Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 230 Dodge cracked engine

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by librado65, Aug 20, 2021.

1. librado65

librado65

Well about a month ago, at night as I driving my '50 Coronet home...I heard a loud screech and then a loud boom as smoke started fuming from under the hood. I quickly pulled over as the car was loosing engine power. I got out checked what happened. It was really dark but saw my oil filler tube had exploded off the engine block. The oil filler tube was tangling at the bottom of the engine and the bottom left side of my engine was cracked or busted open.

Obviously the 230 engine is not rebuildable now. But I want to keep the car still original as is. Still 6 volt. Which other engines would be my other options without having to change gyromatic transmission and without having to change rear axle?

This is my first time blowing up an engine.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

The 230 was used in lots of Dodges and Plymouths in the 50s, shouldn't be impossible to find another one.

3. Budget36

Budget36

Oh my she’s hurt bad.

librado65 and Deuces like this.
  4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

JB Weld? Seriously I didn't like seeing that. But as Squirrel said it shouldn't be too tough to find a replacement block. Up here I think they used them into the early sixties: cars, trucks, combines, irrigation pumps, etc.

Deuces likes this.

5. I go to a site on Thursday mornings that has quite a few old Mopars in it, and some still have the engines in them. Let me look around. I pulled the bumpers off of a 50 a couple of months ago for a fellow Hamber and the engine is still there.

librado65 likes this.
  6. Pretty easy to find used up here , prices varry from 200 bucks to 3000 depending on condition but there are 4-5 for sale right now locally to me.
    I know engines in Hamilton ontario don’t help you very much, but they are out there .
    Good luck

7. librado65

librado65

Im in central Florida and I cant seem to find a good 230...Ive come across 201, 218, and 251 spitfire's. One guy told me theres a 230 in his warehouse but never answers his phone. Ive left him messages and still doesnt call back. Only decent running engines Ive come across are out of state and I guess I will have to resort to shipping it in. Doesnt matter. I just want to be driving my Coronet again before the end of the year.

stillrunners likes this.
  8. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

I’ve got a 23” ‘51 218 bare block(same as 230) you’re welcome to, I also have a running but tired ‘52 218. I’m in AZ.

wraymen and Deuces like this.
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Dodge Plymouth Dodge truck and some industrial and marine engines from 1938 on will interchange. Used in cars up to 1959, trucks to 1962, some industrial and marine use to 1972.
    The larger 237 - 251 - 265 Chrysler and DeSoto six will fit with a little finageling. They bolt up to the trans but are a couple inches longer, front motor mounts and rad may need to be relocated. Used in Chrysler Windsor and DeSoto to 1954, also used in some Dodge trucks and military Power Wagons.
    They made millions of them and there are a lot still in service. Should not be too hard to find something and they are not a big demand item. If you find one in a junk yard inspect the left side of the block low down for freezing damage usually a long crack running the length of the block. Should not be a problem in Florida.

The 218 is the same block. You can turn it into a 230 by putting in your crankshaft and rods, unless it was a broken rod that blew your engine. The 251 is the Chrysler engine, it will fit though it is a couple inches longer.

10. 73RR

73RR

Plenty of the 25" engines have been installed in place of the 23". As you might guess, there is a 2" difference in length which is generally solved by moving the radiator 2" forward.
    Keep in mind that shipping a used engine is not crazy expensive but the seller must do a proper job of packaging.
    I just shipped an engine from Oregon down to Utah for $225 with Fastenal.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

265” are the way to go. They were marine also along with farming.

kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to say that since it went bang and then quit with a hole in the side you don't have a crank or all of the rods to reuse.
    That said, you just have to flat ass quit whining and look further afield and make a road trip to go after an engine.
    If you aren't on Allpar Forums they have a section for just about every Mopar model ever made and each section is confined to a select group of models. Meaning that the Hell cat guys are over there <<<< and the flathead six guys are over >>>>-------------> there. I haven't been on there for years but back in my Dodge Grand Caravan days I got a few questions answered.

The flathead was in Dodge cars up though 59 and there should be plenty of them floating around.
    Allpar Forums

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I've got a spare 265 with the full flow oil filter but am 2000 miles away in Canada.

Nailhead A-V8 and librado65 like this.
  14. librado65

librado65

Who said Im whining? So I'm not allowed to search for an engine online and ONLY RESORT TO YOUR METHOD of making road trips to pick up engine? Sometimes that's not an option depending in what industry people work in and the time they have. I post on here to learn and educate myself from others who have done this before me. If I knew it all I wouldnt be posting here nor would I be seeking others opinions.

I have also checked out that forum and the section of classic cars is hardly active compared to this one and p15d24. Thanks for your comment

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    southerncad, Deuces and ClayMart like this.
  15. librado65

librado65

The issue Im finding with the 25" vs 23" engines...I keep hearing different things what has to be done to get it working. Some guys have told me I need to get an OD trans. One guy said upgrade the rear axle gear ratio. Most have said what you also mentioned of moving radiator 2" forward. Since I want to drive the car and not have it just sitting around while I try to figure out what happens next...Im just trying to find an engine that'll bolt right in. Ive learned from past experience of starting a project car and then car ends up sitting for months-years because what was suppose to something simple ended up being too much thus leading me to just selling the car.

As far as shipping...Im willing to pay as long as its the engine thatll fit in. Thank you for your comment

Deuces and Guy Patterson like this.
  16. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

The running, tired 218 I pulled a few weeks ago from my ‘53 1/2 ton would work but you will need to put the car oil pan on it and maybe your flywheel and crank pulley. You also need to measure the length of the head to determine if yours is a 23” or 25” block.

Are you able to crank your engine over or see if there is a connecting rod that busted out?

onetrickpony likes this.
  17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you buy an engine and want to freshen it up, Vintage Power Wagons has good deals on parts. Dodge Power Wagons used the same engine.

18. 8B37964D-72FB-4470-8779-65BD88539CAD.jpeg
    don’t know if this helps any.

19. Budget36

Budget36

Is there that noticeable of a power/performance difference between a 218 and a 230? My last 218 I used .080 pistons in it, I’d imagine (never did the math) put it over 230 cu/in anyways?
    When I was “on the hunt” for one, I only found 1 230 for sale within decent driving distance, several 218’s.

20. squirrel

squirrel

.080 over 218 comes out to just under 229 ci.

Deuces and Guy Patterson like this.
  21. These are all in Ontario with a quick search on facefart marketplace

these are great engines and poop up with relative frequency here. Not sure if the sellers are willing to ship but might be worth asking . DDEF4173-5067-4CED-A8D3-2311B2D207BF.png DDEA87BF-8BF4-43ED-9EBA-0FBFBBEDD35B.png C5FF0813-85CB-4B3A-B139-6535093D4AE0.png

Beanscoot likes this.
  22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Canadian Dodge/Plymouth/Dodge trucks used a version of the long Chrysler engine with bore and stroke reduced to 218 or 228 cu in. So they are longer than the US Dodge/Plymouth flatty.

23. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Man you canadians get some of the most interesting car parts

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  24. librado65

librado65

Been trying to remove things from the engine in preparation for the engine removal. Saw this while under the car. Look at the hole in the oil pan (notice the metal pieces) it had ripped through. Looks like shrapnel. Parts Ive desconnected so far: generator (barely hanging on by a thread), fuel line, manifold bolts, and rear engine mounts. Still trying to figure out what else I need to remove/desconnect by referring to manual and scouring through the forum. Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

25. Deuces

Deuces

OUCH!.....:(

hidez57 and fauj like this.
  26. noboD

noboD

Too much overdrive on the blower.

fauj likes this.
  27. Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold and remove the manifold. Radiator hoses, radiator to prevent accidental damage, fan, throttle linkage, and wiring to the dizzy. Will also probably have to remove the hood.
    While most of the engines at the site I go to are rebuild able, none are running so I cannot help. I would search CL.

28. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I been following you. What a shame, good luck with it!

29. KenC

KenC

I mentioned this on P15-D24, the longer engines are not a big deal to install. Maybe 2-4 hours extra work. IMO, if one is available near you that is the correct solution.
    Move the radiator to the front of the radiator support, drill 4 holes for the front motor mount 2" forward of the existing, and maybe a slight oil pan mod at the front crossmember. The last depends on the chassis, and I don't remember if the 50 requires it, 46-48 do.

Otherwise, grab the first 218/230 core you find and build it. Shipping big stuff has become really expensive recently.