Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 firewall question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hybrid Vigor, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Hybrid Vigor

Hybrid Vigor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Austin, TX

Hey y'all, I have a quick 32 firewall question. I've now received two firewalls from United Pacific and on both of them one leg is bent inward. The first one I thought it had gotten bent in shipping as the box was fully boogered up. The second one (See attached photo) has got the same leg bent inward as well. I'm new to 32s so my question is...is it supposed to be like that? I could bend it back but I'm concerned the rivets at that leg could pop due to where it's bent Firewall.jpg .

2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Interesting...I be watching.

3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Looks like something is a miss . Both sides should be sitting on the same flat area of the frame . Notice how lt side is flat on the ground , and rt side is somewhat raised . It’s bent . I would contact them again with photos . It can be fixed , but it was supposed to be new and not need any repair work .

Outside us and 55willys like this.
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've had a couple like that and I just bolted the left side to the frame and pulled the right leg into position. Contacting them will probably not get much of a response. I bought body number 11 and it was POS. They had plausible deniability.

5. No, it's bent, as already said.

As a thought, I wonder if these get drop shipped from somewhere? Or, if not, when UP receive the parts from the manufacturing facility (off shore)...do they check them before selling to customers?

I don't expect anyone to have answers, but this is another example of businesses selling products blindly. I mean if you're selling a 4 leg table, you need to make sure it has 4 legs before sending it to the customer.

Someone I knew who had things manufactured off shore once told me, "In China, there is no such thing as seconds."

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I serious thinking this is another off shore product or purchased from someone who is importing . It can be fixed , but you should not have to fix it .

Funny thing to think about , I was discussing with a couple Buds , years ago I hated to get a Jap part today I feel lucky to get one with Jap quality . Just give this statement some thinking . This great nation is in serious serious trouble .

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Like others said "Bent""
    I have hade several Dealing with U-P,
    Your Call / Complaint will fall on
    Death Ear !!!! The Mentality of SO many Companies , Its all the same
    ""B-S "" None of So many Replacement parts are Not Made Like Originals ,
    (several companies)

But most people will say @ least we have it Available!

I say Do Not Market / Advertised as Made exactly as ""Original"

8. clem

clem

No, as Krylon32 said, pull it back.
    ( sometimes it is quicker to fix the problem than spend copious amounts of time trying to get them to fix it, - not the right way to go about it, but often the easiest).

pprather likes this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Agree. With 'Repro' parts it's simple:
    "Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you."

10. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

As with any after market parts, some massaging my be necessary. Could be worse with oem deuce parts

11. Hybrid Vigor

Hybrid Vigor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Austin, TX

Thanks for the replies y'all. I think I'll go with what @clem and @krylon32 suggested to do. I really don't want to have to mess around with trying to get a third replacement. As a side note I bought a fair amount of parts from UP directly all at once (Figured I'd start a relationship with them and that the original company would be easier to deal with) then had to return them. It was a total pain in the ass as they are pretty inflexible and don't discount their parts very often. I should have bought them from one of their distributors who have more leeway in returns and pricing parts cheaper.

12. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep it!-----Like so many said----Too much trouble & time lost. I agree with Krylon32.

13. clem

clem

and who probably would have straightened it themselves and sold to the next unsuspecting customer ….:)

14. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

As long as it's somewhere near the mark with repro I'm satisfied , most used parts are victims of people's abuse over the years so I just get on with it , repro is shit 99 percent of the time but if we didn't have it hot rodding be dead years ago , thank heavens for repro and fibreglass , a repro body built in a traditional hot rod style is ok by me

15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Redefines the term "drop shipped" like others said, just massage it out