Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can You Buff Glass Lenses?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Aug 22, 2021.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just wondering if there is a product out there to use to buff out scratches and small chips in tail light lenses? Thanks!

Bob

2. loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  3. How about a coat of quality clear boat laquer that would flow into the scratches and smooth out on the good surface. Quick dry with a hair dryer underneath.

Deuces likes this.
  4. tinsled

tinsled

First of all; I would NOT recommend to heat a glass lens quickly by any heater. The glass lenses are uneven by thickness, thus sudden temperature change can cause them crack due to difference in heat expansion.

Then, Even if the laquer would succeed, it will be a temporary solution. Paint or clear coat will not grip to clear glass, only to the scratches. Give time, it will peel off partially.

Glass parts are difficult or impossible to repair/restore when damaged. On the other hand, glass lenses do not bleach by UV, they are very hard surface, thus not easily scratched. Tail light lenses on my 1948 are as new, also NOS parts are still available for many US-makes.

5window likes this.

5. 5window

5window

6. wonder if the windshield repair products can work
    several video on youtube
    we used to use a special glass buffing compound to remove scrartches many moons ago

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I don't know about jewelers, but there is likely a glass beveling business somewhere in the area. I.e. a business that bevels the edges of glass for use in leaded glass windows. This is a hand made process using equipment that grinds the glass down for the bevel, then polishes it back out. Polishing lenses is not in their usual wheelhouse, but it would be worth asking them. They could bring it back to as new condition.

73RR likes this.
  8. Rusty J

Rusty J

For glass taillight lenses there's 2 decent options: First scrub clean with solvent based cleaner, acetone...etc. You can use CA glue or a clear drying epoxy dripped in to the damaged area - make your repair as small as possible to minimize the cleanup surface, then polish the repair spots with fine sandpaper and polish but try not to go too far beyond the crack, chip repair. I've used clearcoat paint on the repaired surface and feathered it out using ultra fine modeling sanding tools. This has worked for both glass and plastic lenses for me and they've held up for 10 years plus...

If you could cut and polish lenses, the size of the buffing wheels dictates the repair surface size and it could possibly create a large distortion area, plus the depth of repair is very limited - if you can hook your finger nail in the scratch then likely the best that could be done would be to minimize the scratch but it won't make it completely disappear. chips won't go away, so the above mentioned repair is (in my opinion) the best option.

9. What is the lens Bob? HRP

10. I have used a mild rubbing compound.

11. alchemy

alchemy

I haven't done a taillight lense, but I smoothed a chip on a glass cooking pot. I used an air grinder with some 80 grit to smooth the rough edge, then sanded that with my electric palm sander in continuously finer grits. I don't remember what I stopped at (probably around 1,000), but eventually I used my buffing wheel with the same compounds I use on aluminum to put a shine on it.

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  12. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I've done a fair amount of glass polishing in my other hobby. Cerium oxide is the go-to for heavy scratches, but is difficult to work with without getting distortion. Best if it can be used in a tumbling operation. For general polishing, I use Spot-X . It's basically comprised of powdered oyster shells. Add some water to make a paste and use a white Scotch Brite pad for buffing. It will buff glass nicely without the problem of creating distortion.
    Good luck!

joep4567 likes this.
  13. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

In the optical business, cerium oxide is used to
    polish, but this is only one step in the process. What ever you do before the cerium oxide should be done with water. Usually a slurry of cerium is pumped through and squirted on the lens while it’s moving in a circular motion or a figure 8 motion if it’s a lens which corrects astigmatism, over a steel ‘tool’ which matches the inside curve.
    Sorry, couldn’t help myself m, been doing it for 40 something years :eek::rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-8-24_4-13-52.png

Hello,

There a number of quality parts that will do the same thing in any glass restoration use. But, as always, caution is to be used for all products. The headlight covers can be made a little brighter. The same would apply to plastic tail light lenses, just in a smaller proportion and you might have to use a Dremel tool for buffing intricate areas. Plastic does scratch easier than other surfaces, so caution is necessary. Google search shows plenty of choices of products and actual films.

Before You Tube was around, older cars with those plastic lenses faded in all different environments. There are quite a few short films that show what can be done to faded lenses, headlights or taillights. It could have been natural exposure to the elements, but sometimes, it was a bad batch of plastic formation that could have been the cause. It the lens itself is too far gone, it might be better to just get a new or NOS version of the lens needed.

Jnaki

Sometimes those compounds are good and sometimes the lens is too far gone. That will be your choice.

15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

if you discolor the lens in the process try a little "dy-chem" red on them...
    i have converted orange to red marker lights...

16. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Some good info in this thread, I hope to polish the windshield for my '29 roadster one day, it has some faint marks left from a windshield wiper.

17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Mothers chrome polish works pretty well.