Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Air vs. Electric.... And old age

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Aug 22, 2021.

1. I have zero cordless tools. It's funny, I used those daily when I was working with few issues and liked them, but after I retired I wanted a cordless drill. I went through three of them, all failed after about a year, I'm assuming because I didn't use them enough to keep the batteries 'exercised'. These weren't no-name cheapies either; two Makitas and a DeWalt. The corded/air tools don't care if they lay in my toolbox for a week, month, or year, they always work when I pull them out.

LWEL9226, Boneyard51, lostone and 3 others like this.
  2. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i like the air tools, but every time that compressor kicks on, i jump 5 feet!
    don't care much for the oil, but i asked mechanics at work, and they only oiled their tools first thing in the morning...

Boneyard51, lostone and Deuces like this.
  3. I once worked for a Buick dealership. One of my chores was fixing what the Techs screwed up with air tools. I know how to use an air wrench and I am not a fan of anyone else using one. LOL

My compressor is currently not hooked up so I either use electric or hand tools. When I was in the shop with Lynn (RIP) we had the compressor outside. That gave us to advantages one is that we did not listen to the compressor (he was a painter so we did use lots of air) and the other was that there was more room in the shop. ;)

I like the convenience of both electric tools and air tools. Air tools seem to have a little more grunt when i need to break something that has been on there for a while.

LWEL9226, lostone and Deuces like this.
  4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Expected battery life ? Cost & availability of replacement batteries . I have 5 -9.6v cordless drills. 2 rigid 14.4 impacts & a couple other cordless tools that work fine , but buying batteries is cost prohibitive , on the other hand , I have air tools & corded tools that are 40 - 50 years old that still work (& out work the cordless) just fine .

LWEL9226, Boneyard51, lostone and 2 others like this.
  5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Now that I've got battery powered tools, I kinda miss tripping over the cords and air hoses.............:D

Actually I have all 3 types and still trip a lot. I see them, and I pick up my feet higher(?), and I still seem to trip more than ever. I gave two good 3/8 corded drills to the Goodwill store last month, but I still have a couple big ones. I have a reduction gear 1/2" that looked worn out when I traded for it 50 years ago. When I need something that will turn really slow with lots of torque, its the boss. It'll twist your arms around each other if you don't watch what you are doing. Or knock your teeth out if you have something up in a vice. Got a large Milwaukee angle grinder that I keep a large wire wheel on for derusting heavy stuff. Gotta watch it too, especially if working near your gonad level. Had it jump off and twist thru a pair of sweat pants before, luckily it was by my hip. Yep, every tool has its best situation.:)

lostone and Deuces like this.
  6. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I have quite a few DeWalt 20V tools now, started with the brushless 3/8 drill. which still works great, has done a lot of sheetrock screws, long woodscrews etc. Got the 1/2 impact, and anytime I go anywhere with a trailer, goes along with the impact sockets- and it is stronger than my Ingersol air gun. The 6-1/2 circular saw is a favorite as it is very light and cuts pretty well. The sawzall is great with the very sharp pruning blades, it will cut up to 6" limbs with no problem, and i take it up in the Genie lift with 4 batteries and a couple blades and I quit before it does lol... The work light is adjustable, light, and lasts a long time on a battery, and has a sturdy hook to hang it

ekimneirbo, lostone and Deuces like this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

I cringed when I was reading wire wheel and sweat pants!

8. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I vote both.

I use air as much as cordless, and have plenty of corded tools as well. They all have a purpose in my workshop. Some things just work better air powered, especially if you are trying to do something precision (cutting/grinding) and you need a light, small tool.

I will say that I have drank the Kool Aid when it comes to buying battery tools, and have entirely too many in the arsenal. Makita should be sending me a Christmas card!

ekimneirbo, Deuces and lostone like this.
  9. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I remember when the first corded impacts came out, if I remember correctly they were about 175 ft pds. Which by todays standards ain't much but it should been enough back then for taken lug nuts off and on.

I have a makita 9.6 drill I bought new in a hard box and it still looks new, not a drop of dirt anywhere but the battery died quick, I guess lack of daily use, that after pricing a replacement battery decided it was nothing more than a shelf art.

Wasn't worth much trying to trade in to snap on or Mac because they "knew" just how expensive those batteries were too.

Need to find me a good used 1/2" corded drill. Haven't needed one forever and like most things its come around again full circle that I'm in need of one. So been watching flea markets, garage sales etc.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  10. Milwaukee Magnum if you can find a used one, but make damn sure you get the side handle. Variable-speed reversible, about the same size as a 3/8 but with all the poop of a bigger one. Worth buying new IMO. If I could only own one corded drill, this is the one.

I've also got a Milwaukee Hole Hawg, but that one will hurt you if using it on metal, and you better be paying attention even with wood. I've twisted the shank off a wood augur after hitting a nail with one of those...

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

As I get older comfort and ease of working factor in! I bought each item with batteries that interchange. So while I’m using one item I can have two on a charger! But now me and one battery last about the same time. Lol

Bones

12. Wrench97

Wrench97

I use both, air tools are still lighter, faster and cheaper(all shops already have air), electric(battery) is more convenient inside a car or truck cab, out in the yard(think trucking terminal yard)etc. Air is easier to clean, spray it with starting fluid and wipe it off, electric not so starter fluid friendly, cut off tools being small and high rpm are a advantage for air, as are small compact fast air ratchets. If working on dirty stuff air is needed to blow it off before disassembly electric doesn't do that well:)

13. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thanks Steve ! I will look for 1of those!

Bones, your right thats the best way to do it. I've had friends buy several tools and buy just one with the battery and then have to wait for it to charge each time because buying other tools without the battery is cheaper and then get sticker shock when they decide to buy an extra battery! Then they figure out that tool without the battery wasn't such a great buy after all.

Boneyard51 and Deuces like this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We have always lived in a house with a two car garage. If work was needed to be done on our 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, I could not use an air compressor with tools. I felt badly about running the compressor to add in air in the tires. The neighborhood was fairly quiet and the quietest compressor we had made so much noise that it sounded like I was hammering out a concrete wall. I even put it inside of a cabinet with the cabinet door closed and the garage door closed.
    upload_2021-8-24_4-11-29.png
    It was a losing battle. I did purchase a smaller airbrush compressor, but gave it away as it too, made too much noise. So, I do check the air pressure on tires and if needed, a short drive to the tire store for a check and added air. The local tire stores have a policy that includes air anytime, and always deliver with a smile. Sometimes, they do a check on the tread for nails or other things sticking out.

We have never used the air gun for removing lug nuts, except for doing our own work at a friend’s gas station. Using their air gun was fine, as the noise bothered no one. But as loud as just the compressor turned on to fill the tank, the use of an air gun would have brought down the house(s). Once we lived two blocks away from a tire shop and the noise from the air guns could be heard all day and into the night.

Jnaki

So, electric tools are noisy, but not as much as an air compressor and air tools. The only bad thing we had going was a table saw that made the most obnoxious noise, but we were finished with the usage and gave it away. For most applications, we have plenty of electric tools for the household usages and yard maintenance. Those sounds are acceptable by everyone in competition with the ever-present blow and go commercial gardener’s machines.

Just having electric powered tools is handy, but within our newly insulated garage door, the sound is muffled to all those walking by or driving by our house. Electric tools are accepted, while not out in the country, air powered tools are not. We have some cordless units, but also corded ones when the battery and back ups are going low. It just does not make sense to irritate your neighbors or even your own family with the loud intense racket coming from the compressors and tools. YRMV

As far as old age, the noise from growing up in drag racing, hot rods and taking numerous dips in the salt air for long periods of time has done wonders for my hearing. As my wife would say… it is "selective hearing…” But, the sound of quiet these days in old age is the sound of silence and comfort. We like to enjoy where we are living, without the sounds of added booms and rat-tat-tats… We get enough noise from the 50 caliber machine gun practice and the howitzers from the nearby military action, practices.