Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Frank Cochran Testimony

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Frank Cochran Testimony

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Outback, catdad49, Lepus and 12 others like this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This whole gangster story with my family has veered pretty far off topic... I'm aware of that... But hey - it is my journal and part of my old car journey...

In any case, this is the last installment. I think I've come to the end of the road with the available information anyhow...

Baumi, Outback, catdad49 and 17 others like this.
  3. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Pretty cool stuff man. Crazy to be mixed up in all of that.....

4. Look hard enough and there are skeletons in everyone's closet, my granddad Highpocket's wasn't associated with any high profile gangsters, just trying to survive by making corn liquor, interesting read even if it is off topic. HRP

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021

5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

But.... nuts don't fall far from the tree.
    I think every family had a relative with a shady past.
    I guess you (and we) are finding out.

6. Very interesting read!

VANDENPLAS and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

But didn't Baby Face drive a '33 Ford? At least he did in O' Brother Where Art Thou?

8. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's hard to read between the lines of a confession that is clearly written to try to create some distance between the writer and the main subjects of the investigation. However, I'm not sure Frank would have considered himself a "part of the gang" per se... more like someone who got caught up with some characters and shortly found himself knowing more than he wanted to know, and with no easy way to back out of the relationship.

catdad49 and osage orange like this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

He did on at least one occasion, but Frank Cochran mostly built out Hudsons... And Nelson preferred the Hudson over the Ford.

Frank Cochran was one of (if not the) first to put a McCulloch Supercharger on a Hudson 8. His cars were undefeated as getaway cars... and I assume this record is what sent so many gangsters to him over the years. That... and his willingness to break the law and come to the aid of bad guys.

Baumi, Outback, catdad49 and 9 others like this.
  10. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Interesting stuff.

11. Fascinating. I could read old history like this all day.

12. One question: The Cochran garage was in Nevada? When did it move to Oklahoma?

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

14. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Ryan, if I'm reading between the lines I'm guessing someone in your family had something to do with or was related to Baby Face Nelson. I know we are getting off topic, but I joined "Ancestry.Com" and I learned so much about our family. They might have an answer for you.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

He "hot rodded" at least five cars for Nelson over a period of only two years. And, on top of that, he was acting as a double agent - telling the FBI one thing and then informing Nelson of what he had told them. Without Frank's help, Nelson probably would have been caught a year earlier at the very least...

Also... Frank's ill doings were not limited to just Nelson and his gang. He was building other cars for other criminals as well - some from as far away as Chicago.

I think Frank got away with only serving a year in jail for a couple of reasons:

1. He ultimately gave the FBI what they needed with his testimony. And I think he did this due to a plea deal made behind closed doors. No evidence to support that - just a hunch.

2. Apparently, he was close friends with a number of high ranking Nevada officials and businessmen including past governors and mayors. More importantly though, he was close with a guy named Edward Thomas - the dude that financed the birth of Las Vegas for the mob.

All of these guys got together and talked Truman into issuing the pardon. And this really pissed off Hoover because he knew Frank was responsible for the death of two agents... AND, Hoover hated the mob for obvious reasons...

But ultimately, Hoover couldn't stop the transaction and Frank got off almost Scott free... Hell, from 1948 onward Frank is mentioned in local newspapers on the regular and they never mention his criminal past again.

Here's two such examples:

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      398.2 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      148.8 KB
      Views:
    Baumi, Outback, catdad49 and 8 others like this.
  16. @Ryan Thanks for sharing the story! It's interesting to see at least a small part of the ties to history like this. I can appreciate the obsession, I ran down a rabbit hole with military records from WWII for my grand father and his brothers.

catdad49, 41 GMC K-18 and Ryan like this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Cochran Garage in Oklahoma was ran by my grandfather - JB Cochran.

There was another Cochran Garage in Reno, NV ran by a relative - Frank Cochran. He changed the name to The Air Service Garage when he decided to focus more on aircraft.... The aircraft never came really, so he continued doing cars... and never changed the name back.

I have all the info I can get I think... details here:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=35741

18. 6inarow

6inarow

As evidenced the 30s and the great depression were tough times. It seemed to bring out the best and worst in people.

19. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW!! I knew there was a story but I never thought you would be able to put it all together. Thanks for sharing.

-Abone.

20. @Ryan , just how hard was it to the FOIA request ?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Quite a story ! There was a guy that stopped in here for some tune up work on his Deuce, some years back. Look at what was stored in the back seat area ! IMG_1603.JPG

Outback, catdad49, Fordors and 3 others like this.
  22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A complete pain in the ass... requiring all sorts of paperwork and no confirmation that you did it right... I figured I screwed something up and kind of forgot about it until it showed up last week.

catdad49, Sancho, fauj and 5 others like this.
  23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Kind of like filing your income taxes every year.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, last comment. Frank isn't Ryan and with not 1 iota of disrespect, who gives a shit. You're fortunate to have a story like this to tell and the stance of respecting law enforcement and disdain for crime, well, duh. Of course. Based on the 1st story's installments and pictures found, and the possible connection to the Mormon Meteor and Ab Jenkins, maybe "survivor" Frank found a better outlet for his talents from people exponentially better in and for society. I say survivor because it's not like there was money flowing in the crawl back from the Great Depression. 1933 thru 1936-7 were horrible years for the general public. Folks did what they did or what they had to in order to survive and feed their families. Does it excuse major crime? No, but he didn't kill anyone. Nobody today can raise a right hand to the conversations had amongst them all. "Jeezuz Jimmy why ya have to kill em..." or the like, and he got away with it because he was who he was. They needed him. Is that a bad thing? If he knew he knew. The end. The story is fascinating and personal, and we here are fortunate enough to learn this lore. We and others have gained a better perspective of what was happening vs some romanticized movie with a popular star. Chicago had Al Capone, Detroit had the Purple Gang, NYC had Luciano and Lansky. The midwest was riddled with Dillinger, Bonnie n Clyde, Nelson, Kelly and more. It is what it is. Embrace and copy you're piece of shit, but knowing it may have touched deeper than previously realized is just that, knowing. I'm not discounting what you might feel about it but I still say it means nothing or doesn't "skidmark your shorts" here in any way. Thank you for the detailed look back and the effort to share it with us.

25. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

“…guns, bullet proof vests and camping equipment”…. and a generous amount of poultry. Party!

26. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fascinating read. Thanks for sharing.

osage orange and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  27. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Great read, Thanx for posting.. $

28. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ryan Amazing story, and amazing history, thanks for sharing this !

Purely as a tribute to Frank Cochran and the " AIR SERVICE COMPANY " and the fact that Frank was a member of the OX5 club, here is a picture of the venerable OX5 aviation engine that Frank obviously knew and appreciated !

I am sure there are a lot of younger HAMBER'S, that don't know what a Curtiss OX5 engine is !

DSC_2764 (2).JPG DSC_2763 (3).JPG

29. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

How cool. Thanks for sharing such history. Like a good suspense novel.