Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Making a convertible top look old

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Aug 22, 2021.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Has anyone ever made a new white canvas top look old. I know it's the opposite of what everybody wants. New will look out of place on my build. Trying to do research before I get ready to have it done.

2. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Yeah, leave it out in the sun, rain, weather... It will age quickly. Don't do anything to hasten its true patina.

3. uncle buck

uncle buck

I have a friend that collected old convertible top material from cars that had new tops installed and he sewed up a new top for himself with the old material.

v8flat44 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I know people that have stained a top with tea to make it look old

5. And here I am wishing mine looked new…

scotty t, AVater, Moriarity and 4 others like this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yep, that will do it. Just take a while. Maybe park under some trees and let the sap drip on it.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the wild fire smoke in this area right now it would probably look old in a week. It will look crappy soon enough if you let it sit outside.

8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yeah, finally a good use for coffee!

dana barlow likes this.
  9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have seen the same done on Ivory handgun grips to age them

10. Give it to me for an hour I can get white anything dirty just by walking by it !

11. Bring it to my house, the birds will age it for you in no time!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

If you have already bought the top, maybe check with a fabric shop and see if they can use a dye or something to take the shine off.

13. v8flat44

v8flat44

Coffee, tea, shoe polish. Maybe. I'd sure goeasy with the polish...............

14. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

15. Bring it to me! I will age it.

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When my brother and I were in the middle of Summer one year, as 8-10 year old kids, we wanted a pool. Our back yard was big enough for a pool, but it was not to be. Our dad had a fairly new canvas tarp sitting in the backyard Rumpus Room. He only used it when he was doing some detailing work on his “Trout Flies,” but he did not want any drips to go on the smooth concrete floor of the room. So, he bought a nice painter’s canvas to spread out.

He had not used it in quite some time, so the two brothers figured out a system of ropes tied to our mom’s rose garden trellis/fence and our backyard patio steel poles for the cooling covered roof support. It was about 15 feet across the grass. So, we tied up two heavy duty ropes and secured the large painter’s canvas across the two ropes. We realized it made a nice tent, but that we needed to add in two other ropes and tie the canvas ends up and secure it.

Once the 4 sided canvas was secure, we got in and filled it up with water. It took a while until the weight of the water was overbearing on the secure canvas on the ropes. So, our mom’s garden got an instant flooding and her plants were happy. We were not. Our mom told us to hang up the canvas tarp on the rear yard clothes lines, in the far corner of the yard. We did and for the next several weeks, we forgot about the canvas tarp. Our mom was not tall enough or strong enough to grab the canvas tarp, so she just left it there.

Finally when we were told to get the tarp down, it was an awful color. Something in the air had darkened the canvas and it now did not look pristine and new, like it was when we started. We lived downwind from an industrial tract that did all kinds of machining, hot rod building, fiberglass spraying on boat hulls and he large oil refinery just down the street contributed to something floating in the air. The canvas tarp looked old and worn.

Our dad was irritated, but he just went out and bought a smaller canvas tarp for his fishing corner in the Rumpus Room. He saw how much fun we had trying to be creative and enjoyed what he saw. So, he decided that anger toward us is easily stifled, as it was just as easy to buy a new smaller tarp for his fishing uses and hobby.

During our time building our 1940 Willys Coupe, we used the same faded canvas tarp stretched out as a large shade structure for doing outside work, instead of staying in the small backyard garage. The Willys Coupe rolled easily under the stretched out canvas. So, it had its proper usage for us.
    upload_2021-8-23_4-12-7.png

Jnaki

If you are going to get someone like an upholstery shop to do a new canvas convertible top for your car, then ask them to put the canvas outside for several days or weeks to “age” the look. But, remember, canvas does get old fast when exposed to the elements. Perhaps the newer canvas is better in construction than the old painters canvas we used.

In our sailing days, our Sunbrella Canvas sail covers and accessory covers were the latest outdoor technology for all things “being covered.” But, as we know, even the latest technology like Sunbrella is no barrier to Mother Nature’s power when left outside day and night, through all kinds of weather, including salt air. From 2011 to 2018, my wife and I had two sets of sail covers and accessory packs. They do tend to fade and get “crunchy” when left outdoors.

We even had a huge 15’ x 15’ Sunbrella Tarp made to use as an awning over the cockpit, (so we would not burn to a crisp) after we were safely back in the dock enjoying our day’s memories out in the water. When it was new, it was soft and easily handled. As it was put up for only the afternoon and into the next day for sun protection in the dock, over time, it did get “crunchy.” We could also see the fade differences from the underside versus the surface that always got the sun. YRMV

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Why not make the rest of the car look as nice as the new top?

BamaMav, scotty t, 57 Fargo and 4 others like this.
  18. some fallout from a steel plant or similar
    toss it in a mud hole for a while
    then let it dry
    but honestly, playing with coffee can help age that a bunch or just tell the interior shop you're dealing with

or the American Grafitti method, tie it behind a car and drag it

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  19. Rand Man

Rand Man

I age all my cars with tree sap. Park it in the woods every night.

20. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

A white convertible top is going to get dirty and aged fast enough if you just leave the car outside for a while, you don't need to do anything special.

21. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Trust me, the top will age very quickly on it's own, just don't wash it. IMG_9134.JPG

VANDENPLAS and anthony myrick like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There is that!

scotty t and Moriarity like this.
  23. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don’t see a roadster in your profile @harleycontracter , folks assume it’s a 32 ,do you have a picture for guidance?

24. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

1st pic is with the chop
    2nd pic is mock up with tape
    3rd the look I’m going for

work in progress…..

Attached Files: