Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1954 Chevy 2100 4-dr. Rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1953naegle, Oct 25, 2018.

1. 1953naegle

1953naegle

I'm behind documenting my progress, but here's some:
    20210820_184412.jpg
    20210820_184424.jpg
    This is the inner front passenger fender. It was swiss cheese under the battery and behind the park light bucket. I brazed the holes up and am now finishing it with red primer and bondo until it's good again. The driver side and radiator support is done and in black. I'm also filling holes in the driver vent tube and preping for paint. The passenger tube is almost destroyed and it seems like most are from battery acid leaks. The only difference between the two tubes however is which side had holes for mounting. In fact you'll notice that each side has raised boses on top that would go towards mounting on the other side, so I'm hoping to find another good driver side tube that I can reconfigure as a passenger tube and avoid trying to reconstruct the old one.

I've also been cleaning and painting suspension parts.
    1629775890549503714829.jpg
    Piece by piece. It's all pretty rusty, but I'm not seeing a lot of wear. I've been diping the worse parts in muratic acid solution, neutralizing in backing soda and water, and then sand blasting when dry, and that seems to be having the best effect with the least effort.

2. 1953naegle

1953naegle

1629776254554621580043.jpg
    The instrument cluster is 99% done. The last bit is painting the outside of the bezel to match the dash. I have my first batch of Bermuda Green mixed and am getting enough parts in primer to do a first painting. I had the temp gauge rebuilt with a new capilary tube. The amp and gas gauges were worked over and the instrument shop added internal 12volt shunts. The oil gauge didn't need any work and the speedometer just needed it's rim rechromed.
    16297767416901050735593.jpg
    I got the radiator recored. It, the horns, radiator saddle and driver inner fender are together and waiting for more parts.

I'm still working on the frame, but realized I won't be able to take it home until I drop the body back on it for some body work. I need to weld the front body mounts to the firewall and will need the frame to line it up. It would probably be good to do the floor pans and trunk floor too, but after that I can paint the frame and start assembling it in the garage at home. I'm not excited about the amount of sandblasting thevframe or body will need, so I've priced out having a dustless blasting service do it on site, but that won't be cheap.

Budget36 likes this.