbed out so the Big Mickeys can fit in!
    No daylight between the top of the wheels and the edge of the fender.
    6sally6

28. indyjps

indyjps

Make it flow, smooth and clean and it will be timeless. Choose what's right to your eye, not what someone else has done.

Lot of customs end up the same: this car, with these headlights and tailights, with this grill. It's just a rehash.

Careful on referencing past show cars, as the show circuit started providing points per modification a lot of cars ended up with random changes that didn't always enhance the car.

Decide if you're going to pay to have bumpers rechromed. If yes. Tuck them in tight, it's not always traditional but makes a clean ride that's your own.

lo c dan and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Knifemkr

Knifemkr

nice and clean look. Looks like a fun project!