Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cam regrind core question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 28fordroadster, Aug 17, 2021.

1. 28fordroadster

28fordroadster

Do any of the cam regrind companies buy flathead ford V8 cam cores?

2. Good question - I have some new ones from Sears I bought at an estate sale along with a bucket full - actually a sack - of new oil pump gears and some other odd new flathead Y block stuff.

Deuces likes this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some time ago I sold several 8ba cams to @KiWinUS

Deuces and KiWinUS like this.
  4. old school rodder

old school rodder

Schneider racing cams buys cam cores. They reground one for me and gave me credit for a core.

Deuces and Desoto291Hemi like this.

5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I believe Oregon Cams does- I remember they would give you a discount if you would purchase a reground cam as opposed to a new core. IIRC they will also regrind lifters

Deuces and saltracer219 like this.
  6. Please forgive my inexperience, but I’ve never used or seen a reground camshaft. When the regrinding process is finished, do they re-harden the lobes? Is the same thing done with reground lifters? Lastly, can they take a stock core and regrind it into a “performance” camshaft? Thanks for the information!

Deuces likes this.
  7. 28fordroadster

28fordroadster

Deuces likes this.
  8. 28fordroadster

28fordroadster

I would like to know the answer to Truckdoctor's question

Deuces and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  9. Hi Andy ,
    No,,,,,regrinding doesn’t cut through the hardness .
    The same with regrinding lifters,,,,it’s deeper than what is removed .
    If you have ever seen it done,,,,,,most of the material removed is from the base circle .
    Very little is removed from the nose of the lobe,,,,unless severe wear is present .
    And yes,,,,,performance profiles can be put onto stock cams,,,,,within reason .
    Very radical profiles are usually incompatible with stock cams,,,,for the simple reason that you also have to grind the shaft between the lobes to clear the lifters .
    So much is removed from the base ,,,,that the shaft core will get thin .
    And since high lifts require high spring pressure,,,,,it is too hard on the core itself,,,,,which might cause a failure .
    Regrinds work very well,,,,,and many shops offer that service ,,,,,you just have to check .
    And really it makes sense ,,,,,all of the hard work has been done.
    They clean it ,,,check it,,,all the critical dimensions are already there ,,,,,set it up and grind away .

Tommy

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  10. Here is a pic of my Flathead cam that Pete reground for me .
    It is a 3/8 Potvin profile,,,,and should be a super good cam when I get around to putting it together .
    He also ground the shaft between the lobes,,,,,stock flathead cams don’t have much meat available at the base circle to start with .
    Isn’t it a thing of beauty,,,,,great job in my opinion !

Tommy

1FDB2BD0-6EBE-43DF-9582-D698E708E70E.jpeg

11. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Back in the day, many performance cams were reground on stock cores, that's how most of the big cam companies started. By reducing the base circle, lift is increased and the ramps are extended for more duration. Lifter/pushrod length needs to be adjusted to make up the difference in the cam circle.

regrind.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  12. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

learn something new every day

Deuces likes this.
  13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

"they" also used to add a lot hard face weld to the lobes for the big grinds, still do for the one-offs, hold up well untill they don't.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I don't see how you would gain any lift, but do see the increase in duration. I guess if the base circle is smaller, it would make it seem like more lift, but wouldn't the top of the lobe still be the same distance from the center of the cam?

Deuces likes this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

The lift is determined by what is happening around the cam. I/e the difference between its open and closed position.

Deuces likes this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lift is the difference between the bottom of the base circle and the top of the lobe. After you adjust the valves to match the reduced base circle they will open further when the lifter is on the tip of the lobe.

Deuces and Carter like this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

OK, that makes sense. I didn't think about that.

Deuces likes this.
  18. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

exactly. try using stock flathead valves with an isky 400jr!

19. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

I have two sets of OE Hemi lifters at Oregon cam. I should get them back pretty soon.

Deuces and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  20. Much appreciated. Thanks again.

Deuces likes this.
  21. PM me with what you have. The condition of each one to include what fuel pump lone looks like & what you want for them. Pics would help. Thanks

22. upload_2021-8-22_16-44-51.jpeg Here is one of my KiWi-L100 cams ready for shipping. Note “Parkerized” finish on lobes just like a new cam from one of your big name grinders.

Deuces, 38Chevy454 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  23. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Been done thousands of times.

24. Looked at mine today and that's what's on the lobes. Thinking I might run one over to Bass to check out.

25. Thank you to all of the Guys that responded to my questions! Once again, the HAMB rocks, and teaches!

Deuces likes this.
  26. With all the complaints of flat tappet cams failing during break-in, I wonder if it would be worth a few extra bucks to go with one that's been "parkerized"? The process doesn't seem to be used as commonly in recent years as it was years ago. Is it a terribly complicated or expensive procedure?

27. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

It doesn't hurt anything to Parkerize FLATHEAD cams but it doesn't help anything either. (assuming the finish is adaquate)
    The lobe and lifter loading is far less than in an overhead valve engine.
    As an example, the very popular 404A radius lifter grind has one of the highest velocity rates of any flathead cam. Only the 505A is more. Properly installed the journals will wear out long before any of the lobes wear out.

The Parkerizing process is quite simple. You mask the journals with some kind of tape and dip the cam in hot water for about a minute. Then dip it in the juice till it stops bubbling. You lift the cam out and dip it in hot water. (the 2 hot water tanks are separate) You lift it out, let it dry and polish the journals. Then squirt it with some kind of lube oil while it is still warm. The lube oil is essential. Contrary to popular opinion, Parkerizing WILL rust if not oiled.

UNSHINED 2 and Deuces like this.
  28. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Little known or noticed facts. On all of our flathead cams, the oil grooves in the front and center journals are deepened and widened for more oil flow. All side surfaces including journals and lobes are machined parallel for less oil drag. The paralleling was not noticable on the dyno with a street engine but made a difference worth doing in an engine with a dry sump or vacuum crankcase. Oil does not like to stick to a smooth surface.

29. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1967.JPG 1007B ground by Pete1 for the 59 engine going in my 41 p/u. Very nice!

Desoto291Hemi likes this.