Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The coolest book I have seen in a long time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stllrng., Aug 20, 2021.

1. 50C280AC-58CF-4C45-AB3A-EC2F6BA03320.jpeg 50C280AC-58CF-4C45-AB3A-EC2F6BA03320.jpeg 38BC5B72-60B8-4B61-BE5F-7FDEC82F3189.jpeg 5B916D59-951A-4791-976A-832BA9801556.jpeg 2E7997E3-9694-41FA-B559-A6592DA3588B.jpeg 7FA19BEF-FD47-43B2-BAC8-4A29722CA7EF.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. 2935ford

2935ford

Now we know who to contact for info! :)

3. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Irreplaceable information in there.

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have one - it's supplied lots of info over the years.

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  5. That is a good book,,,,it would be very helpful .

I’ll bet Moriarity has a pristine copy in his library,,,,maybe two .
    Lol,,,,,I’m joking a little,,,,but I would bet if anyone has a copy,,,he does !

Tommy

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. Paging @carbking

That’s a neat book with tons of info.

7. carbking

carbking

Carter published LOTS of useful information over the decades, as did other carburetor companies.

Carter information came in loose-leaf books, like the one shown, and paper-bound books of varying pages.

The binder shown is one of the Master Parts Manuals (loose-leaf). Quite common for mechanics to add the paper-bound books inside the hard binding. The Master Parts Manuals would have from 1 to 8 pages of parts info, specifications, and service info on each Carter carburetor.

The very first Carter manual, printed in 1923, has eluded my efforts to find one; although I do have photocopies of most, maybe all, of the pages.

The next edition was published in 1931, and was loose-leaf, but paper-bound. I have a new old stock copy, still with the original shipping box! The hard-bound manuals came out in the mid-1930's. Some of them have both hard spine, and hard backs; others a hard spine, and soft backs. Both were expandable, but the ones with the hard backs have a larger spine, thus can be expanded further, maybe to about 6 inches.

The first of the these manuals were maroon, from about 1935 or so to about 1960. From 1961 or so to the end (about 1985) the binders were white, with green lettering. Sometime during the late 1960's, manuals that were green with black lettering were sent out containing performance material.

The paper-bound books were sales oriented: there are books on repair kits, new carburetors, divorced chokes, fast selling parts (fuel valves, pumps, jets, etc.) fuel pumps, etc., etc., etc. Dozens of different of these can be seen in the Carter literature section of my website: https://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carbshop_lit-Carter.htm

I think, other than the afore-mentioned 1923 book, I probably have everything Carter printed to send out to their US dealers, jobbers, and distributors (different information for each group), plus the surviving Carter drawings, and in-house literature. When Carter was bought in the 1980's, the Engineering Group was ordered to "get rid of" this material. No method of disposal was suggested; but the material DID leave St. Louis ;)

Jon

8. carbking

carbking

Just noted the OP is from Canada. Carter had different carburetors, thus different cataloging for those residing in Canada.

Jon

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I bought mine off the HAMB classifieds for 50 bucks. Thought it was a heck of a deal. And I don`t call myself a mechanic by no means.

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have one of those, mine goes to 1959 if I remember correctly.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Amazing what "used to be" before computers took over.

12. That's what the parts counter guys used before they had computers. HRP

[​IMG]

13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I have that book. Saw it just the other year.
    Well, it might have been 10 years ago.
    OK, it's around here somewhere.

14. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

The gospel according to Carter...

loudbang likes this.
  15. Everything you needed was compiled in that one catalog/binder holder..

At work I have 8 of those and it is still very incomplete for what is sold today. DORMAN will NOT give out or print a new wheel stud/lug nut book They say use the website ! or our own cataloging...
    The old paper book showed wheel studs at exact length and size.. Hard to do on a PC Monitor UGH !

19Eddy30, loudbang, egads and 2 others like this.
  16. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Been one for sale around here but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.......I just got to many as it is !

loudbang likes this.
  18. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

EED0997E-B943-43D4-BAD8-F39DCABFABEE.jpeg This is the Aussie Bendix version of that Carter book. Runs to 500 pages. Lots of B-model Strommie info, less so EE’s (we didn’t sell many 98s locally).

A long time ago I mailed the book to Clive in Old Blighty to scan what he needed (he does own the Strommie intellectual property after all). Felt good to give back - Clive is good people.

Carbking, if you ever want that info let me know and I’ll mail the book to you. Scan what you want, send the book back. The book has been round the world once, figure a second journey won’t hurt it :D

cheers,
    Harv

19. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I personally miss parts books ,
    Some of the simplest information cannot be found on the Web.

stillrunners, loudbang and LOST ANGEL like this.
  20. carbking

carbking

Harv - THANK YOU! What a nice offer!

Actually, as I have custody of the surviving Stromberg USA documentation (books, drawings, archived material, etc.), I have a copy of that book, and also a later printing (1975, if I remember correctly) of the same book, with updated data.

The chief engineer at Stromberg USA had quite a bit on other than Stromberg USA documentation in his office.

Stromberg USA, in about 1950, decided to archive their obsolete drawings, on microfilm. I have (23) 500 foot rolls of obsolete drawings stored in this fashion. While I am delighted that the material was saved, I wish it could have been on some other media. I have spent thousands of dollars (and hours) digitizing this material, and will not live long enough to finish the task. Carter did the same thing in the late 1960's, and used 80 column aperature cards for media. Still not overly user-friendly, but much more so than 500 foot microfilm rolls.

I also have the copies of the surviving Kingston prints. Of course, this is probably of little interest to enthusiasts on this forum.

Zenith is another carburetor company that has excellent documentation.

In all, carburetor books (not including filmstrips, records, drawings, aperature cards, etc.) occupy 132 linear feet of shelf space in our business. This represents data of 110 different carburetor manufacturers.

Jon.

21. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

It is a very small world. I would have figured the chances of that Aussie Strommie book existing in the US would be low. For you to not only have it, but to remember it, is pretty damn cool.

Yep, two addendums on the book - 1970 and 1979 (we ran the BX carb through to 1980 locally before moving on to the Rochester Varajet).

Thankyou for saving the history over the years. Once it's lost, its gone.

I need to increase my library... only 18 linear feet of (mostly GM Holden) literature :D

Cheers,
    Harv

loudbang and kadillackid like this.
  22. carbking

carbking

Harv - at one time, I actually had two of them. Maybe 10 years ago, I sent the spare to a good friend in the Customer Service Dept at Zenith USA.

Jon.

23. That’s good to know; but I can say that Canada is not mentioned in the book yet it mentions USA on most pages

24. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DHi HRP.That was back when people could actually read and comprehend the English language:rolleyes::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

stillrunners likes this.