Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magneto Sytle distributor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockher_man, Jan 21, 2011.

1. rockher_man

rockher_man

I ran across this the other day on fleebay...I know...I know...:eek:...

Pro Billet Ready to Drive HEI - Magneto Sytle distributor

..."The Pro Billet Ready to Drive HEI - Magneto Sytle distributor is the perfect upgrade
    for outdated points distributors or bulky HEI's."

"All that is required is to install the distributor in the engine, and provide
    12v's and Earth!
    The increased output of the amplifier easily outperforms stock ignitions;

-Smoothing out the engine's idle improve starting and provide a much higher rpm range.

-For positive street performance, the Ready-to-Run is the best choice."

ALL that is from the ad...seller has like 65,000+ sales with a 98%+
    rating...so I thought I would take a look just for nostalgia sake...

The thing thats got me is the "Magneto Sytle distributor" part...:confused:...???...

Kinda kool...would this work on a "street" type '70 302-based stroker motor?

Sort of a "tall" unit...worried about my tri power air cleaner...I dunno...

Waiting for a reply back from the seller...just thought I'd get a headstart on gathering info...

I figured for $199.99...might be worth a look...wadaya think???...

-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. bobscogin

bobscogin

Perhaps I've overlooked it, but I really don't see what advantage it offers over any other electronic distributor.

Bob

3. Gator

Gator

I think if you want a fake magneto, go for it...

4. Its an electronic ignition made to look like a magneto. I guess if you want the look of a magneto and the convenience of electronic its a good deal.

I don't know the seller or the quality of the part or even how many RPMs it will support but the price is comparable to other electronic ingnitions. If it isn't junk its probably a good enough deal.

5. rockher_man

rockher_man

Well...I don't necessarily think it has any distinct advantages…I cant say
    right now...

...and I’m not too sure about runnin’ a magneto on a street motor with all
    that may be involved with that…what with grounding switches for shut
    down & such...from what I've been told...still learnin'...

…but...it does have the nostalgia part covered...I just wish I could find a
    little MORE information on this part...or at least get a reply from one of
    the sellers!

Doin' an internet search didn't help ME too much...got a baZillion hits...

...mostly AD's JUSt like that one...SAME wording which leads me to believe
    there is a little cut-and-paste goin' on...

Not sure if the "Pro Comp" wording in the AD is supposed to be in
    reference to some sort of hi-performance...OR "that" Pro Comp...:rolleyes:...

Here is a bit from the AD I forgot;

Procomp Pro Billet feture a distributor housing machined from billet aluminum.<O:p</O:p

Procomp uses Computerised Numerical Controlled (CNC) mills and lathes to create each housing.

Sounds more like reference to a company name than anything else to me...ah screw it...here is the AD...see if I missed anything!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4712.m2000054&item=330423674565&viewitem=

-

6. I think that Pro Comp is the company that makes it. Leme do a quick parts search for ya.

Pro Comp is a performance parts company. They should have a site that lsist their products.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  7. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

I can't vouch for the following info, but it would scare me.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-61599.html
    About halfway down on this website IGNITIONMAN makes the following post:

<22nd-April-2007, 02:22 PM
    If you people are going to quote me, or repeat what I have written previously, do it right, not mess it all up. These are NOT just opinions, they are facts gleaned from many years of being in the ignition system business, and fixing other's products when they failed.

For the record, yet again, MSD products, for the most part, are the top notch stuff in the industry, I recommend them heartily, fully and without reservation, with the exception of:

RED Blaster II coils made in Mexico, layer shorting issues

Ready to Quit distributors, very poor quality modules, require complete distributor disassembly and unsolder/re-solder to replace the modules, which are only available, for very high price, from MSD, NOT an HEI

Large HEI replacement modules, you can do the same for less money with a NAPA TP45 or even a Wells DM100, and get a lifetime guarantee to boot, If you have one of these MSD modules, fear not, the stocker types mentioned will go back in place when this one dies

All coil in cap HEI coils, NO MATTER THE MANUFACTURER, DO NOT stay at the over hype advertised voltage output when the distributor gets to operating temperature, NONE

Mallory HEI is made in China, by Pro-Form, and is good quality, same as Pro-Form HEI, priced higher than a Pro-Form. Pro-Form manufactures all the Chevrolet ZZ series and crate engine, and Delphi (Delco) HEI's. Mallory in cap HEI COIL is made in Mexico or Canada, and cause problems regularly, as in module failures.

For the most part, Mallory has gone through a real sad time in their existence. They went through a bunch of new owners in a very short time period a few years ago, and have tried to come out of it better, and for the most part, have, to a small level. Their parts are nothing better than anyone else, and they are very overpriced for what they really are. Mallory magnetic breaker-less systems are junk, fail rather often, but, Taylor-Vertex uses them in the $600.00 Magneto Look-Alike distributors. These distributors have a 65 percent module failure rate, and I know of more than a few vendors that simply will not sell them, because they have failure rates just out of hand.

PRO-COMP IS TOTAL JUNK, Pro-Comp wrongfully/misleadingly says they are made in Australia, but is actually made in China, in the very factory no decent manufacturer/vendor will use. These are the $48.00 to $100.00 HEI's sold on E-bay and other sources, avoid like the plague. Electronics are very sub-standard, very low quality, and upper bushing lubrication is incomplete, needs modification. Pro-Comp has been sued by reputable manufacturers like MSD, AND HAVE LOST EVERY SUIT, but they continue to vend their bogus parts to any unsuspecting buyer that gets sucked into them

Accel products are now all made in Taiwan, and are suspect. When the coils went to Taiwan first, 5 years ago, they began to work in-consistently, and caused many performance issues.

PerTronix large coil in cap HEi's are Pro-Form, once again, same quality and setup as many other Pro-Form products, over priced from a Pro-form HEI

The BEST round, oil filled coils, and stock type epoxy filled coil in cap HEI coils, are made by Andover Electronics, in one of their two factories, one in Andover, Indiana, the other in Northern Mexico. Andover's Mexico factory is NOT the one MSD RED Blaster II coils are made in. Andover used to make ALL the after market performance coils, but greedy manufacturers moved production for some all over the world, and reduced Andover's quality to real junk for the most party.

Good oil filled round coils:

Black:
    NAPA IC12
    CarQuest 26189
    Both these coils are made in Andover's Mexico facilty

Chrome:
    MSD 8200 Blaster II ONLY
    Summit SUM-G5215
    Both these coils are made on the same line at Andover, Indiana

So, next time one of you decides to mis-quote me, you will all have this info to fall back on.

Moderator, leave your grubby little hands off this post.

Dave: you have to follow the rules. That means no Vendor Bashing. Edit your post with less harsh language or I will ~Paul Wright>

8. Too bad that a bunch of IGNITIONMAN's information is wrong!

For instance, PerTronix HEI distributors are NOT the same as or made by Pro Comp, although we have bought some housings from them in the past. All of the electronics are our own, made in the USA.

Taylor Vertex does NOT use Mallory electronics in their MAG lookalikes, at least not exclusively.

Andover Coils do not have the highest survival rate of coils in the industry.

So take his rant with a grain of salt.

If I were to run a Mag Look distributor, I would use a Taylor Vertex or a Joe Hunt.

9. rockher_man

rockher_man

WOW...I'm gonna have to look into that claim about Pertronix a little MORE...:eek:...

...No WONDER neither seller got back to me!

WOW...I cannot beleive ALL the damn time I spent tryin' to dig-up
    ANYTHING on this stupid part...only to come up with squat...:eek:...

Nice work!!!...THANKX...and that info dates back to 2007...hhhmmmmmmm....then
    it most likely IS the same Pro Comp making
    those basement-bargain cylinder heads I keep hearin' everyone bitchin'
    about to stay from due to the lousy castings...

HOLD UP...got a reply while typing...check it out...

Dear procompoverstock,

What EXACTLY is this part? I mean...I get it...kinda...BUT...IS it a magneto OR a distributor that LOOKS LIKE a mag?

I'll admit...it's a kickass peice!

Seriously...who makes this thing?!

Any reason I need to be concerned using it in a '70 302 based stroker?

Thanks...
    -rockher_man

<O:p</O:p
    Dear rockher_man,

It's a look a like mag. It just needs switched 12v and then has a wire for a tachometer.
    Procomp Motorsport makes it. No reasons that I can think of...

- procompoverstock

NICE....Onward & Upward...thanks everyone...I'm gonna have to publish
    this stuff...almost made a BIG mistake!...you guys ROCK...:cool:...

-

10. I work for PerTronix, what would you like to know?

11. rockher_man

rockher_man

Uuuhhhhh....I'm just curious what that dude meant by;

"PerTronix large coil in cap HEi's are Pro-Form, once again, same quality
    and setup as many other Pro-Form products, over priced from a Pro-form HEI"

Thats all...diggin' thru some paperwork back from day-1..."The Plan"...I
    ran accross a list I made that clearly spells out that I wanted to
    use a Pertronix Ignitor ignition unit, Flamthrower coil and add an MSD 6AL
    ignition box...

AND...while I was diggin' through my piles-O-stuff I ran across a book I
    picked up a way back...

...I got it at a book sale at a City Library for ONE DOLLAR!...:D...it still has
    the worksheets in the envelope attached to the inside back cover...

I had forgotten ALL about it...

"The Doctor's Guide to Optimizing Your Ignition"
    by Christopher A. Jacobs. Ph.D., E.E

Looks like I need to re-read this book...:cool:...

Soooooo....I guess I'm moovin' on....just temporarily dazzaled by a
    flashy advertizment...

-

12. The only three things you need to know about the distributor in question:

1) It's more than likely a hunk of junk.
    2) It doesn't look like a magneto.
    3) You won't fool anyone with it.

13. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

There are millions of GM HEIs on the road. Very dependable. I went to the local chevy dealer and bought one. My stuff goes down the road, and if it did break down, a trip to any local part store gets you a module or whatever.I know they arent the prettiest, and dont look that good on am early era car, but if you really drive em, forget the aftermarket stuff. Nothing against MSD, I run a 7531 digital box and coil in our nitrous big block race car. Works perfect, supports 1600 hp.

14. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

as previously stated - get a Taylor Vertex or a Joe Hunt - both look just like the original Vertex mag, but are HEI guts. I had one and it worked perfectly and looked just delightful hiding back there behind a couple of four barrels. Do NOT hook them up incorrectly. Follow instructions implicitly or you will be sending it back for a $100 repair.

dj

15. erlomd

erlomd

16. GTX469

GTX469

How do you wire these? is the black wire for tach and the case is the ground??

17. GTX469

GTX469

how do you wire a tach to it, theres only 2 wires???

18. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

What's a "Sytle"?

19. ^^^ Something other than authintic or genuwine.

20. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Taylor Vortex distributor and it has been trouble free for over 14 years and 8,500 miles. It is in a 270 Dodge Hemi.