Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods is it worth it???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Aug 12, 2021.

1. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Get behind the wheel, fire it up, ease it into gear and head on down the road.....yes, it's worth it!

2. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Just found this thread have to go read it all. Since it's only opinion I'll speak first. What ever gets you out of bed, off the sofa, and makes you do the best you are able to, Is Worth It. Go have fun.

X-cpe likes this.
  3. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Exactly Tom... I love the challenge of making it work when it came to you in pieces... One thing that does bug me from non car people... They really don't have a clue how much we do to these cars. My old truck still looks like shit, but every winter is gets partially disassembled and improved. I moved up here 3 years ago and friends here never saw the truck before that, they never saw what I started with. The other day I took a friend for a ride in it. It was a little cool so windows were up. He said "what is that noise?". "What noise?", "It sounds like a airplane!" So OK there is wind noise from around front of passenger door... He doesn't comment on how later model hydraulic clutch works great and brakes are good, 300 6 runs nice, on &on... Has no idea the amount of "Car Crafting" is involved. I'll bet you guys with the traditional style cars really get things pointed out... Oh yeah it's still worth it, for sure....

4. What else is there to do?

5. I would say it is all worth it...spending time alone in your own head and working with your two hands is a my happy place....

Keep it up...sitting in my easy chair makes me wanna go to sleep...hoping to stop working 2 jobs and work just 1 part time job in 16 months so I can spend more time in the shop...

yes keep doing it...

My 2 cents...

MikeC

6. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Worth it? Only to us.

I did a complicated rebuild on an OT OHC straight 6 and 4L30E 4 speed tranny and the thread on that garnered 50,000 views. The rebuild has 70,000 miles on it. Judging that project by a ledger would never lead you to conclude it was worth it.

But the responses in that thread, from all over the globe prove that people like us take great satisfaction from doing a difficult job well. The funniest most over the top line in that thread came from an Aussie, "What a great read mate. You've got it all happening there. When it comes together, it will be glorious in the full Roman sense of the word. Regardless of anyone else knowing! Persistence with practice makes perfect, and that one will be!"

7. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
    Wm. Shakespeare

8. The only way I can look at it is this. Do you like doing it? If you do then it is worth it.

I am going to throw this other perspective out there, I know that @birdman1 did not ask this and this s not meant to be disrespectful at all.

I suppose that if you do it for a living and you are making ends meet I suppose that it is worth it too. But then you still have to ask yourself if you like doing it and if you don't then maybe a different career is in order.

Now I suppose that there is still another way to look at it. I am currently screwing an old (but OT) car together for my wife. She needs/wants a good dependable driver, we do not want to go into debt for a car and like me she still prefers to drive older cars. So even if I did not like it I would do it just one last time. ;)