Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Eaton Posi ??

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Master Brian, Apr 10, 2017.

1. That 703 unit is a late model 3/4 ton deal. 14 bolt cover ..12 bolt ring

stillrunners likes this.
  2. I have a HO32 that came out of my 1960 Apache 1/2 ton. It is 6 lug, has stock trailing arm suspension, is an open rearend that has totally been rebuilt with 3.38 gears. Anyone need one?

Attached Files:

3. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Jim,

Replying to this old post as I have a '55 series 2 rear axle with the same stamp on it, and it was a 3.90 gear set in it. Just wanted to say that the reason the pinion is different is the shaft on it is different for the torque tube vs. the open driveshaft. The shaft attaches differently, on the series 2 there's a nut that attaches it, and on the older torque tube there's a pin that needs to be ground to remove and replaced and peened.

On the torque tube, the pinion is attached to the closed driveshaft, where on the open driveshaft the pinion is inside the carrier and the threaded end goes through the front diff cover and the nut holds it securely. On the later open drive, there are 2 bearings as well, front and rear on the pinion, this seems a better design to me, despite traditionalists claiming how much stronger the closed torque tube is, it's a PITA to work on and match up to any modern transmissions, like a T5.

This pic is the front diff cover from a '55 Series 2 rear axle:
    1955-series-2-front-diff-cover-stamp.jpg

This is the stamp on the original ring gear:
    1955-series-2-old-39-tooth-stamp.jpg

Just FYI if you see this. Of course squirrel is right, I mean what are the chances he's be wrong? Like 1 in 10,000...if that? :p

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    squirrel and Gofannon like this.
  4. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Can anyone tell me what Eaton axle this comes out of? I can't find anything on the axle, but don't have it entirely cleaned. Do I have an H032 as stated in a message a couple up? Mine was definitely 3.90 ratio, but has a 44 tooth ring gear on it now.
    1955-series-2-new-44-tooth-stamp.jpg

Hard to cross reference the bearings...the Eaton axle type would help. I ended up with these Timkem numbers by finding it in an Ebay auction which had the Eaton part number on the bearing. LOL

I ordered these through MIBearings, my local O'Reilly's failed twice.

(pinion front/rear bearings in the front diff cover, these are the bearings ONLY, I'm reusing the old races as the ones in there are in good shape and seem loctited in, I don't want to heat them or destroy them getting out)

1 ea. Timken HM88547 2 TRB Single Cone <4 OD $27.18
    1 ea. Timken HM89449 2 TRB Single Cone <4 OD $21.16

(These are for the inside rear for half shafts, bearings and races for each)

2 ea. HYATT BEARING A159286Z BEARING UNIT $53.12

The measurements match my original bearings, I don't have the actual bearings yet. This axle is going in my '46 pickup.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  5. squirrel

squirrel

that might be one of the aftermarket 3.38 gearsets for the early 50s trucks? The numbers are modern, it's not an original gear set from the old days.

Deuces likes this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! I can tell by the laser etched numbers....

7. Gofannon

Gofannon

3.38 was an option, I think starting '59. I have a set in mine from an early '60s GMC with V6, not sure what trans but probably auto. They made a huge difference to how my truck drove.

8. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Oh yes, I got my set from Joe at Mother Trucker Trucks. In fact to give Joe a plug, he swapped these for a 3.55 set that I had bought for my torque tube. A great guy to deal with in my experience.

The gear above it was the original that I knocked off the carrier. I believe that to be original. I have the 10 tooth pinion also. My 13 tooth aftermarket pinion is going back in. BTW, one of the reasons I knew the pinion shaft was different was that I had planned to put that first set on my truck, but over time I realized that in order to really do justice on the RPMs at highway speed, ultimately you need to have overdrive. I currently have the Chevy 3 speed, no OD, and with 3.55:1 I would get some but about half of what I wanted.

FWIW, those 3.38:1 ring/pinion were rarely put on the trucks, and reflect that today as they are pretty similar to hen's teeth. I have yet to speak with anyone that has an original set.

As for the aftermarket sets available at Chevs of the 40s, Jim Carter, The Filling Station, et al stock 3.55 sets are for older closed driveshafts, 3.38:1 are for 55 series 2 (mid 1955) up to '62. This is for aftermarket and what available.

I don't think 3.55 was available for torque tube in the day, I only know about the option on Series 2 trucks. I have heard good things about the imported sets Joe has, the same as Patrick had, AFAIK.

9. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Now I just learned something. What oj shows is the posi carrier. Mine is the non-posi I think.

This is what mine looks like:

On my workbench, the side of it with the new aftermarket ring gear on it.
    1955-series-2-carrier-side.jpg

Before I pulled the carrier out, a bit rusty, but a little rust won't hurt me...
    1955-series-2-carrier-inside-axle.jpg

This is the stamp on the carrier, 3697701. Interesting, squirrel had the ring gear part as 3697702 and this front diff cover is 3697701, that makes sense.
    1955-series-2-carrier-stamp.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  10. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

I'm not Master Brian, but that is what I just learned tonight, that what oj posted pics of is the posi carrier, and what Brian and me show is the non-posi carrier.

This is the posi carrier that oj posted:
    [​IMG]
    Notice it looks very similar on the other side, but you can see the gears in the ring side. of the carrier.
    [​IMG]

And the non-posi carrier, sorry I don't have a clean side view like oj does.:oops:
    [​IMG]

But what you can see here is the passenger side of the carrier pointed up, there is one under the carrier here, and since the carrier really looks like the above looking from the rear, those tapered bearings are for the inner half shaft on each side of the axle. Those odd screw things with holes you can grab with a screwdriver adjust the bearing fit. I'm just talking out loud as I haven't put mine back together yet...:p
    [​IMG]

I'm upgrading mine to the 3.38 using aftermarket parts, and using it with the '55 driveshaft to a T5.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021