Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering box questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsvroom, Aug 22, 2021.

1. oldsvroom

oldsvroom

I’m building a v8 car on a model a chassis and was wondering about using an early mustang steering box as apposed to a reverse corvair or a Vega box . Has anyone done this and your results ? Is this a good choice for a box or were they junk? Or not good for a heavy front end?

2. Back in the 70"s they were common.Mounted to steer the front left wheel. Pete,and Jake may yet sell the bracket.Mostly used with a 4 bar front end.

3. oldsvroom

oldsvroom

Could I use this with a hair pin and drop axle set up?

4. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Use a Vega box in a cross steer setup. See Pete and Jakes website. A side steer setup is going to go you fits when it comes to locating the box while keeping the geometry correct.

5. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I'm running a Mustang in my Deuce roadster. Running a sbc and clearance is good. Corvairs are a good fit but be careful as a friend of mine had a Corvair box and the aluminum housing cracked. If I did it over again I would have considered a fifties F-100 box and steering. I see a ton of Vega boxes out there and they great as long as there is clearance with the power plant your using. f100 ford stering shaft and box.jpg left to right 48-52,, 53-56,, 57-63 F100.jpeg