Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Are these Ladder Bars mounted upside-down?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moedog07, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Moedog07

Moedog07

I am looking at buying an abandoned '27 roadster project. It's a few hours away from me and I am studying the photos I received before making the drive.

My question is if the ladder bars are welded on the wrong side of the axle? Seems like the mount should hang down from the axle and not go above it. Let me know if I am looking at this all wrong.

Also should the bars have mounting tabs lower that the frame and not through it?

Screenshot_20210824-225742_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210824-225712_Facebook.jpg

2. Deuces

Deuces

:confused: .......Yep!

chevy57dude, lo c dan and fauj like this.
  3. Looks like they may have done that so they didn't have to have a dropped front bar mount. It may play havoc with the rear suspension geometry and handling.

Deuces likes this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like he was trying to tuck everything out of the way. And maybe out of sight.

I'm not defending the design. Just asking. Will this not actually work?

stillrunners, Just Gary and Deuces like this.

5. Mimilan

Mimilan

Nope!
    A ladder bar [2-link suspension] is an "imaginary straight line" between the axle centreline and the front pivot point.
    It has the front pivots in an extreme "anti-squat" position.

I would be more concerned about parallel ladder bars on the street not allowing for bodyroll

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Probably not the preferred way of doing it and looks like the bracket may bottom out on the floor later.
    Also looks to be a hell of a pinion angle there!!!

LWEL9226 and fauj like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are they going to hit the rear cross member.
    It appears that the top mounts will hit whats ever going to mount on the top of the frame.
    To me they are too short.

On a side note, if that’s an 8.8, a standard yoke/snout is available.

Blues4U and fauj like this.
  8. Moedog07

Moedog07

Rickybop I wondered if there was a reason for it, such as keeping the suspension tucked in under the body or was it just someone slapping parts together.

Fauj I also was concerned with how well it would work (drive) if left as is. I can't determine the coilover location as is. Is it going to ride roughly or be dangerous.

I'm adding up the man-hours in correcting the suspension into the purchase price.

9. twenty8

twenty8

Is the rear end in upside-down ??? You might find it drives backwards..............:eek::eek::eek:
    Not to mention that I wouldn't even grace that with the word "geometry".

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    indyjps likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

the rear is right side up, since the pinion center line is below the axle center line.

fauj and twenty8 like this.
  11. Moedog07

Moedog07

I originally thought it was upside down too. The vent tube and brake lines appear to be on top of the axle.

twenty8 likes this.
  12. Looks like an old TCI frame, some drag race bars and less than 1/2 an idea.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The front hairpins are just as bad.

Blues4U and fauj like this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Less than a quarter of an idea.

Look at the front geometry.

fauj likes this.
  15. twenty8

twenty8

If the parts are good, think of it only as parts. It will all need to be blown apart and rebuilt from scratch.

bchctybob, fauj, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^^ Yep, what he said.
    They are not bad parts but I would carefully cut it all apart and reassemble it paying more attention to the intended use and proper geometry.

Deuces likes this.
  17. Joe H

Joe H

It's missing a cross bar of some sort to keep the axle from going sideways. Ladder bars alone won't hold it.

18. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"Some" of that might get slightly corrected with the body and engine weight on it.

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

There's plenty wrong with all the suspension setups, but all fixable at this point. Just depends on the asking rice, and if you want to rip it all out, and make it correct. I'd do so in a second if the price was right.

20. If Stevie Wonder built a hot rod.....

21. Those are short drag race type ladder bars, the instant center is at the front mount. Agree the bars should be mounted opposite below the rearend, and it absolutely requires a panhard bar or a diagonal link (many drag race ladder bars use this. Not so good for the street. Ideally the bars should be longer and angle in towards the center to allow body roll. With the short parallel bars as they are you effectively have a 3 inch diameter sway bar in the back. Front may be also as bad, hard to see much in the pictures, besides it doesn't look good.
    For sure you should consider it as requiring work and just parts that may be best to sell off and get better ones for the rebuild. Like some Pete and Jakes style bars.

gimpyshotrods and X38 like this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I saw the same things Jim.

Also the front hairpins, the lower bar on the hair pins should be parallel to the ground, not at the extreme angle they are at.

I think with tis project there's a lot of re-engineering required.

jimmy six likes this.
  23. Andy

Andy

What is holding it up? I don’t see any jack stands but the rear is off the axle The whole thing is a mess.

Budget36 likes this.
  24. I think the rear crossmember is resting on the back of the ladder bar brackets.

The more I look, the worse it is.

25. Moedog07

Moedog07

Here are the front suspension pictures. The asking is around 2k for the Body, rolling frame, & steering box. It has some type of disc brakes on the front. No rear springs were mentioned by the seller. It does appear the rear is resting on the mounting plates and frame.

Screenshot_20210825-182832_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210825-182823_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210825-182811_Facebook.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  26. Budget36

Budget36

If the parts and pieces you want are there, buy the darned thing.

I respect that negotiating may be different in your country, but I’d send you down the road if you were to try to negotiate with me, based on the labor you have to put into what I’m selling.
    I’m happy to negotiate don’t get me wrong, but I passed on selling a truck to a guy that drove up from SoCal (about 350 miles away) and he wanted to negotiate because of his “long drive”.
    And that was when I was younger and more understanding;)

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  27. Andy

Andy

The suspension all needs work. It needs a four bar front and the same in back or some long bars angled in to meet in the center. The front axle, brakes, rear end ,frame, steering box, body, all look useable. I would guess the price is reasonable there but a lot more work is needed.

28. If you buy it correct the suspension issues. It appears to have quality parts and frame. definitely in the correct time to repair what is all wrong. Don't mention it to the seller as it might insult them. Then again mention how it is all wrong and needs redone correctly and the work involved to do it right. Offer what the parts are worth and see what they say.

29. What's there will cover the $2000, as long as you know going in that you're gonna be redoing all of it. I bet if it was put together correctly, $2000 wouldn't touch it

30. Mimilan

Mimilan

mgtstumpy and gimpyshotrods like this.