Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GM transmission shop Memphis Tennessee

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thegreenbuzzer, Aug 23, 2021.

1. thegreenbuzzer

thegreenbuzzer
    from Knoxville

Guys, my son just went back to his NAVY ROTC program over the weekend to Memphis Tennessee and of course his transmission went out. Anyone know of a trustworthy place around Memphis before I drive 6 1/2 hours to get it and bring it back on car hauler. It is a 1999 GMC Yukon with the 4l60E 4x4. I know it’s not H.A.M.B. Worthy but it’s our newest vehicle by far. lol. Please let me know if anyone knows of a place we can trust. Any help would be appreciated Brad. 865-256-0276

2. BTTT for you and your son.

I was in Vandy NROTC in '83-'87.:rolleyes:

3. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

If there is a Orielys auto parts or maybe another brand nearby buying a reman from them and having it installed at a competent shop may be the most trouble free. Then he will have a warranty when he leaves town. Something to consider as I am sure you will be looking at a minimum of 3k whichever route you go.

thegreenbuzzer and Just Gary like this.
  4. Many years ago when I lived in the area, Coleman Taylor was the go to. Not sure if they are still in business.
    They were also involved in drag racing I believe. My 2 cents worh.

thegreenbuzzer likes this.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know about GM but several years ago I bought a reman unit from Ford for my OT 1 ton 4x4. Had a local shop install it. Ford warranted it for I want to say 3 years even though they didn't do the install. Worth checking with a local dealer.

6. thegreenbuzzer

thegreenbuzzer
    from Knoxville

Thanks they have good reviews so I think I’m gonna go that route they said 2200 out the door with a year warranty. I really don’t want to drive 6 1/2 hours there and back with it on car hauler. My son said “come on dad just get one at oreillys and come over we can do it in his buddy’s garage it will be fun”. I said hell no I’m getting too old for that shit I’m getting a lift. No more transmission jobs without one. My dad and I did that once in Tennessee in the middle of August in a 84 merc gran marquis on the blacktop in front of my apartment when I was his age, 19. I was burnt all over my body from the hot blacktop. Had it jacked up with blocks, real Safe lol. I have the picture somewhere.