Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Has anyone attended any car events and noticed...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Aug 23, 2021.

1. exterminator

exterminator

In the last week i have attended two car events. The first was the Pomona swap meet and this past saturday, a local car show up in the local mountains. Both seemed to have more people and cars then in the past when i attended. Not only that, but people acted happier also. Am i the only one that has noticed this? Exterminator

Deuces, Elcohaulic and AVater like this.
  2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Thanks for raising this! I’ve been thinking the same thing. After last summer, seems like people are happier than ever to get out and about. Maybe gratitude is on the upturn too.

3. jnaki

jnaki

Hey E,

It has to be the choice to attend these outdoor events as a means to cope with the pandemic situation. But, by being within striking distance of other people, the risk is always there. For old hot rod guys/girls, being in those environments is always enlightening. It takes a moment to see things in a different light.

As much as my wife and I liked to go to those swap meets and car shows, it did have their effects on our old memories. We were institutions at almost all local car events and shows. It was just something to do to help keep the hot rod spirit alive, whether we were driving our 327 powered Ford Sedan Delivery or just our family station wagon. It was the destination and the journey.

Jnaki

But, as we know, the restrictions are coming fast with the increase of the spread of the new pandemic variants. So, care is to be taken. We have resolved ourselves to go to places that no one seems to be around to break up the locked in place pandemic situation for us. An over look facing the ocean and coastline is always a nice way to brighten our spirits.

On our walks in the local harbor, we are all protected as well as being outdoors. There are people that are always having a happy face despite the local and national situation. If we had a nice roadster or RPU, we would be driving all over So Cal to get the effects of being in the open air. That would be nice. But, for the places we go, it just is worth it to see something to brighten up our spirits.

For now, these places will be our spots... for our outdoor adventures. YRMV
    upload_2021-8-23_5-12-50.png

The warmth of the sun, the serenity and beauty all play a big part of coping. A nice hot rod to get us to these places would make is just that much more enjoyable. For two old folks, we are coping quite well, so far. "Happiness is a warm...SUN" to paraphrase a song lyric.

270283, Carter, D type and 8 others like this.
  4. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Yes, the small car shows in my area have been setting new record numbers of entries, seen a few new cars and think some of the stalled projects got completed when people stayed home last year.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    stillrunners likes this.

5. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Yep, attended shows the last two weekends. Car people live for car shows, for no other reason than to
    just hang out with like-minded people. People were not happy last year with cancellation after cancellation.
    Glad to see them back. I have my own opinion on being told what I can and can't do. So far I still have
    4 more shows to go before the snow flies. Bob in Denver.

WalkerMD and exterminator like this.
  6. Yep, folks just want to get out after the last year we have had. I noticed that as early as this time last year. Our local small town show was double what it had been in years. We have also had WAY more registrations the day of the events for our Hot Rod Hundred events over the past year. I assume that has a lot to do with the uncertainty of whether folks think it might be canceled. So, people aren’t as quick to pre-register like normal.

stillrunners likes this.
  7. j hansen

j hansen

Same thing here in Sweden,has only been on 4 meets so far.
    Think we are a bit starved of happy and nice things!
    Pics from Kil,Åmål and Mellerud. IMG_0242.jpeg IMG_0577.jpeg IMG_0515.jpeg

8. Deuces

Deuces

I was at the Woodward Cruise over the weekend.... Everybody was out enjoying themselves... The only thing that sucked was the heat and humidity....:(
    It be nice if they had this thing in the Spring or Fall with the temperature around 70°....

9. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

You know what sucked even more? That none of us Canadians were allowed to cross the border to join in on the fun. My cravings for Frankenmuth chicken is starting to get to me.

stillrunners, WalkerMD and Deuces like this.
  10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAPPY "LINE CHASING"!!!!!!

Deuces likes this.
  11. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Absolutely. All the shows I’ve attended lately, including last year from July on when we were allowed to have shows again, have been packed and everyone is relaxed and just enjoying themselves. Also notice most people try to give everyone some space while looking at cars and walking around. Even the Turkey Run in Daytona, packed house last Thanksgiving but everyone was very courteous and careful.

Driver50x likes this.
  12. I can't judge since we live in an island that stayed open the whole time. I do know a bunch of us were super happy sitting in a new baseball stadium watch Legion tryouts under blue skies yesterday. I will watch for it at Deadwood this weekend.

exterminator and Deuces like this.
  13. topher5150

topher5150

We went to Zender's a couple of weeks ago for our anniversery.

Driver50x, Deuces and ramblin dan like this.
  14. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

We went to the Great White Place and had tons of fun

Deuces, 51 mercules and Tman like this.
  15. It seems the monsoon season has set in here in the South, We seem to be having heavy thunder storms in our area most weekends if there is a cruise in or show and Hurricane Henri showed up this past weekend.

The last one I attended late last month there did seem to be more people and generally a friendly more out going crowd.

Hopefully the times are improving. HRP

Deuces likes this.
  16. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Quit bragging!

17. ...I've also noticed this, but it seems most smaller local shows have mostly muscle cars or cars from the 60; and newer. I like the older stuff from 65 and older myself.

18. Have not noticed the friendly part, still running into the same amount of rude people that like to make snide comments on my stuff, but the car counts have been much higher than normal for shows and with how short the show season is here in the Portland area, there is at least 3-6 shows each weekend around the metro area. Before this mess that many on a weekend would mean low counts at all the events, but not this summer.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  19. exterminator

exterminator

Jealousy can make people rude Taboo.

20. With the 56 I know they are coming, most people at the local stuff dont like cut up tri fives, but I have mainly be enjoying my O/T 68 C10 that I just got done restoring. I was not expecting the backlash I have gotten for cutting a long bed down, been quite surprising, but I could care less. The truck is a darn hoot to cruise around in.

21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I went to the Swap meet in Springfield and the venders were down , slightly. But the crowd was good and happy.
    The Spam Drags, that replaced the HAMB drags were down in numbers….., but great folks and a good show!
    Heat and rain could have been a factor in both events……

Bones

Deuces likes this.
  22. exterminator

exterminator

You made it for your pleasure and if you enjoy it- i think that is what counts. Besides we can't please everyone!

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Haven't been to but one show and one cruise in back in the spring, both had good crowds. Have been hearing of events being cancelled again, latest was today, Emerald Coast in Panama City FL cancelled until next spring.