Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mor-Drop Axle width

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Crew Chief, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

Okay you experts, I have a few questions about a Mor-Drop axle. I am building a 30 five window Ford Coupe and am new to this. I have a Boling Brothers 2-5 frame, a 9" Ford rear end that measures 57 5/8" and a Mor-Drop axle. I will be installing a 327 sbc with a Muncie 4 speed.

First off, how do I know if I have a Mor-Drop axle. The elderly gentleman I bought it from told me it was and he was running it in a 34 Ford full fendered pickup. There are no markings on the axle and it looks like a 4" drop. The king pin center line is 49 1/2" and the spring perch CL is 36 1/2". I looked at Super Bell measurements and their widest I beam axle is 48" with exception of their tube axles which can be as wide as 49". The other question is will this axle be too wide for my project and look weird?

2. Good question, how do I know if it’s a Mor-Drop axle? I have one that measures 49 inches and 36 1/2 inches and believe it to be one also. Could you put up a picture or two of yours showing the bends close up?
    I assume yours has a 2” boss.

Crew Chief likes this.
  3. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

I will try and post some photos tomorrow. Have to get on the tractor and do some work before sundown.

4. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is no indication that this what you think it is. Unless Marty Costello handed it to you, it could have been dropped by anyone.

Mor-Drop is long out-of-business, and Marty is long dead.

Crew Chief likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

The guy I got it from was hot rodding back in the 50s and 60s and up until a few years ago. He had a lot of parts in a shipping container and knew what he had. He told me he had it dropped by Mor-Drop but did not mention the date except that it was really old. There are no markings on it except where it looks like someone welded something on the middle top axle. Possibly a hasty tow bar. No matter. I am going to use it unless I find a nicer one. The kingpins are nice and smooth and the perch bosses are good also.

KKrod and 30tudor like this.
  8. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

9. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: when you load photos you see a bar run across the page as the photo loads. It has to go to 100% and the image has to show up.

11. Beyond me but the pictures are in my profile under 1930 Coupe.
    Wanted to compare differences.