Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical did chassis engineering ever make a rhd saginaw 800 pas mount for 35 - 40

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobby, Aug 25, 2021.

1. nobby

nobby

2. nobby

nobby

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

if i have a rhd jeep cherokee box, i take it its 1985 and upo - metric, is the bolt pattern different?

what is the part number on a 73-76 cutlass pitman arm?
    I gather that is Oldsmobile?
    I think that is what I have 73 olds

p.s.. I am trying to guage the distances from the frame rails to the holes....

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  3. oldsman41

oldsman41

Cutlass is olds and I’ve never seen that adapter till now

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Easy enough to make a mirror image version.

mgtstumpy, 40ragtopdown and Mr48chev like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with FiftyV8. Use the info you see in those photos and that diagram and fab your own to fit.
    Chassis engineering inc. Closed and then sold to Heidt's a few years back after the owner passed away. They make a number of the products he made but not the full line of items.
    73/77 Cutlass, Chevelle, ElCamino, Buick Regal and the Pontiac Lemans all use the same center links. The pitman arm from any should work. As it doesn't have a wear part there are no aftermarket units.

The jeep box should work if it is readily available in the UK.
    The stock pitman arm that comes with a box off a Wrangler should work for the swap.
    Otherwise I would be looking for a readily available in the UK steering box that is strong enough and fits in the space that works for cross steer and fab the bracket accordingly.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  6. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

They made a mount similar to this one that could use a variety of different saganaw steering boxes. It mounted to your stock ford steering box bracket. All you would have to do is put the bungs on the opposite side of the plate to use it for right hand drive. 20190505_130055.jpg 20190424_201342.jpg 20190424_200333.jpg

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a weld on and the one on Ebay is a bolt on. Nobby is going to have to fab one at any rate.
    One thing to ease Nobby's mind. Those boxes work the same
    If the pitman arm goes forward it is for a rear steer setup with the steering box behind the axle line.

If it the pitman arm goes towards the rear it is setup for a front steering setup with the box place in front of the axle line.

You put the pitman arm on according to where you mount the steering box in front of or behind the axle it points a the axle.

Right or Left hand steering doesn't make any difference as the pitman arm will move the wheels the same be it left or right you are just pushing and pulling on the opposite spindle.

8. Yep - I have a similar plate that came on my 1959 Chevy sedan delivery with the later power steering box.

9. Why not order the 525 box mount from Weedetr; possible he could ship the components un-welded and you can weld them together as a R/H mount.

Have you checked the ratio of that Jeep box; I have one (supposedly from a Jeep) I picked up somewhere and it is super fast.

X38 likes this.
  10. nobby

nobby

[​IMG]
    I have a new box and pitman arm, 71 olds
    want to get a bolt in one and then have the chance to move it about - especially when the spring settles.
    might be able to get a double uj in there too - might need a longer pitman .
    was hoping somone may have one fitted and do some measurements,
    I have done one before and used the stock solid drag link nibbled down a bit
    but I think its too low now as the spring settled a LOT

[​IMG]
    hoping to get one of them in - or don't want to spend $$$ and it not reach
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this works with that box and pitman with a 31.25'' inner column and a 39 curved banjo in a 37 pickup - are car and pickup cowls different? - or the dash mount points for column - hmmm

i have a 40 wheel and a 40 column that is 30'' long....
    double joint is 1.5'' longer
    buy the joint 30 spline 3/4 to 36 spline 3/4 - slight offset to reduce by 1/4'' and it will be the same as the 37
    IF you have to find a 11/16-18 sae died nut and thread the solid drag link 15mm so be it!!

Borgeson 143431

the bolts are 7/16 - 14 or unc
    7/16 is 11.11mm
    SO you want a 12mm bore, go for a tube at 20mm rather than 25 that matches the box casting as you will have more chance of positioning the box and the doofer missing the rails, - plus you will mount it on the four points instead of the 3

hmm

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021