Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Black soot in tailpipe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimvette59, Aug 23, 2021.

1. jimvette59

jimvette59

There is a lot of black soot at the tailpipes. 327 - 300 HP .060 over, wcfb carburetor. is it adjusted correct ?

2. What kind of gas?

3. squirrel

squirrel

Do you ever see black smoke come out the tailpipes? Usually times are when starting, and at idle. If you don't have a helper, maybe make a phone video of the back of the car when you start it up, when cold.

4. jaracer

jaracer

If you are just driving around town, it may be normal. Wipe out the soot and take it for an extended highway drive. If it is still sooty then you are probably rich. If they are white or dry, you are probably okay. If you have a lumpy cam you tend to soot up the pipes with in town driving.

Truck64, olscrounger and Deuces like this.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

What do the spark plugs look like? The tailpipe gives good info too. But driving around town or idle time buggers up any kind of accuracy pretty quickly.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. jimvette59

jimvette59

Hi test 10 percent Ethanol.

7. jimvette59

jimvette59

Low speed 1st gear the car bucks.

8. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Modern gas off the pump is going to show signs of that sooty black , take a look at a new vehicles and they are EFI,

Bad guid seal if only when you fist start car & goes away , worn rings in other cases .

9. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my o.t chevy van burns so clean i cannot catch a wiff of unburned hydrocarbons......my 350 chevy powered coupe i can smell it......injection is the bomb , just sayin

10. The pipes on my cars used to always burn near white. Just got back from a 500 mile trip with the '63 and the pipes are black. I know it runs a bit rich, but the pipes on my bone stock '50 flathead are always black too. I think that today's gas has a lot to do with it, but I do see some newer, off topic cars that have cleaner looking tail pipes.

If you pour a bit of gas on the ground and light it on fire, the smoke is black. I don't know why it should be any other colour when it comes out the tail pipes. :cool:

11. Truckedup

Truckedup

White pipes was from the tetraethyl lead in pump gas...that was a long time ago....I use leaded race fuel in my land speed race bikes, the pipes are whitish inside.. Every car I see using non leaded pump gas has black to just the color of the steel pipe...

Charlie K and 19Eddy30 like this.
  12. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

yes efi is great , especially the ECUs that you can take complete control of every component of the engine including changing the timing on each cylinder different than the other cylinders & AFR on each cylinder , the point is the Ethanol mix fuel , there is about a 15 yr span of efi starting around 2000 , sooty black tail pips .. In last few years they added more cats & hotter & other technology. But it's still the blend of fuel off the pump with ethanol.