Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1950s custom wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cool57, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Hello HAMBers, I haven’t been on the HAMB in forever..I am back with a question.
    Were there any custom wheels available in the late ‘50s? I know wheel-cover swaps and mods were very popular, but did parts stores or catalogs offer custom wheels? I am talking pre-Cragar 5-spoke. Thanks!

2. alchemy

alchemy

Halibrand was first in the mid 50’s. Then Palamedes which turned into American came next.

cool57 likes this.
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Probably just chrome wheels standard offset and reversed. No aftermarket mags widely sold that I know of besides Palamides/American Racing.

cool57 likes this.
  4. birdman1

birdman1

First Radars in 1962 or so.before that, moon racing disc, olds or caddy full wheel hubcaps on ford's and Chevys. Don't forget Mexican chromes, ( silver painted stock wheels)

hotrodjack33 and cool57 like this.

5. Halibrand and Palamedes…Those would have been more “racy” than “kustom” correct? I should have mentioned I want to put wheels on a 59 Galaxie that would have been the choice of a mild customizer (drive-in cruiser) circa 57-62

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Mild customs in that era ran either wheel covers (Lancers, Fiestas, Caddys etc) or chromed reverse wheels period. there were no other choices. Get out some old magazines and look

egads, X38 and cool57 like this.
  7. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Have always liked chromed reverse with baby moons on cars of that era.

fairlane-500-skyliner-convertible-4spd-automatic-ac-4whl-disc-brakes-stunning-7.jpg

cool57 likes this.
  8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even in the mid/late 60s, custom wheel choices were limited.
    Circa 1969/70, 6 lug "mexican chromies" on the front, 5 lug Radars on the rear...and my high school girlfriend just for sex appeal;)
    48a.jpg

catdad49, Joe Blow and cool57 like this.
  9. Chrome 'true' reversed wheels on the rear, chrome wheels on the front. No baby moons. Chrome lug nuts. Done deal.

10. Thanks to everyone

warhorseracing likes this.